Map Showing White Pass

bUU

The route of the White Pass & Yukon railway is easy to pick out on a map, of course (with minor exception, since some portions of the railway have been moved over the years to newer bridges and routed through tunnels), but does anyone know of a source that plots the original White Pass trail, preferably against the railway for comparison? (I assume that the original foot trail didn't include bridges.)

Thanks to both of you for those links. :)

I am looking forward to doing the round trip WP&YR steam train to Fraser and the Chilkoot Hike & Float (http://skagwayfloat.com) on my May Alaska cruise. I would love to take the train to Carcross, but it is not available on the days I'll be in Skagway. I booked the Bennett Scenic Journey with Chilkoot Charters on my previous visits to Skagway in 6/07 and 5/09, but both times that tour was changed to the Yukon Rail & Bus tour - due to the train tracks washing out before we arrived (https://wpyr.com/news/page/3/).

In case the link does not work, I googled Skagway NPS (not the right name of the park, but Google knew what I meant) & then selected maps.

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Some great resources there, including a 180 page document on the history of the White Pass.

Thanks!

Edited by bUU

I am looking forward to doing the round trip WP&YR steam train...
I wonder if doing an excursion that only does the train one-way (and bus the other way) if there is a reason to choose the trip from Skagway or the train to Skagway. Given that the miners generally stampeded from Skagway, is it is a detriment to take WP&YR only on the trip to Skagway?

I wonder if doing an excursion that only does the train one-way (and bus the other way) if there is a reason to choose the trip from Skagway or the train to Skagway. Given that the miners generally stampeded from Skagway, is it is a detriment to take WP&YR only on the trip to Skagway?

I wouldn't think so, it is just a scenic trip. (Many of them took the trip back & forth multiple time to get the ton of equipment to the border.) Be thankful that the scenery does not include the rotting carcasses of the abused pack animals.

My two previous trips were via train to Fraser and bus back, and both times the mornings were rather foggy. That means nothing for anyone else - just that I was unlucky! :D I chose to book the 4-hour round trip steam train this May because it is available at 8 a.m. on the day I'll be in Skagway, and I wanted to experience the scenery on the return to Skagway. I'll still have the afternoon free for the 4-hour Chilkoot Hike & Float. That tour involves hiking the first 2 miles of the Chilkoot Trail from Dyea, followed by a float down the Taiya River on a raft.