LGBT Honeymoon

ash1411

Hi, my partner and I are soon to be married in mid June 2017. Our ideal honeymoon would be on a cruise but we are not too sure of which cruise line would make it extra special, while also suiting our personalities and being lgbt friendly. We are both in our early to mid 20s and enjoy different activities but also relaxing. We are looking to go on one of the larger ships in the Caribbean with a bit of luxury and romance. Budgeting isn't too much of an issue, we just want it to be special for us.

Could anyone advise to which cruise lines they think are best for lgbt travelers but also honeymooners?

Thank you :D!!!

Hi, my partner and I are soon to be married in mid June 2017. Our ideal honeymoon would be on a cruise but we are not too sure of which cruise line would make it extra special, while also suiting our personalities and being lgbt friendly. We are both in our early to mid 20s and enjoy different activities but also relaxing. We are looking to go on one of the larger ships in the Caribbean with a bit of luxury and romance. Budgeting isn't too much of an issue, we just want it to be special for us.

Could anyone advise to which cruise lines they think are best for lgbt travelers but also honeymooners?

I would suggest you narrow your choices down first to the larger ships which are mostly "new" and that appeal to you both.

My husband and I (together for almost 20 years, met the ball and chain when I was 19) have spent most of our time on RCL, Celebrity and recently two on Carnival. We're taking a HAL cruise on their newest ship, the Koningsdam soon. We don't participate much in the activities so the generally older clientele on HAL appeals to us but may not to you if you prefer more a informal group and fun activities.

Here's my quick thoughts:

Carnival - Las Vegas at sea - loud, active and generally speaking is what I refer to as entry-level cruising. Good value for the price but not luxurious. They have some newer ships including the Vista. Carnival is not my first choice, been there done that but I've met many cruisers including my parents who love Carnival. Just not the right fit for my husband or me.

RCL (Royal Caribbean) - middle of the road, multi-generational clientele, lots of activities and newer ships have fun recreational activities from skating to rock climbing etc. I find them to be "comfortable" in that you can sail on any of them and still feel like you're at home because the service, food, staterooms etc. feel very similar from ship to ship. We had the same entertainers for two different 7 day sailings that were 2 years apart - not impressed. A contender for me overall though.

Celebrity - similar to RCL but service and food is better than Carnival and RCL in my humble opinion. Always a good contender for us when we are searching for a cruise.

HAL (Holland America) - normally older clientele (65 plus), quieter pace, less activities, good service and food. Also a contender for us but we are "peaceful seekers" so it suits us.

Other lines - other than Crystal which is pricey, I can't comment on Princess, NCL or the others yet. I'd love to try them all though.

Honestly, if I was you, I'd drop Carnival from the list because luxurious they are not, and romantic not so much either. Fun, loud and active is how I describe Carnival but if that appeals to you go for it.

All of the above lines are LGBT friendly. You're unlikely to see much hand-holding etc. between same sex couples but most cruiselines have LGBT meet-ups on most sailings.

Edited by RoyalVisit

Pretty much ALL the lines are Gay friendly. On lines like Carnival, short cruises tend to bring out the "less sophisticated"(I'm trying to be kind here.)Though we've been together for over 20 years, we got married in 2010.(when it became legal in NH) We chose a Queens Grill suite on the QM2. Still by far the most fantastic cruise we've done. We do like dressing up, so Cunard tends to observe a pretty strict formal dress code. Food is good. On board entertainment is very good. Pax tend to be older, but more "worldly". Celebrity is also a very good line. Unlike Cunard/Princess/HAL, Celebrity does not really advertise the LGBTQ get togethers very well.

Husband and I were already confirmed Princess cruisers and had a Venice-to-Fort Lauderdale cruise booked when the Supreme Court legalized SSM and we decided to finally get hitched. Voila, instant honeymoon. As I've said elsewhere, we wore matching "Just Married" T-shirts onboard and the reaction, from both crew and passengers, was fantastic. As was the treatment when we sailed on our first anniversary. As was the reaction when we were chosen to play The Newlywed Game. We hold hands when we walk the promenade deck and slow-dance onboard and if anybody doesn't like it, they keep it good and quiet.

Princess does tend toward a much-older-than-you passenger profile, at least in the off-season, but we grinchily find the absence of lots of families with swarming kids makes the mood potentially more romantic. Celebrity does seem to get more of the queer vote, but we find Princess comfortably semi-luxurious in an unpretentious way.

Aw, shoot...as I was typing this, I realized that Princess isn't sailing the Caribbean this coming summer. Lots of interesting European, Alaskan, and Asian itineraries in June, but no Caribbean.

Anyway, worth keeping in mind for the future.

Edited by shepp