Magic vs. Sunshine

myacuna

In the very very beginning stages of planning a group cruise for Sometime between September and November of this year....

Husband would rather do Oasis but we will have our son who would be 3 in October (ok for rccl kids club by then) but maybe won't be potty trained (not ok for royal). I don't want to chance a forced potty training fiasco so carnival it is (and I'm totally fine with that)

Is there a big difference in ship? Is one going to provide us with a better expertise overall?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IIRC, you may have issues with potty trained kids over the age of 2 on CCL. I recall something of the sort when I was researching cruises. I think the child can attend, but the counselors won't change them, and you will have to come and do it? I'll see if I can find the info for you.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Here it is:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1074/~/camp-ocean-(2-5-years)-penguins%3A-things-to-know-and-activities

That said, we have a cruise booked on the Sunshine for this year with our 4 year old. I think there's a good assortment of activities for the age, but he probably would be fine anywhere if he can play with his cars, have ice cream and talk to different people!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks! We took him on elation in November and though he refused to stay in the kids club (Yey separation anxiety), they were totally fine changing his diapers. I'm 100% fine being called to change them if need-be. At least we have almost a year to work on him. And at least carnival allows not potty trained kids in their clubs. Here's to hoping he will actually go this time around.

Thanks! We took him on elation in November and though he refused to stay in the kids club (Yey separation anxiety), they were totally fine changing his diapers. I'm 100% fine being called to change them if need-be. At least we have almost a year to work on him. And at least carnival allows not potty trained kids in their clubs. Here's to hoping he will actually go this time around.

I hear you. We were supposed to take a DCL cruise this past October, when he was 3, and nearing the paid in full date, he wasn't 100% potty trained. We assumed he would be by October, but didn't want to risk it (among other issues). He only recently started going totally by himself, so I guess it's a good thing we didn't go.

The separation anxiety or attending camp thing is another story altogether. He's a super outgoing kid, goes to pre-k, etc, but new environments/situations are always a crap shoot.

Personally I would chose the Sunshine. I just did a review of this nature if you click on me and look at my posts. But I can sum it up with there are 4600 on Magic, 3006 on Sunshine with a much better staff ratio. Sunshine has all the same amenities with the waterpark (no diapers) and putt putt and sports square, plus additional food options for mom and dad in JiJis, sushi and Havana bar.

Personally I prefer the Dream class ships (Magic and Breeze also) just for ease of walking around and they are larger than the Sunshine and have never felt over crowded unless you are at a port that everyone is trying to exit at same time.

That being said if we had a child that we could place in camp carnival and enjoy some adult time I would pick the Sunshine as they have in my opinion the best serenity adults only area out of all carnival ships (unless Vista is better).

It was prior mentioned there are more specialty restaurants on Sunshine if that is something you enjoy. Magic does have the BBQ place on sea days that sunshine does not have.

The itinerary maybe the final decision. We liked both ships and would and will sail them again.

The separation anxiety or attending camp thing is another story altogether. He's a super outgoing kid, goes to pre-k, etc, but new environments/situations are always a crap shoot.

This is exactly us. He's been going to the same daycare since 3 months and loves it. But he loves US. He needs like 5-15 min to cry and settle, which ship camps don't feel comfortable with.

Thanks everyone for helping weigh pros and cons. Sounds like we can't make a bad decision with either and I think itin might be the sameish for both! So we will look at dates and cost and discuss as a group.

I'm surprised Magic doesn't have a splash pad for kids in diapers. I thought the newer ships had that but maybe I'm confusing with rccl. I don't generally do ship pools but that's just me.

Hey, we are also planning a cruise that will include toddlers that may not be potty trained. Is there a splash pad on the Sunshine that they could use?

Nope.

Using the Splash Park / Splash Zone

Splash Park / Splash Zone hours vary and are listed in the daily Fun Times newsletter.

Ships: Carnival Breeze, Carnival Dream, Carnival Ecstasy, Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Fascination, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Inspiration, Carnival Legend, Carnival Magic, Carnival Sunshine, Carnival Spirit Carnival Splendor and Carnival Vista

Children who are not toilet trained (and those in diapers or swim diapers) are not allowed in any of the water facilities onboard, as per United States Public Health Services. This includes the Splash Park/Splash Zone. Toilet trained children should be taken on frequent bathroom breaks.

Sorry, I don't have answer about the potty training issue. I have sailed on both ships. I loved them both. They both have great dining options. We were very fortunate that on both ships we had fantastic cruise directors. Jaime Dee was on the Sunshine at the time. She can make a party. On the Magic, we had Dr. Everson. I thought Jaime was the best until we sailed on the Magic. He should still be on the Magic, but Jaime is no longer on the Sunshine. I like cabins better on the Sunshine. If felt they were larger. They also have a tub, which would beneficial for bathing a child. I don't think you can go wrong on either ship. If I had to select, I would take the one that is in the closest home port and had the best itinerary.

Get the book Potty Training in Less than a Day. A child of 18 months should have the muscle control needed to be trained. This worked on my 3 kids like magic.

:eek: 18 months :confused: