Seven Days on the Dawn and Christmas in New Orleans: A Review

PaulInPGH

The restaurant was the Oceana Grill, and they served us the absolute best breakfast I’ve ever had. Seriously, if you’re in New Orleans, go here for breakfast—you will not regret it.

I was basically ready to eat my own arm off by the time we were seated, so we ended up ordering three different breakfasts to split. First, the Cajun Breakfast, which came with eggs, bacon, and very delicious gator sausage. This was good, but nothing compared to the rest of the order.

We both were nuts for their pain perdu, the New Orleans version of french toast. Just think of the best french toast you’ve ever had, than multiply that by a factor of like ten.

But, for me, the most amazing part was the crawfish omelet. This beautiful creation from the mind of a genius was an omelet filled with crawfish, topped with crawfish etouffee. I still daydream about this omelet, and it’ll be one of my first meals the next time we get back to New Orleans.

This totally chance find was one of the highlights of our trip. We ate outside in their quiet courtyard, and it was just what Christmas brunch in New Orleans should be.

Sounds absolutely wonderful....you found a lovely way to enjoy Christmas in NOLA!

Have you ever tried breakfast at the Ruby Slipper? We felt it was definitely worth the wait.;)

Sounds absolutely wonderful....you found a lovely way to enjoy Christmas in NOLA!

Have you ever tried breakfast at the Ruby Slipper? We felt it was definitely worth the wait.;)

We have not, but I will definitely add it to my list of future New Orleans destinations!

What street was the Ruby Slipper on that you tried? After reading your post I looked on Yelp and it looks like there are several locations? Unless Ruby Slipper is different from Ruby Slipper Cafe? Thanks!!

After such a large meal, we needed to take a short walk around the Quarter to help us digest. We took a stroll down Bourbon to see what it was like on Christmas. With the exception of a few places which were closed, the party on Bourbon seemed much the same as any other day.

We eventually made it back to our hotel, where we spent a nice relaxing afternoon just laying around, reading, and watching some television.

One thing we love to do, wherever we travel, is to eat in the restaurants of celebrity chefs. We watch a fair amount of food television, and as I’m sure you’ve noticed, we love to eat. For Christmas dinner, we’d made a reservation at Besh Steak—the steakhouse of acclaimed New Orleans chef John Besh.

The downside of eating three breakfasts was that I was still full to the point of bursting by the time our dinner reservation rolled around at 6:00. The thought of eating steak was a bit too much for me to contemplate, so we decided to cancel our reservation at Besh Steak and find a late night dinner elsewhere.

We were so impressed with the breakfast at Oceana Grill, we ended up deciding to give their dinner a try. This time, we sat upstairs, right next to their Christmas tree, so it felt very festive.

The dinner at Oceana was very good, though it couldn’t really compare to the majesty of breakfast. We did try another version of char-grilled oysters, which were a little different than most of the others we’d tried. They were topped with a creamier, spicier garlic sauce, and we thought their oysters were the nicest quality of all the ones we tried (plump and free of grit). I was able to get one of my all-time favorite New Orleans dishes: blackened redfish, topped with crawfish etouffee. My wife ordered an oyster po’boy, which got a little overshadowed by the incredible oyster po’boy she’d get at Johnny’s the following morning. Overall, Oceana was very good to us, both at brunch and at dinner, and I highly suggest paying them a visit the next time you’re in New Orleans.

We felt like having a drink or two before heading back to the hotel, so we decided to check out Pat O’s. Christmas is apparently one of the only days when locals go there, so the place was absolutely packed. We were able to find a table set off from the courtyard in a quieter offshoot, and we enjoyed a couple Christmas hurricanes—an excellent ending to a delicious Christmas.

Coming soon: our final day in New Orleans.

The different versions of oysters is very interesting. We love oysters and have tried in different places but not in the manner you described.

I tried raw oysters, but that wasn't really for me. I'm completely obsessed with New Orleans style char-grilled or char-broiled though. We actually made some on our own grill, and they were really easy to make.

What street was the Ruby Slipper on that you tried? After reading your post I looked on Yelp and it looks like there are several locations? Unless Ruby Slipper is different from Ruby Slipper Cafe? Thanks!!

The full name IS the Ruby Slipper Cafe--we enjoyed our brunch at the location on Magazine St.--good Bloody Mary's!

I've got a definite Bias, because I love New Orleans, but it's my favorite place to cruise from. Though, this year we're finally doing a Med cruise that leaves from Rome, so that might be a game-changer.

You'll need a vacation to recover from that one! It's busy, busy, trying to make sure you see all of the sites, but definitely worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You'll need a vacation to recover from that one! It's busy, busy, trying to make sure you see all of the sites, but definitely worth it!

Yes, I actually feel like I need a vacation after just the planning part. We've already spent hours online and in guide books. We're definitely looking forward to it though.

One thing we love to do, wherever we travel, is to eat in the restaurants of celebrity chefs. We watch a fair amount of food television, and as I’m sure you’ve noticed, we love to eat. For Christmas dinner, we’d made a reservation at Besh Steak—the steakhouse of acclaimed New Orleans chef John Besh.

Next time I would highly recommend John Besh's Domenica Restaurant, although it is not typical Cajun/NOLA fare (Italian), they have some incredible and unique wood-fired pizzas [emoji39]. The smoked pork and the clam pizzas are to die for. It's always a must have on our trips to NOLA, sometimes for lunch and dinner. There is also a Pizza Domenica but we've not tried it.

Loving your review and your restaurant reviews.

Next time I would highly recommend John Besh's Domenica Restaurant, although it is not typical Cajun/NOLA fare (Italian), they have some incredible and unique wood-fired pizzas [emoji39]. The smoked pork and the clam pizzas are to die for. It's always a must have on our trips to NOLA, sometimes for lunch and dinner. There is also a Pizza Domenica but we've not tried it.

Loving your review and your restaurant reviews.

That sounds delicious.

In terms of food other than Cajun or typical New Orleans cooking, have you ever tried Irene's in the French Quarter? We haven't been, but it's an Italian place right next to the hotel where we always stay, and it smelled absolutely intoxicating every time we'd walk by it.

One last question, how was the Uber service in NOLA? We live in a small city therefore we don't really have a need to Uber. However, on our last cruise out of Ft Lauderdale, we had our first opportunity to use it, and it was great. We would request one and usually within 2 minutes it was there and such a great price. What was your experience with it in NOLA? We've always just walked our arse off all over the place down there, but may have to try Ubering a bit.

That sounds delicious.

In terms of food other than Cajun or typical New Orleans cooking, have you ever tried Irene's in the French Quarter? We haven't been, but it's an Italian place right next to the hotel where we always stay, and it smelled absolutely intoxicating every time we'd walk by it.

We haven't, we only get to NOLA once, maybe twice a year and we are such creatures of habit that once we find a place we like, we crave it and always go back!! However, your review of the restaurants you went to sound like some places we would love to try. We may have to try Irene's, we love Italian.

Just as a side note: Your breakfast at Oceana looked way better than what we experienced at The Ruby Slipper Cafe when we went back in July. It could have been an off day when we went but your crawfish omelette looked delish and more up my alley.

One last question, how was the Uber service in NOLA? We live in a small city therefore we don't really have a need to Uber. However, on our last cruise out of Ft Lauderdale, we had our first opportunity to use it, and it was great. We would request one and usually within 2 minutes it was there and such a great price. What was your experience with it in NOLA? We've always just walked our arse off all over the place down there, but may have to try Ubering a bit.

Uber was excellent. Plenty of drivers around and a great way to avoid lengthier walks. Especially when we ventured to the Central Business District or out to Dooky Chase.

We haven't, we only get to NOLA once, maybe twice a year and we are such creatures of habit that once we find a place we like, we crave it and always go back!! However, your review of the restaurants you went to sound like some places we would love to try. We may have to try Irene's, we love Italian.

Just as a side note: Your breakfast at Oceana looked way better than what we experienced at The Ruby Slipper Cafe when we went back in July. It could have been an off day when we went but your crawfish omelette looked delish and more up my alley.

I know what you mean about visiting the same places over and over again; we fall into that same trap. I know I can be a bit hyperbolic when it comes to food, but that breakfast at Oceana was one of the best meals I've ever had. It will definitely be my go-to breakfast spot next time we're in New Orleans.

A fantastic review and glad you described Nola. It's one I'd my fav cities. John Besh's Luke restaurant is amazing. The Court of Two Sister is another great place in the quarter.

I wanna cruise the Dawn badly but my mom thinks she only likes megaships.

Thanks for taking the time to share! Go Steelers!