NCL "open bar" cruise vs. regular cruise with UBP

jetsfan526

hey guys, just saw they have 3 and 4 day sailings out of miami that say its OPEN BAR. is this basically the same as having the UBP? can u get drinks over $15? has anyone had experience on these cruises with any advice to share? thanks in advance

Edited by jetsfan526

The main difference I can think of between the 2 is that if you get UBP as a promo, only the first 2 guests get it. But since the SKY has open bar, everyone in the cabin gets it. Don't know in reference to what is covered though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

is this basically the same as having the UBP? can u get drinks over $15?
There is no $15 limit on this ship. Most drinks on the menus are listed with no price, and you can order these for no extra charge. Drinks that are not included in the open bar have a price, so if you order one of those, you get charged that price (+ 18%).

See this thread for some example menus, but keep in mind that they were posted almost a year ago when the Open Bar concept first started on the Sky:

Ncl sky all-inclusive bar menu

I was under the impression that all the same exclusions and rules applied for the open bar as the package?
They are very similar (no specialty coffee, mini-bar/room service, bottled water, etc.), but since they don't list the full prices of drinks on the menus, the $15 limit doesn't apply to the Sky. You can read the full terms specific to this ship here.

They are very similar (no specialty coffee, mini-bar/room service, bottled water, etc.), but since they don't list the full prices of drinks on the menus, the $15 limit doesn't apply to the Sky. You can read the full terms specific to this ship here.

Aha I see! Thanks guys :)

Aha I see! Thanks guys :)

My experience is that it's closer to covering drinks $12 and under, although they never specify pricing as others said. Usually I get Grand Marnier each night after dinner, and with UBP it's covered at no charge. On the Sky, it cost about $4 with the 18% gratuity, since it was considered an upcharge.

The other difference between the open bar and UBP is you don't need to constantly present your seapass to order a drink. If it is on the all inclusive list of drinks then you just order it without having to sign a slip. I found that the bar was quicker since the bartenders didn't have to constantly ring up orders.