Caribbean Princess Interior Cabin with 4 adults?!?

day440

diese17311,

It's done deal. We're going and we're excited about it. Thanks again to everyone for the input. We're a pretty fun-loving, upbeat, positive family, so I think we can get through it with no problems. We've found ourselves some pretty sticky and uncomfortable situations in the past and were able to make the best of it. They are now some of our favorite stories to tell. Since we can't afford a larger stateroom, an inside is our only option. I'd rather be cramped on a cruise than at sitting home because we couldn't afford a larger room. :)

You have made my day with this and thank you for opening my eyes to - you are right!!!! Have a blast!

You will be glad you didn't listen to the naysayers! We started cruising with Princess in a mini suite, then an inside and then a balcony. I thought the balcony was the smallest room we had so far. We have a family of three and use all of the closet and shelves and put luggage under the beds and it all works.

If you have guys and they are tall they can use the shelf above the hanging racks. I'm short so can never see up there so use the shelves in the cabinet. There is also storage in the night stands and desk. So plenty of room. We schedule our showers so never have to wait for someone else. You only need to have respect for each other and lots of love!

They will remember this cruise and being together as a family and the fun you will all have. Glad you are going! Have a great time!

That's a great idea. I am short too (5'2"), so I can never reach the top shelves! Any suggestions on storage is greatly appreciated. We pack light, so we won't be bringing many bags but I'm glad to hear there is room under the bed. We would usually only have two bags (one for the boys and one for me and hubby) but hubby is flying in from another location where he will be working, so he will have his own bag. It will be a small overnight bag, so not too bad.

diese17311,

It's done deal. We're going and we're excited about it. Thanks again to everyone for the input. We're a pretty fun-loving, upbeat, positive family, so I think we can get through it with no problems. We've found ourselves some pretty sticky and uncomfortable situations in the past and were able to make the best of it. They are now some of our favorite stories to tell. Since we can't afford a larger stateroom, an inside is our only option. I'd rather be cramped on a cruise than at sitting home because we couldn't afford a larger room. :)

A very practical and wise decision! Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 months later...

Just got back from our cruise and wanted to let everyone know that the inside cabin had plenty of room for the four of us. We just kept the upper bunks folded up during the morning/day whenever we were in the room. There is lots of storage for all clothes and utilities. I would definitely do it again!!

Just got back from our cruise and wanted to let everyone know that the inside cabin had plenty of room for the four of us. We just kept the upper bunks folded up during the morning/day whenever we were in the room. There is lots of storage for all clothes and utilities. I would definitely do it again!!

Thanks for the update, glad it worked out.

I'm so glad you had a wonderful cruise! This prompted a nice discussion between my DH and myself about how we would have loved to have cruised in an inside cabin with our kids. We got to talking about how it would be at various stages of their lives. I decided the WORST part would have been our oldest boy's stinky shoes in an inside cabin when he was a teenager, LOL

The fact that you want to cruise with your young 20 something sons, and they want to go on vacation with their parents, tells me that you are a fortunate family. You made wonderful memories that you will treasure forever. I'm so glad you enjoyed yourselves!

So glad you tried it, and that it worked out well for you. We have done it twice with 3 adults in an inside, and never had a problem. Many laughs though!!! I think the outcome depends on the people involved, and the attitudes you have. Most here would call me crazy, (maybe I am, just a little) but I prefer an inside to a mini suite.

Karen

Thanks for the update. We are taking a British Isles Cruise on the Caribbean Princess in an inside cabin with 3 adults. This cruise is a bit pricey and since it is port intensive we didn't think we would be spending that much time in the room to justify the price of a balcony or mini-suite. Thanks again.

we did 4 cruises with 2 teenagers in our room. we had extra money to do specialty dining and the kids had their own schedule. We were out of the cabin early so no shower lineups and the savings helped us cruise more,

Nothing wrong about it as long as no one complains. Also gives you more bonding time with the kids.

Everyone who responded gave great advice and insight and while I personally think it would be a challenge (for our family), I think it is ultimately about packing very light, (less will be more), expectations and attitude.Recently, we bought a fancy RV with the intention of spending time with our grown children & grand children. Our kids packed it gadgets and gear to enhance our experience/fun and ensure we are prepared for every possible situation. This sort of "glamping" can be exhausting....

Nearby, there is always a family who pull a small tent, a couple of duffle bags and a cooler out of their trunk and remind me with their joyful energy and laughter that it's the fun and memories that are important.

- If a family can survive/thrive a week of togetherness in a tiny tent for a week I imagine it can be done on a cruise ship too.

We did a 12 night Mediterranean cruise in 2010 on the Ruby Princess with 2 teenage boys (and 2 parents) in an inside cabin. We still remember it as the best vacation we have ever taken. We were so tired from the shore excursions that the cramped quarters did not bother us.

• 11 months later...

I know this is old news now, but I wanted to say thank you for updating this post after your sailing! My family has booked a quad interior cabin for this June, and I think we are going into it with the same attitude as you - we're a close family, plus my kids are still young (8 and 4), and we'd rather cruise close than have no cruise at all! Thanks again for updating, and I'm so glad it worked out!