Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Enjoy Alcatraz Terry!

Appreciate these nice wishes from mysty. Sorry my earlier post as we arrived in San Francisco got mixed up. We were running out of Internet time on the ship. Here is the more complete postings as intended. WOW!! That's lots of snow for JP and Chris in Albany.

Passed under the Golden Gate Bridge a little before 6 am today, Wednesday, March 15. Fascinating!! Very foggy conditions that limited what we we could see and that I could capture in photographs. Could hear those unique fog horns going off!! Got docked in San Francisco with the Island Princess backed in at the Port of San Francisco, Dock 27 location. New and fairly nice terminal. Still dark when we docked. Sunrise was around 7:28 am.

Only took about 20 minutes by cab from Pier 27 to our JW Marriott hotel near Union Square. Nice to not be driving here with their congestion and traffic. Got a high hotel floor and was able to check in to our room when we arrived. Got in our room about 9:40 am. Nice and efficient timing for getting off of the ship, grabbing bags, customs, etc.!! Unpacked a little in our hotel room, am relaxing and catching up on the web. Getting off of the slow and costly ship Internet is a very nice improvement.

After doing Alcatraz at noon today, I will have many more pictures to share.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 222,640 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

So Terry, you docked about 2 miles from my little sister's place in the Marina district. Your pier was along the Embarcadero, where we've run in the past (there's a 5K there every year for those of us who are sane enough to NOT run the ST marathon.

Enjoy your time in SF. Any time in Napa or Sonoma planned?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Spins...three ships...three coolers cruising....you are quite right...it is our turn!!

Alcatraz is eerie...but l didn't see any spirits other than the norm! 😉

Hope all the snowbound will be unbound soon....please don't send that storm over here to us....not holding my breath......but we just can't cope!!

Cousins really enjoyed the white stuff in NY......loved CP and the natural history museum today before their journey on to California and finally on to Vegas where they are taking a road trip on a Harley to the GC....great stuff......

S ☺️

Cousins really enjoyed the white stuff in NY......loved CP and the natural history museum today before their journey on to California and finally on to Vegas where they are taking a road trip on a Harley to the GC....great stuff......

S ☺️

That sounds like a lot of fun! CP is Central Park, I assume? The Natural History Museum is amazing - it takes multiple visits to see most of it.

Las Vegas is an interesting slice of America. And the Grand Canyon is awe-inspiring. We spent a day hiking part way down and back. So impressive. And lunch on the rim after we got back, with nice cold beer and wine, was even better!

"Las Vegas is an interesting slice of America." Yes, JP, and many people only consider its tackiness, but not its particularity. We have visited with an open mind, and - mindful of the cliché "Disney for Adults" - really have enjoyed it. The shows are wonderful, of course, and the themed hotels provide entertainment. The pools are too shallow for my taste, but, in reality, nobody swims; all hang around just to be seen and admired. Neither DH nor I gamble, and yet we can spend a long weekend with much to entertain us. Many good restaurants, too... It's a pity that the Liberacci Museum closed. It was well worth admiring all the pianos and memorabilia. Then, of course, there are the nearby parks, Zion, for example. Also the Hoover Dam is impressive. Once is enough, but, if you are nearby for any reason, don't miss it.

Yes, Las Vegas can be a lot of fun. The themed hotels are enjoyable, and the restaurant scene is amazing. That is our favorite part, if you were wondering...we haven't gambled there in at least 20 years. We love the Julian Serrano tapas restaurant in Aria, and the Daniel Bouloud place in he Venetian of all places (why not in Paris?)

We had the most fun time going there about 2 years ago and revisiting Luxor, which we hadn't seen in many years. We'd been to Egypt to see the real thing in 2011, but walking through Luxor again, we got to compare and contrast what was real vs. contrived. And it brought back some nice memories of our trips. Same with the Paris Las Vegas property. And Bellagio is gorgeous too. Of course it's not Paris, or Lake Como, but it can remind you of them.

We had to shovel two feet of snow off the front walk today, so that our house guests can make it to the front door this weekend. That was not fun.

Afterwards, we were stumped with what to make for dinner tonight, so we had a glass of Riesling and looked at recipes. I settled on a mishmash of two different recipes: Spaghetti with mushroom-bacon vinaigrette, and roasted mushrooms with creamy semolina. We had already eaten the leftover duck ragu for lunch, so I didn't want more pasta, but the plain roasted mushrooms looked uninspiring.

So I made the bacon-mushroom vinaigrette from the first recipe, with sliced mushrooms fried with bacon, onions, and garlic, then finished with balsamic. Instead of putting that over pasta, I made the semolina from the second recipe. Semolina flour, whisked into hot chicken broth until it was creamy, then a little butter and Parmesan cheese. It was like a light and airy version of polenta.

So the semolina was the base, and the bacon-mushroom-onion-garlic vinaigrette was the sauce. Though this sounds complicated, it really came together quickly, and it only took about 20 minutes to cook.

A little grated cheese and chopped parsley to finish. One picture shows the mushroom sauce, and the other shows the semolina more clearly.

96e8f07cd7aca1c64769697181a9fc8c.jpg

b7cb6198cfc188a9da972da90b7866cc.jpg

Of course it was time to switch to a red wine - Montepulciano d'Abruzzo was what came out of the wine refrigerator tonight.

Happy evening to all.

That sounds like a lot of fun! CP is Central Park, I assume? The Natural History Museum is amazing - it takes multiple visits to see most of it.

Las Vegas is an interesting slice of America. And the Grand Canyon is awe-inspiring. We spent a day hiking part way down and back. So impressive. And lunch on the rim after we got back, with nice cold beer and wine, was even better!

Yes JP, CP is Central Park....my bad for being lazy!

I found Vegas...'interesting' had a few days there for my 60th but would be in no rush to go back.

We did the Hoover Dam by private limo and loved that trip as we got there very early...and before all the coaches...so had a quiet time exploring.

Enjoying our current spring like weather here but forecasters tell us that you are indeed sending the storm over to us so all will change tomorrow!

Off to the river pub later for a girlie lunch..it may just be warm enough to sit outside...

Happy Day All

S😊

Greetings Coolers! The snow has stopped! Hurray! We have sun but no warmth from the star!

JP....That meal looks divine! If I had to start with a blank sheet I would end up with toast and peanut butter. :(

Miss S...Enjoy your river pub lunch! Hope you get to enjoy your spring-like weather!

J...Hope your wife enjoyed her jaunt to London!

Have a great day/evening all!

Well cruisers, I am finally feeling somewhat better. Not 100% but I feel I can function today. It was all I could do to get through my new hire orientation and first official day at my new job this week. I am actually at work today, but they are going easy on me.

I finished my review of the Wind cruise and it is posted on this board. Feel free to read and ask question or give your opinions. Usually I am more of a writer and go into more detail, but due to the medicine head feeling, I pretty much stuck to the experience/events this time.

I have tomorrow off and am looking forward to the long weekend. I have passed on my sickness to my husband, so I need to care for him because he did such a good job taking care of me this week.

Welcome back from your illness. Glad you finished the review. We haven't done a Caribbean itinerary in about 15 years. The islands sounded fun. Some were familiar from visits long ago, some not. Guadalupe sounds fun. Being named Jean-Paul would help immensely!

Hope the weekend of rest leads to a full recovery, and that you're ready to dive into the new job on monday.

Welcome back from your illness. Glad you finished the review. We haven't done a Caribbean itinerary in about 15 years. The islands sounded fun. Some were familiar from visits long ago, some not. Guadalupe sounds fun. Being named Jean-Paul would help immensely!

Hope the weekend of rest leads to a full recovery, and that you're ready to dive into the new job on monday.

Thanks for the welcome back! It seems my cold has just settled in my eyes and nose today. I am not feeling as bad, but still tired. I imagine there will be a lot of napping this weekend.

My new job is going well. I am a psychologist, so starting at a new practice always starts out slow. I had 4 new patient evaluations yesterday, and absolutely nothing scheduled today. Tomorrow is a short day, and I only have one new patient eval scheduled. I am enjoying the slow pace as I build up a caseload. A welcome reprieve considering.

Good evening M,

You'll have to buy him a Neapolitan pizza oven for his birthday! Domestics top out at around 500 f, and a Neapolitan reaches 1000 or so and that causes the spotting. Pizza cooks in around 70 - 90 seconds.

If you google pizza leopard spot you'll find a whole sub-human culture of obsessives.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Seriously! J...I googled the pizza leopard spot and there were about 588,000 results! Myster will be intrigued to say the least! His birthday is in May and a pizza that cooks in around 70 - 90 seconds may well be his Holy Grail! :) Thanks for the tip!

I'm looking forward (hopefully) seeing Mysters pizza tomorrow. I think we talked about pizza dough quite a lot a year or two back.

He shouldn't build hopes up to high. My memory is hazy but I seem to remember that it is difficult or maybe impossible to find ovens that reach that temperature on 120 volts. It is one thing that American pizza makers envy about Europe.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'll put my beloved Francis on the counter in the kitchen so we can capture Myster's creation. I did try to find a Neapolitan pizza oven available in Canada with disappointing results! I will continue to investigate. It makes me happy to make Myster happy! Sappy, I know, but true!

Looking forward to Francis taking some lovely piccies!

Be inquisitive about any oven claimed suitable for Neapolitan. Many in the UK top out at around 600 or so and that is way too low. Whilst you can cook any pizza style in a genuine Neapolitan pizza oven you can't cook a genuine Neapolitan in 95% of industrial pizza ovens, and you will only get one in a caterers suppliers. Mine had to be imported from Italy for me and it took three months.

Another option is a stove top Ferrari oven. These take a bit of experimentation to master, I have a couple but found them hard to master. The issue is that they only have a top burner and not one heating the lower stone.

My oven is used much more than I expected. I also use it for flat breads and bagels and it can't be beaten. It is almost impossible to buy real bagels or balys in the UK so I sometimes get desperate. Normally at around 3am ......and Brick Lane is a long way from Hampshire but I was so desperate before ai got the oven I once drove for several hours t get some, but they were finished by the time I got home.

Bagel memories below. As you can see, we love them charred .... and baguettes ... and country rye ..

8bc5695fde608a281a1c6c6f61a4c8a5.jpg

714c0afd051c7876f26725a35d11d9ad.jpg

9505607c0ed67a22def1e97409bb09c2.jpg

a509d5ebb84f2de4abdbae545e0e6001.jpg

B377F655-E133-4CA9-85B1-3222CA9161B3.jpg

Camera

iPad

Focal Length

4.28mm

Aperture

f/2.4

Exposure

1/15s

ISO

4B15C5CA-8C37-45E9-BD02-2B5ABC4D5A70.jpg

Camera

iPad

Focal Length

4.28mm

Aperture

f/2.4

Exposure

1/40s

ISO

Camera

iPad

Focal Length

4.28mm

Aperture

f/2.4

Exposure

1/40s

ISO

Camera

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Sorry about the gaps! Can't seem to control them.

I know we talked about this some time ago, but I do so hope Myster gets into the real magic of dough! It really is so consuming and now with a bit of time it is a real future challenge. His cooking is so good it'd be great if he added bread etc.

Jeff

I so agree! My secret passion is a wonderful bread dripping with butter! So very difficult to indulge that passion with store bought.

If you have some fridge space (or some space for another fridge ......) Myster can batch make the dough once a week and keep it in it tubs in the fridge and it improves in flavour to become a sort of "sourdough lite" and all you need is a quick knead and into an oven each day. If he decides to, I'll happily take him through how to make a standard oven into a temprorary French steam oven for bagguettes ......

Edited by UKCruiseJeff