Car rental-Rum Point /sight seeing questions

cruiseat50

I put this on Princess board but nobody responding yet. :( Booked this trip then holidays came up and didn't book Nativeway and now can't get the excursion as it is booked. Plan B is to rent a car and drive to rum point and take the glass bottom boat to SR City then relax a little at Rum Point then head into town to do some shopping and/or may go to rum distillery or finally see Hell.:rolleyes::eek:;) Also just would like to know if the local craft market is good and may stop by there.

We are there from 7:00-4:00.

Recommendations for car rentals? Thinking about Budget but is it close to the where we get off in Georgetown, do they have a shuttle or how much for a taxi to get to it?

If we get off at 7:00 (ugh, hate early morning vacation plans but oh well) can we get to car rental and to Rum Point by 8:30-8:45 as I would like to take the 9:00 boat to see the stingrays. I have done this several times but still want to do it again.:D

Since we have a car is there anything that we shouldn't miss that we could go see in between?

TIA for any information you can provide.

We stayed on Grand Cayman a few years ago for a week and rented a car and explored the whole island.

Driving is on the left and you won't go over 30 mph! We rented from the airport so not sure about rentals downtown. But it's not that far away so they might come get you.

Our favorite beach, Smith's Cove, was just down from downtown (where you should arrive on tender). It looks like the beaches you see in the movies! We went back several times. There are no facilities, more of a local beach.

Not much else than what you have listed, except maybe the shoe tree, if that's still there!?

It's a tender port, so unless you have some kind of priority access you'll be waiting in a line and won't be off right at 7am.

Once you have the car, it's 45 min plus to Rum Point. I wouldn't think you'd make the 9am excursion.

All of the things you want to do are at different parts of the island. You'll be hard pressed to do all that.

It's a tender port, so unless you have some kind of priority access you'll be waiting in a line and won't be off right at 7am.

Once you have the car, it's 45 min plus to Rum Point. I wouldn't think you'd make the 9am excursion.

All of the things you want to do are at different parts of the island. You'll be hard pressed to do all that.

We are in a suite so we would be able to get the first tender. I didn't think we would get to all but listed a few we were considering and open to suggestions of something that might bump one of those off. The more I've thought about it I really would like to go to the crafts/local market if at all possible... but not mandatory. :)

The craft market downtown is underwhelming at best. The farmers market at Camana Bay on Wednesdays is better, but don't know what day you're there.

Unfortunately we are there on Thursday a day late.:( Thanks for the tip on the craft market was hoping it would be better than the shops in town for unique things.:(

Unfortunately we are there on Thursday a day late.:( Thanks for the tip on the craft market was hoping it would be better than the shops in town for unique things.:(

There's been about six or seven vendors when I've been there. One had pepper sauces, one with wood carvings, one with woven thatch products, I think one had jewelry maybe. The rest were misc t-shirts and made-in-china tourist stuff. That may vary by the day, though.

It's a nice few minutes if you're already shopping downtown. Not worth making a special trip there, IMO.

Renting the car for RP is a great idea, easy drive and worth the effort IMHO. No time for Hell and not really worth leaving RP early. Otherwise consider a nice day with Fat Fish Adventures if your port times allow.

http://www.fatfishadventures.com/

KISS ("keep it simple stupid") and enjoy your day!

Wow! An affordable private charter. Thanks for this link!