Fitting into a life jacket concerns on Excursion

MidWestChill

I've been researching this for days and can't find much help.

We are wanting to do the sting rays and/or snorkeling. A member of our party weighs about 300lbs and while the weight limit is not an issue, nor mobility, going with a company that they are insured to have a fitting life jacket, if one is required, is a must. They are absolutely petrified of it not fitting in front of their family and being turned away, just mortified. And yes, this person is me. ;)

Anyone out there also this obese and have advice or reassurance?

Thank you, I am like having panic attacks over this and it makes me so sad to miss out, but I am just that scared over it. I emailed one company and they said it only went to 44inches, so that freaked me out more.

Edited by MidWestChill

Something you could try is going to a sporting good store before the trip and have him try them on. If he has no problem fitting a standard size should be fine. Worst case if he needs a specialty size is to buy one and bring it with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our tour guide at stingray city would barely give us life jackets. I told him I wanted one and he acted like I was crazy! So I doubt they will make you even put one on, and on the sand bar it's only about 3 feet deep. Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You are wise to consider the fitting of the life jacket. We have been to Stingray City a number of times. Often it can be gentle waters. If it isn't gentle it can become almost a high tide and very rough.

I am a very strong swimmer. On a rough day my daughter freaked out. Honestly there were a few . moments where I worried about our safety. Mostly her putting me under.

So yes. Try a life jacket at home. Or let the excursion company know. You aren't the only 300 lb person traveling. Don't let it stop you.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the feedback. I may just go buy one to bring with me.

First why not ask your tour company and provide them your waist or chest size they will know if it fits!

Let them know it is something you need and want and if they cannot accommodate you choose another company?

At the same time i am sure whatever life jacket you buy they will have. They should be properly equipped.

First why not ask your tour company and provide them your waist or chest size they will know if it fits!

Let them know it is something you need and want and if they cannot accommodate you choose another company?

At the same time i am sure whatever life jacket you buy they will have. They should be properly equipped.

We have not booked any where yet due to my concern, but I have contacted several companies from NativeWay to Capt Marvins. I'm not getting much of a concrete answer, so I was hoping for some BTDT's.

We have not booked any where yet due to my concern, but I have contacted several companies from NativeWay to Capt Marvins. I'm not getting much of a concrete answer, so I was hoping for some BTDT's.

That is weird, i almost booked with captain marvin because of the good reviews when i was there but didn't because they were not available.

It is how i found Island Marketing and had a great time with their guides, try them maybe they can help and provide you with the information you need.

That is weird, i almost booked with captain marvin because of the good reviews when i was there but didn't because they were not available.

It is how i found Island Marketing and had a great time with their guides, try them maybe they can help and provide you with the information you need.

Several companies have now gotten back with me and I am getting somewhere. Captain Marvins is even measuring the strap for me. I am also starting to realize should be fine!

Several companies have now gotten back with me and I am getting somewhere. Captain Marvins is even measuring the strap for me. I am also starting to realize should be fine!

Yea!

I am sure they are so busy this week. Glad things are working out have a great trip!