Tortola-Taking the Island Tour

blondie from arizona

Can't really comment on the operator, but with a private tour you can see a bit more than with the typical "cookie cutter" tour. The other islands are Beef Island where Trellis Bay and Long Bay are located on either end of the airport, and probably Soper's Hole on the West End.

In my opinion $100pp is very expensive unless that price includes a lunch at D' Coal Pot or Fish & Lime and some beach time, as well as beverages on the tour and an air-conditioned van.

The tours offered at the pier give you a good overview of Tortola and leave time for the beach or shopping.

So the private tour gives you more flexibility at a higher price.

Can't really comment on the operator, but with a private tour you can see a bit more than with the typical "cookie cutter" tour. The other islands are Beef Island where Trellis Bay and Long Bay are located on either end of the airport, and probably Soper's Hole on the West End.

In my opinion $100pp is very expensive unless that price includes a lunch at D' Coal Pot or Fish & Lime and some beach time, as well as beverages on the tour and an air-conditioned van.

The tours offered at the pier give you a good overview of Tortola and leave time for the beach or shopping.

So the private tour gives you more flexibility at a higher price.

Sorry, no help in making your decision!

Thanks for the input, blue water. I didn't want to list his name in fairness to his future business. I might reach out to him and try to negotiate a bit lower price, or we can just wing it when we dock.

And thanks so much for all your advice I've read in so many other threads. You are a wealth of information, and the way you present it is easy to understand. I knew you'd be the one to answer my question! Happy to meet you. ☺

I was able to negotiate the price down to $200, so we're going with this operator. If everything goes as planned, and with his OK, I'll post his contact info along with a quick review. We're really looking forward to this stop - it's our first time in Tortola.

• 3 weeks later...

Are taxi tours at the port available throughout the day, or should we plan on disembarking as soon as possible? Ship's version of Island Tour leaves at 8:30 or 1:00. Some in my group aren't early risers and would prefer something around 10. Yet I don't want to get off the ship and find no taxi tours available!

Dirk

• 2 weeks later...
I was able to negotiate the price down to $200, so we're going with this operator. If everything goes as planned, and with his OK, I'll post his contact info along with a quick review. We're really looking forward to this stop - it's our first time in Tortola.

We are back from our cruise, and I'm happy to report our Tortola tour went off without a hitch. I checked with the tour operator, and he was happy to have his name and contact information posted here.

His name is Liston Williams, and his email is listonwilliams43@hotmail.com. He gave us a great tour. He is very knowledgeable and kept feeding us information and facts about all the places we passed, as well as general information about Tortola and the entire Virgin Islands. He took us to some spots that I'm pretty sure not many tourists go to, which was really nice.

Even though he is quite elderly, I felt his driving was absolutely perfect, and I never felt like his age was an issue. I would recommend contacting him if you would like a little something extra versus just getting a taxi at the pier.

We are back from our cruise, and I'm happy to report our Tortola tour went off without a hitch. I checked with the tour operator, and he was happy to have his name and contact information posted here.

His name is Liston Williams, and his email is listonwilliams43@hotmail.com. He gave us a great tour. He is very knowledgeable and kept feeding us information and facts about all the places we passed, as well as general information about Tortola and the entire Virgin Islands. He took us to some spots that I'm pretty sure not many tourists go to, which was really nice.

Even though he is quite elderly, I felt his driving was absolutely perfect, and I never felt like his age was an issue. I would recommend contacting him if you would like a little something extra versus just getting a taxi at the pier.

Great! Thanks for reporting back on your experience, and it's nice to read that you enjoyed the tour. Tortola really is a beautiful island with so many areas that are still pretty secluded.

Thanks again!:)