Extending Duoro River cruise

krillsister

Planning on doing the Douro cruise in 2018. We will extend extra time pre/post cruise on our own

How many days would you add on for Lisbon?

Porto?

Also thinking about flying to Madrid before going home?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Edited by krillsister

Planning on doing the Douro cruise in 2018. We will extend extra time pre/post cruise on our own

How many days would you add on for Lisbon?

Porto?

Also thinking about flying to Madrid before going home?

Any suggestions appreciated.

We had a wonderful Douro River cruise last May. Our cruise/tour was through Vantage.

The tour included three nights (two days) in Lisbon, but one of those days we went to Sintra.

Also, we stayed two more nights in Porto (our tour/cruise) ended there. We loved Porto. Also, did a day trip to Santiago de Compestela that was great.

I would recommend 2-3 days to see Lisbon and more if you take day trips to Evora and Sintra.

Also, in route from Lisbon to Porto stop at Obidos. Porto deserved two days, add more to take day trip to Santiago and other Portuguese cities in the north.

Here is my review of our cruise and trip.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=535267

We are thinking of doing something similar in 2018. Have you chosen the cruise yet? I didn't think many 2018 schedules were out.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Vantage and AMA Waterways have their 2018 Douro river cruise itineraries out. We are opting to go with Vantage (new ship) and having done this before in the spring, we are planning on taking the Harvest cruise mid-October, starting in Madrid and ending in Lisbon. We flew from Lisbon to Madrid on the previous trip and found out that one day was definitely not enough time to see that beautiful city.

Cole

While we enjoyed our stay in Lisbon (2 days) we absolutely LOVED our post-cruise time in Porto (3 days) staying by the waterfront and sampling the wonderful restaurant, shops, museums. Porto was easily navigable by taxi for places not by the waterfront. We were there late September early October.

Where did you stay in Porto?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

We stayed at the InPatio Guesthouse, probably the very best B&B that we have every experienced. It is at a great location, is new inside and the breakfasts are the best.

Reserve early, since they only have five rooms. Cost is about 94 Euros per night.

While we enjoyed our stay in Lisbon (2 days) we absolutely LOVED our post-cruise time in Porto (3 days) staying by the waterfront and sampling the wonderful restaurant, shops, museums. Porto was easily navigable by taxi for places not by the waterfront. We were there late September early October.

We are interested in a fall cruise this time and wondered if you experienced fall colors when you were there in late September and early October?

Cole