Specific to RCCL - Chakanaab and Dolphin/Manatee excursion

I realize this may get moved but wanted some RCCL peeps to answer. We are doing the Dolphin push/pull and Manatee meet and greet in Chakanaab. I cannot swim (doesn't typically stop me from water excursions) so anyone have experience with that? Also do you know how long we get in Chakanaab? I'm not sure if all day will be taken up with these two things and then we board a bus back or we get to stay until we want to leave? The description is a bit vague. Thanks you!!

Ok.

We have done this excursion twice.

When with the dolphins part of the time is on the walkway leaning over to the dolphin.

But part of it is swimming with your dolphin, I guess you could bypass that part.

But you are with 2-3 guides and a life vest.

The manatee part is benign.

You never leave the walkway.

You may just want to be an observer for the dolphin part and save $$$

Then do the manatee.

Enjoy, we did.

I have done both and would not consider it, if I could not swim. The dolphins and manatees are in sea pens and the water can be pretty wild. I also found the walkways extremely slippery. I am a strong swimmer and at times I freaked out when waves were heading my way that were taller than I am.

Corinna

With the life vest on I don't think it's an issue. Most of the time you're on an underwater platform and the dolphins come to you. During the push/pull part you do need to swim out to an area for the dolphin to meet you and do his part. If you are comfortable doing a doggie paddle type swim out to the location, then I think you will be fine (again, you have a life vest on). We did have a kick board for the push part so you can hold on to that and kick your way to the location which helps.

Typically you have a few minutes of waiting before you even go to your introduction so you can see how far folks go out and if you're comfortable with doing it.

We did have the whole day at the park. You can roam around and experience all it has to offer. Just ask the guide at the entrance for your ride back (you travel by organized taxis and they group you with other passengers from the ship). They will explain all the details to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by breeze123

Think Safety first. We were at this place about three days ago while on the Harmony and the advise you got from Lioness, Dolphingirl and others is pretty spot on. If I recall right, there are two different Dolphin Swim encounters, one with lunch for $149, without lunch $109. My daughter did the one without lunch and she is a good swimmer. The rest of us paid for the Observer tour for $42 each. The tour guide gives you three different times to leave in which your taxi fare is paid for as part of the tour. If you choose another time after that (not with your Tour Guide) the cab fare back to the ship is on you. So yes you can stay as long as you want in the park but leave in enough time to get back on the ship.

Thank you for all the helpful posts!! I don't know if anyone is familiar with Xcaret but I did a manatee swim there when I did a land vacay in Cancun. We wore vests and I did have to swim out to the platform. My friend actually let me hold onto her and swam us both out but it wasn't far. I do get quite nervous but have never let my fear keep me from a safe situation. I've snorkeled in Cocay and Cancun, parasailed in the keys, did the stingray swim in Grand Cayman and then the manatee thing in Cancun but none of them seem as intense as the dolphin one. I chose the push/pull and swim one where I have the boogie board. I guess I could chicken out and count the money as a lesson in bravado :p or I could preemptively cancel that part but I'm afraid we booked through RCCL to be sure we get back in time and I don't know how to get me on the same excursion without purchasing it. :confused:

I'm SO happy we have time at the park! I was hoping it wouldn't be a there and back situation!