Snorkel Gear - Rent for week on ship?

heffa72

So we are hoping to do a couple of snorkel adventures, but more on our own (cab it to the beach). A lifetime ago, I recall they used to rent the gear on the ship for you to hold onto for the week. Wondering if that's cost effective vs paying for it at each port. Do they still do that?

We have 3 kids and 2 adults, so I'm also hesitant to lug all of that gear around each time we get on and off the boat. It leaves little room for island purchases!! ;)

Renting each location it depends on where you are going (which ports) but it would cost at least $10-15 each person for rentals at each port... an average set is about $25-30 at Walmart so cost wise, better to buy.

As far as on ship rentals, haven't seen that for a while (in case I am missing it as I usually bring my own gear)

downside is of course the lugging it each port... but that would be the case if you rented from the ship too. I would get one bag that can hold all the gear and just take turns carrying...

So we are hoping to do a couple of snorkel adventures, but more on our own (cab it to the beach). A lifetime ago, I recall they used to rent the gear on the ship for you to hold onto for the week. Wondering if that's cost effective vs paying for it at each port. Do they still do that?

We have 3 kids and 2 adults, so I'm also hesitant to lug all of that gear around each time we get on and off the boat. It leaves little room for island purchases!! ;)

None on the ship to rent.

I have my own snorkel gear and for toting it I bought a terrific mesh backpack that has enough room for flippers and a towel. There is an outside pouch for your incidentals and, get this, the entire backpack folds into the pouch which zips up, so it takes up very little space. Something like this might be a solution to free up your hands for port shopping.

Edited by cruise pup

No ship rentals. You can rent in various ports. But I'm with the others, I just purchase mine and bring them. Amazon sells some decent sets for $60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No ship rental snorkels, not in my cruising history, anyway. I prefer bring my own mask and snorkel for my own comfort set. I'l use other flippers, but I just can't see putting my face and mouth in used (by untold strangers) gear.

I've watched the rental guy at Tabyana beach in Roatan "clean" his masks and snorkels at the end of the day when I was staying at Infinity Bay right next door - all he did was a quick swish in a few inches of beach water with each set.