Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

JP, lovely ribs. Lovely. I'm hungry and I am going to have one of those late nights up .....

Jeff, my husband has wanted to build a pizza oven in the back yard for ages! I make thin crust pizza also, just didn't have a photo in my phone. I like making large batches of dough and keeping it around as well.

I will have to remember to take pictures of the food at my dinner party this weekend. I'm making Braciole!! Also, homemade NY cheesecake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shots,

I'm surprised at you, and to be honest just a touch disappointed .. as a culinary psychologist you of all people should understand this blokey thing about all blokes believing they can cook over open flames. It is a primeval thing as we both know. A cave man thing. A bit of the brain in the north-east vector, just behind that bit that makes men think they can always drive to an unknown destination without needing a map or GPS is that bit of brain that makes them think that they can cook raw meat on open flames in the open air and it is going to turn out edible. Next to that vector is the “I'd like an outdoor pizza oven” vector.

The fact is that the whole idea of a pizza oven is to cook a pizza in around 60 seconds, and if you can fit three in at a time and you're cooking six pizza, the whole thing is over in around two minutes, just like so many other things (nudge, nudge, wink wink ;) ) that us blokes think we're good at. So spending three hours getting an enormous expensive outside oven hot enough to cook all the pizza you're going to need in two minutes sounds like a great idea in the head, doesn't it! But in the end, it's a lovely thing to really want but after a few pizza it tends to be left as a large ornament! There is nothing worst than spending all those hours getting hot and sweaty just for it all to be over in a couple of minutes. And even then two out of the three will be burnt! (n)

The fact is that my indoor lava grill gets used in the summer instead of the outdoor bbq because it cooks easier and better and has the same taste, and a turn a knob and go away and it warms up and it's the same with my indoor pizza oven which only takes an hour and a half to reach just under 1000f compared to several hours of constant attention for the beehive. So the behive is really for other things

Talk him out of it Shots!

Hello Coolers! Shots, you have joined the exclusive club of expert chefs serving virtual food to us, virtual hungry customers of this thread. Keep your pictures coming!

Very busy day yesterday in Buffalo, NY, but kept abreast of the sad happenings in London. Our world has changed but we will not give up on it, much less the people of London who have gone through so much. We will be in London after disembarking in Southhampton in May and plan on enjoying the city.

Off to the gym now. Have a great day, everybody!

JP, lovely ribs. Lovely. I'm hungry and I am going to have one of those late nights up .....

Shots,

I'm surprised at you, and to be honest just a touch disappointed .. as a culinary psychologist you of all people should understand this blokey thing about all blokes believing they can cook over open flames. It is a primeval thing as we both know. A cave man thing. A bit of the brain in the north-east vector, just behind that bit that makes men think they can always drive to an unknown destination without needing a map or GPS is that bit of brain that makes them think that they can cook raw meat on open flames in the open air and it is going to turn out edible. Next to that vector is the “I'd like an outdoor pizza oven” vector.

The fact is that the whole idea of a pizza oven is to cook a pizza in around 60 seconds, and if you can fit three in at a time and you're cooking six pizza, the whole thing is over in around two minutes, just like so many other things (nudge, nudge, wink wink ;) ) that us blokes think we're good at. So spending three hours getting an enormous expensive outside oven hot enough to cook all the pizza you're going to need in two minutes sounds like a great idea in the head, doesn't it! But in the end, it's a lovely thing to really want but after a few pizza it tends to be left as a large ornament! There is nothing worst than spending all those hours getting hot and sweaty just for it all to be over in a couple of minutes. And even then two out of the three will be burnt! (n)

The fact is that my indoor lava grill gets used in the summer instead of the outdoor bbq because it cooks easier and better and has the same taste, and a turn a knob and go away and it warms up and it's the same with my indoor pizza oven which only takes an hour and a half to reach just under 1000f compared to several hours of constant attention for the beehive. So the behive is really for other things

Talk him out of it Shots!

Thanks for the laughs, made my morning!

We have 3 grills, a smoker, and a BBQ fire pit, so I completely get the "man with fire". I like to burn meat over fire myself, and have been accused of being a "Pyro".

The oven you have is more than intriguing to me, although I'm all for the outdoor pizza oven. We just haven't worked on a patio remodel to accommodate it.

Mmm. Shots, looking forward to the weekend food pics.

The ribs were worth the wait. The sauce reduced significantly and the honey flavor got a little caramelized so it went well with a Rioja red.

0729391b33e92096dcce1c1ea4fd8d61.jpg

Some roasted potatoes added crunch to the tender meat.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Looks wonderful!

Greetings Coolers! Another crisp day today - sunshine but no heat! And it seems there is snow in the forecast for Sunday (our flying out day). Fingers crossed that doesn't happen!

Apropos of nothing.......I have discovered a very interesting magazine called 1843. According to the About blurb on the website: "The Economist’s bi-monthly magazine of ideas, culture and lifestyle. Aimed at the globally curious, every issue includes in-depth features, as well as culture, design, technology, travel, style, food and drink, and body and mind." If you are interested here is the link: https://www.1843magazine.com/

I am not associated with the magazine in any way. :) Just thought I would share with people who might enjoy something a little different.

Have a great day/evening all!

What mouthwatering delights we have....well done Shots for mastering the visuals.....l must try harder on that score!

It's been a beautiful spring day here and l enjoyed yet another ladies who lunch day out...this time alcohol free but equally enjoyable.

I am being taken out this weekend for Mothers Day.....but on Saturday before the rip off merchants double the prices of everything from food to flowers......we also lose an hour on Saturday so our evenings will become lighter and hopefully more pleasant and l will hopefully get in the mood for sorting the garden out and utilising the greenhouse....being a complete novice ...but willing to have a go!!

On a foodie note ...I am looking for a type of griddle pan that l can place on the electric hob to cook steak....haven't a clue if this is possible so any advice would be most welcome....

S ☺️

Sophia, I am fond of cast iron. If you get a quality one and season it well, it will last ages and provide wonderful flavor to steak. I cook all my steak in a super hot cast iron skillet. (See picture I posted of the steak, that was cooked in cast iron.) I find I get the perfect char with a medium-rare center, which is how I prefer my steak. You can always finish in the oven for something more well-done (although I think it is a SIN to over cook a good steak, despite what my President prefers :eek:!!).

I find I get the perfect char with a medium-rare center, which is how I prefer my steak. You can always finish in the oven for something more well-done (although I think it is a SIN to over cook a good steak, despite what my President prefers :eek:!!).

Blasphemy!

I agree. Any good piece of steak cooked over medium-rare is tragic. One of the many reasons I like visiting France...they never overcook your steak there. Steak frites, cuisiné à pointe...yum! C'est délicieux!

Simple dinner tonight. Veal scallopini with prosciutto. Mushrooms cooked in Marsala wine with a rosemary sprig. Served over orchiette pasta with a California rosé.

9e4b7b7b058dd5782ee8194599176e47.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Edited by jpalbny

Good Morning all ....... and an extremely lovely food piccy JP. Lot's of strong flavours.

Sadly another couple added to the toll following the event in London a few days ago. A pensioner and an American cizitizen celebrating their wedding anniversary in our home town. Very sad.

The only antidote to this terrible trend are concerted and visible loud efforts by the all of those in the communities that produce people that have become disjointed and radicalised. The faith are rapidly approaching the largest religous grouping in the World and their teachers, parents, grandparents, imams and citizens must become much more vocal in their condemnation of dangerous faux religous doctrines that make recreational carnage a part. It saddens me that they do not have an equivalent of a Pope or other leader figure-head because of their own terrible wars and disagreements about the "rightful heir", and that we do not hear more from the communities involved. The people on the path of being radicalised are not going to listen to discontent from anyone other than their own communities, mothers, father, grandparents and imams. In the UK we have the Prevent programme, but the key participants that it relies on are the communities themselves.

Until we here those of the faith condemning evry day, day in and day out on TV, radio and in the press radical Islamism then this is not going to go away. I wish I saw more of them saying so.

Greetings Coolers! We were expecting 2-4 cm of snow yesterday. We got close to 15 cm. Now, we have freezing rain in the forecast for tomorrow afternoon. Guess when our flight is scheduled to depart. Yes! Tomorrow afternoon! The weather gods are messing with us here. I may have to sacrifice my oldest child. Kidding! Maybe!

Miss S. and Spins......have a marvelous time on your cruises!

Have a great weekend all!

Mysty and Sophia,

I have been thinking about you both!

Hopefully Mysty has packed her valises and is ready to go. Bon voyage and keep us posted.

Sophia, I can't wait to hear all about your cruise too! Have you chosen your wardrobe?

Interesting discussion on another thread regarding dress code on the Muse.

All very exciting.

Lovely food photos all!

Hi All......

Spins...I have been thinking about you also....not long now for us three coolers....other bars to sit at for a while!

My wardrobe is almost ready, just the usual last minute stuff and the worry of ensuring the cases are not overweight!! 😉

Saw the dress code thread about the Muse, should be very interesting to see what it's all about....as I travel with my TA's I am told we are booked to sample all dining delights so should be a great journey of discovery and I'm quite sure we will neither starve or be short of the appropriate evening attire....and if all else fails there's still room service!!

My kids took me into Chester today for my mothers day lunch at the Grosvenor and jolly good it was to, the martinis being quite excellent!!

The beautiful warm weather seems to have cheered everyone up.

So, it's Mysty off first tomorrow....Bon Voyage to you and Myster...hope you have a wonderful time.....

S☺️

Good morning, especially to our soon-to-be-cruising Coolers! I'm sure you will have a grand time in your adventures and I will (im)patiently await for your reports.

Safe and happy travels!

Thank You Cam....I'm sure we will all have great fun and report back if we manage to drag ourselves away from the bars!! 🍸

Thanks for your well wishes Spins, Miss S. and Cam! Bags are packed! Now the nail biting begins as the freezing rain is due to start around noon. Seriously.....the almost end of March and still the weather plays havoc. I am going my ZEN thing and hoping the universe plays ball! :)

Mysty and Sophia, I know Spins will be cruising Ft Lauderdale to Lisbon, but I missed where will you both be traveling to. I've been reading Les' posts on the Caribbean and I could've made him aware of how windy it can get in March. Locals fly kites and do not go swimming. Anyway, it's always special to cruise on SS and I can't wait 'till May!

Great! I have been three times to Montecarlo. My first was a land trip in 1976, at the time of the Grand Prix. I stood quite near Candice Bergen (later known as Murphy Brown) who was that year's godmother of the race. Although she was well known at the time, people didn't make a fuss on celebrities as they do now. She was nice and cordial to everybody and no big deal. The two other times, I had been on cruises. Really enjoyed nearby Eze.

Good Morning Coolers,

Very, very much looking forward to all these trips .... so much exotica.

As those with lengthy memories will remember, we've had places in Nice, St Jean Cap Ferrat and even spent a couple of months in Villefranche until it drove us barmy in our early years. So if anyone wants pointers at this neck of the woods then happy to oblige ... search me and these places in SS CC will throw up some earlier post detail.

Nothin exotic for us ... we're down to Seaside and hopefully the balcony this week. We realised we haven't been there since August. I do so hope Helga starts up, she hasn't been driven for a few months.

Beachcam showed a nice piccy earlier today

7b70544eda7eff2434eb4abb131c4007.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mysty and Sophia, I know Spins will be cruising Ft Lauderdale to Lisbon, but I missed where will you both be traveling to. I've been reading Les' posts on the Caribbean and I could've made him aware of how windy it can get in March. Locals fly kites and do not go swimming. Anyway, it's always special to cruise on SS and I can't wait 'till May!

Round trip Monte Carlo for me Cam....flying out to Nice two weeks today! ☺️

Greetings Coolers! Up at the crack of doom this morning. Checking the weather on 3 different sites and getting 3 different forecasts. Freezing rain is likely, the only question being before or after we are due to depart. It's in the hands of the weather gods at this point.

J....have a great time at Seaside! And best wishes that Helga cooperates!

Have a great day all!