travel insurance

tlyoungtn

know what your travel insurance or credit card coverage covers.

Print out all of your travel insurance policy or credit card coverage contacts and make sure others traveling with you know where to find this printed out policy.

You never know when you (or others) need assistance in securing an air ambulance.

I know, I had to use our travel insurance back in May. We were on a b2b on Adventure of the Seas in the second week docked in Bonaire. I was having chest pains and went to the ship doc around 3pm

He immediately (after some tests) said he could not do anything with me and got us off the ship to the tiny Bonaire hospital. The cardiologist in Bonaire said the same thing, I had to get off the island.

Between On Call (the administrator of the policy) and the island doctor's recommendation, a jet ambulance flew down from the Dominican Republic and flew us to Fort Lauderdale to Broward Medical. Two stents later I am back to normal. Some people are not so lucky.

I always thought I would be using travel insurance for lost bags, missed flights.....not a medical evac.

1. Medical & evacuation

Even is your US health care is robust and can act as primary, travel insurance plans cover as 2ndary and often have greater coverages.

There are other benefits to travel insurance: we learned these the hard way in Jamaica but http://www.csatravelprotection.com helped.

1. Emergency contact 24/7 with a large network of hospitals abroad

2. No out of pocket: CSA has a network of medical facilities that their emergency help desk will facilitate for you and there are no out of pocket costs--meaning you dont pay and submit a claim to get reimbursed.

2. v. cruiseline insurance

We found cruise line insurance/Carnival to be more expensive and limited coverages.

3. other coverages

Travel insurance also offers other coverages that US health insurance will not --like trip interruption.

Depends on what your needs/focus are but travel insurance is small % of cruise cost and pays it forward if an unexpected event occurs.

Besides your credit card insurance, what travel insurance company/policy did you use?

On this cruise we "used the policy", the insurance was purchased through United Cruises, off the top of my head I cannot remember the name of the policy. It is only purchased through travel agencies. It is 3rd party administrated 24/7 through On Call.

My United Healthcare did cover some expenses while on the ship and in Bonaire. However, we had to get reimbursed after out of pocket expenses.

Many instances where Carnivals policy would be a good buy.

The policy includes Cancel For Any Reason. 3rd party policies this is an add on cost.

Carnivals policy includes job related coverage. 3rd party policies this is an add on cost.

Carnivals policy is one price for all ages. 3rd party policies prices increase dramatically for certain age groups.

We always use Carnival's insurance. Once you hit 55 the price of the insurance through other companies is prohibitive. Maybe we look at insurance a little differently than most people, but we don't expect 100% of all expenses we might incur. If you can't afford an unexpected expense here and there than maybe you can't afford to cruise. Does your medical insurance at home cover everything 100%? Do you ever miss a show or event at home? Use some common sense. Figure out what you need, then compare prices. For us, CARNIVAL's insurance has always met our needs at a lower price. However, several years ago we bought outside insurance for a Celebrity cruise because we were younger and could get better rates elsewhere. I guess my point is...only you know what you need and the answer answer to your question isn't a simple one and is quite individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk