RC - dumb question

Hi - We are going on RCI to Pacific Islands after a trip to the US. Am I right in assuming the ship uses USD? And therefore when I settle the bill I can use any excess USD I may have? Saves me converting back to AUD then having to pay conversion fees again.

Or do they change menus and pricing etc to reflect AUD when sailing from Australia?

You are correct, OBC accounts are settled in USD and do not convert to AUS however, be aware that any $$ over and above what cash you have will be charged to your nominated card and your Aus bank will more than

likely charge you an OS transaction fee

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All transactions on board will be in US$ so, yes, you can settle your account with your US$. If your account is more than the US$ you have you can just pay the balance in Aust $, the ship will convert the amount to US$ for you at the going rate or use a credit card to pay the balance and the ship or your bank will charge you a currency conversion fee, ship will be 3% of that balance amount. The bank rate will depend on what bank and card you have, but unless you intend spending huge amounts it is no big deal eg $500= $15.......enjoy your cruise:)

thanks all... with our $$ going down against US I can see why people like ships in aussie dollars. Still it is what it is and we will enjoy despite the conversion rate. At least if I am using leftover USD it will feel better cause I would already have that

You can also pre-purchase onboard credit OBC from RCI direct. The current rate is .77 cents. contact RCI call centre and follow the prompts to the 'shore excursions' option and then ask to pre-purchase OBC. You will need your RCI reservation number to do this. They will advise what the current rate is, but last I read (a few days ago on Facebook) it was still .77 cents.

Hi! Just curious if when you check in on the day if you add a credit amount there, do they process that as USD when taking it or AUS also?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure why you would do that unless you mean buying OBC but ALL onboard transactions are in US $.

Hi! Just curious if when you check in on the day if you add a credit amount there, do they process that as USD when taking it or AUS also?

If you give it in USD, they'll credit your onboard account. If you give AUD (or any other currency) at any time, they will convert it, then credit your account.