Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

You'll get to ask him!! We leave for Kennedy Airport early tomorrow and have a layover of around 6 (!) hours until our flight to Barcelona. We decided not to tempt the gods of traffic et al by taking a taxi to the city for a couple of hours. I bought an escapist book, the sequel to Tom Clancy's Mr. Mercedes, which I had enjoyed very much last time waiting in an airport. I'll see if I can recommend it as well.

Lovely food fotos Jeff.

DD was going to come for dinner tonight, which meant food preparation. I decided to grill as the weather is simply perfect. Marinating some pork loin and will wrap it in bacon, also squash melange with garlic and olive oil, baby fingerling potatoes with rosemary and butter, a tossed arugula salad and peach galette. For tapas a Gruyere cheese tart with roasted baby tomatoes...

Phone rings a half hour ago and she wants a raincheque. Oh well.

Camillus...it's almost time. Sorry to hear of the long lay over, I hope you can spend it in the airport lounge!

Oh, thanks a mil for both your travel wishes!

Spins, as I was reading your proposed food planning I was licking my lips. Such a lovely meal plan! I just love fingerling potatoes with rosemary and butter, simple, yet decadent. Sorry your daughter is missing out!

So the French have spoken!

What do the French look for when choosing a President? It wasn't a very wide choice admittedly, so what was their criteria? What might be the fantasy of every middle-aged French madame? The yougest ever, and (political) virgin who seduced,(ormwas seduced by) and then married his drama teacher. I bet at this moment someone is scripting the film.

L'etat C'est moi. Liberté, égalité, fraternité. Vive La France. Ou est les toilettes.

Hello All.......

I miss my old open fire so really nice to see such cosy pics....along with the usual delish foodie offerings.....

It's been a busy weekend for Miss S who finally ventured out after almost three weeks of being housebound....

Kids took me out for breakfast then on to the nurseries to order the summer flora.....it got me kick started to enjoy the garden yesterday and open up the summerhouse which was a delight to sit in with the glorious weather we are currently enjoying.......it's my little den which is so peaceful and relaxing......🍸😉

Hope Cam isn't having too bad a time at the airport with her long wait....

Jeff......hope Helga is all ready for her journey to the balcony later, weather forecast is excellent for the week ahead.....

Happy Day

😊

Thanks S,

Yes ... a few days down at the balcony will be nice. Hopefully Helga isn't grumpy.

Sadly our favourite curry delivery option has just earned a 1 hygiene rating ..... which is a step back to where they were a few years ago and we won't be ordering. I wish I understood why these hygiene ratings seem to problematic for Asian takeawys in the UK.

Hope you get back to 101% soon,,

Jeff

Greetings Coolers! Well, our neighbourhood and surrounding areas are not flooded. Areas not far from us are. To add insult to injury, the temperature has dropped and we actually had light snow this morning. Several people had to be evacuated from their homes and the really sad bit is that almost no one has insurance that covers over land flooding. Devastating for hundreds of people.

I love a fireplace. We have a wood-burning one in our family room. We stopped using it years ago because the temperature in the rest of the house dropped so substantially when we had a fire going that it became uncomfortable to leave the near vicinity of the blaze. I did really enjoy watching the flames dance though. Spins...I would gladly send you ours! :)

The spreadsheet extravaganza has begun. I am gathering all the bits and pieces of data. I am also going to have our home assessed to determine the approximate value now. I looked at comparable homes in our area currently on the market and the prices seem to be all over the map.

Safe travels Cam! Have an awesome adventure on the Whisper!

Miss S. a summerhouse? WOW! That sounds wonderful! What a treat that would be to sit out in the gloaming with a lovely glass of wine and candles glowing softly.

Have a great day all!

Hello Coolers!

Live from Kennedy Airport, already fidgety due to the long wait. Have to say the airport is not too crowded and the Delta terminal is spacious and modern. Glad MissS is doing well and Mysty is excited with her spreadsheets.

Do we know about JP? Must be in Prague having a grand time.

Hi Camillus112, not in Prague yet. Less than 2 weeks though! Have been busy with work and trip planning lately. Have a great trip!

T4 in JFK is pretty nice. We fly out of there a lot...including soon, for the Prague trip. Love the business class check-in. Are you in the Sky Club? They have an outdoor deck but today might not be so pleasant.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Hope Camillus made it across the pond without too much stress!

JP gotta love the outdoor deck at the sky club. Even if it's cold it's preferable to being inside the canned air of the terminal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Wishing safe travels and wonderful journeys for all of our coolers on adventures this week. I am feeling a bit trapped in the office this week. The sun is finally shining and it is starting to warm up, and my schedule is pretty busy. Next week we are taking a cross-country road trip to visit family, so I guess I am looking forward to that adventure.

Hello Coolers!

What an accidented trip. The 6 hour layover would have turned to an 11 hour one due to mechanical problems. We were sent to have dinner on our own (no voucher) and just when the meal arrived in our chosen restaurant, Roberto got an email that the plane was fixed and we would leave at 9pm. We quickly paid without eating and ran to the gate, only to find out it would leave at 10pm. We were finally happy to be aboard and arrived safely in Barcelona.

Now, more adventure at passport control. We waited 2 hours standing in a scarcely moving line due to the fact that only 3 booths were open for two simultanously arriving planes with over 300 pax each! Finally we retrieved our luggage and found a taxi.

And the adventure continue. We gave the hotel name, Grand Marina. We noticed his Spanish "appeared" to be not good (he seemed Indian or Pakistani) and when we saw that he was taking the wrong direction, we tried to direct him with no success. He gave us a ride through Barceloneta and out of the way streets. Roberto became upset and told him he would not pay the excesss fare, and the driver became furious. Roberto said he would call the police, and finally we arrived at the hotel. Since he was vociferating in front of the hotel, the hotel porter sent us inside and he resolved with the crazy guy. The hotel staff have been wonderful!

We were upgraded to a junior suite and told that the driver's data was taken for reporting, and he was banned from picking up at the hotel. I am now sitting down in our living room, looking out towards the terrace, while recounting our adventures. Life will seem perfect tomorrow when we board The Whisper.