train to nyc and hotel info

mrdrdoso

we are from upstate ny, vestal area and are looking at driving to middleton ny due to we can park for free and taking the train into nyc, has anyone done that before? suggestions are appreciated.

also looking for a hotel close to terminal without breaking the bank, yes i know we are on vacation but would like to use the money for the ship and ports. also my dh does not want to drive to nyc. would really appreciate all your expertise. thanks in advance:)

It's always a good idea to get to NYC by some way other than a car, especially if you're able to park for free!

As far as the hotel, I usually look for deals on Priceline. Last time I ended up staying in lower Manhattan in the financial district for about $130. Don't worry about being too close to the cruise terminal; it's not that expensive to take an Uber to the terminal from most anywhere in the city.

Sent from mobile, pardon the misspellinggs

we are from upstate ny, vestal area and are looking at driving to middleton ny due to we can park for free and taking the train into nyc, has anyone done that before? suggestions are appreciated.

also looking for a hotel close to terminal without breaking the bank, yes i know we are on vacation but would like to use the money for the ship and ports. also my dh does not want to drive to nyc. would really appreciate all your expertise. thanks in advance:)

The Middleton route puts you at NY Penn Station via a transfer at Secaucus Junction. For 1/7/17 I'm seeing the Fairfield Inn at 325 W 33rd (right up the street from the nj transit area of NY Penn Station) on Last Minute Travel for $138 plus tax. No cab required on arrival if you can roll your luggage, and a short ride to the Cruiseport the following morning.

The Hilton Garden at 65 W 35th St is $122 plus tax (close to Macy's and Herald Square). The Hilton Garden at 790 8th Ave (48-49th sts) ($135 + tax)would put you between Times Square and the Cruiseport.

These are all very reasonable economical choices for central locations in midtown Manhattan. I have used LMT before without issues.

You may want to look into Yankee Trails bus. There is free parking at each location they pick up. Albany, Selkirk, Kingston, Newburgh, New Paltz. It is $90 R/T and so convenient to the pier. They drop you at the pier and the porters take the luggage off the bus and they are there when you get off.

Edited by kingston13

You may want to look into Yankee Trails bus. There is free parking at each location they pick up. Albany, Selkirk, Kingston, Newburgh, New Paltz. It is $90 R/T and so convenient to the pier. They drop you at the pier and the porters take the luggage off the bus and they are there when you get off.

Yankee Trails is excellent. I have used them 3 times and will again in June.

I hope you have a private parking arrangement in Middleton, NY, because it appears they charge for parking weekdays. Train fare is $19.25/pp each way. It's a reasonable option because Manhattan hotels are so cheap for your pre-sail date in the dead of winter.

I hope you have a private parking arrangement in Middleton, NY, because it appears they charge for parking weekdays. Train fare is $19.25/pp each way. It's a reasonable option because Manhattan hotels are so cheap for your pre-sail date in the dead of winter.

I was told parking was free, where did you see the charge? I shouldn't of waited to the last minute to do this

Vestal is about 3 hours +/1 down I-81 into PA, I-380 into Delaware Water Gap into NY on I-80 for NYC, the "worst part" would be crossing the GW Bridge & taking the first exit to go downtown for the MCT (Manhattan Cruise Terminal) and 2 one-way tolls. The discounted, secured pier roof-top parking is still valid as of this date, unless reported otherwise @ $30/24 hours including taxes - DH would be avoiding most of NYC's urban traffic ... just slightly worst than Triple Cities' weekday rush hours, not too bad compared to Rt. 434 in your area.

Park Right is a little less, nearby but not as convenient as is using the NY Waterway's ferry parking across the Hudson, frugal but will need to manage luggage & with January's weather, doesn't look to be brutal cold for the near term (yet).

If OP is doing a 10 days+ sailing to the Caribbean, driving downstate on the early morning of embarkation is probably "acceptable" risk-wise, weather & road conditions being routien and vehicle winterized & in excellent condition (used to switch to all 4 winter tires to get around in Broome County) ... that would save you the expense of an overnight hotel stay, unless the other poster coming from Erie County with more than doubled the distance & time.

Vestal is about 3 hours +/1 down I-81 into PA, I-380 into Delaware Water Gap into NY on I-80 for NYC, the "worst part" would be crossing the GW Bridge & taking the first exit to go downtown for the MCT (Manhattan Cruise Terminal) and 2 one-way tolls. The discounted, secured pier roof-top parking is still valid as of this date, unless reported otherwise @ $30/24 hours including taxes - DH would be avoiding most of NYC's urban traffic ... just slightly worst than Triple Cities' weekday rush hours, not too bad compared to Rt. 434 in your area.

Park Right is a little less, nearby but not as convenient as is using the NY Waterway's ferry parking across the Hudson, frugal but will need to manage luggage & with January's weather, doesn't look to be brutal cold for the near term (yet).

If OP is doing a 10 days+ sailing to the Caribbean, driving downstate on the early morning of embarkation is probably "acceptable" risk-wise, weather & road conditions being routien and vehicle winterized & in excellent condition (used to switch to all 4 winter tires to get around in Broome County) ... that would save you the expense of an overnight hotel stay, unless the other poster coming from Erie County with more than doubled the distance & time.

you know the area well, i live off the vestal parkway (434) i think he just doesn't want to drive, so i better get cracking and figure this out thanks your all your useful input, much appreciated

you know ... he just doesn't want to drive, so i better get cracking and figure this out ...

:D - I know, pass thru recently again, en route to Ontario for the week but didn't stop @Harpur this time, lots of "weekend commuting" in those days. DD on the park Unless there's a blizzard next weekend, ... crossover JC Bridge & onto Rt. 17 - an easy run to NYC, 3.5 hrs on average with a break for bathroom & coffee as it's early Sunday morning. I-380 can be icy & slick if snow covered by DOT plows always do a nice job, but could be down to just one lane w. truckers pushing along. Leave by 6:30 AM and you will be driving up the ramp for parking by 10 AM to 10:30, very convenient for 10 days with the discounted rate. Extended forecast for next 15 days looking good at the moment.

Here's a detailed pictorial guide/well written by another CC on getting to the pier, but odds are DH had probably driven it before.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057865

Recent discussion & update on discounts only for the GEM parking above the pier terminal, no expiration date & should remain valid -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2431745

Park Right is now charging $28 daily for extended parking, saving is minimal as long as the pier special remain in force >>> if so, please re-check early next week & if necessary, call the pier parking folks directly to reconfirm acceptance of the printed coupon, bring it along.

Lower level of the GW Bridge should be open for traffic, except buses/trucks & commercial traffic - I always prefer to use that, keep to your left crossing into NY and you will be in the proper lane to exit for the downtown via the Henry Hudson Parkway/Rt. 9W for the pier.

We loved the GEM & similar class of ships in the NCL fleet, booked for later in the year as we last sailed her in 2012 - enjoy & have a safe trip.