Picture Package

Trishak913

They were ok on royal Caribbean. $22 for one which is sadly cheaper than most. To buy the rights to hem is insane though with minimum of $10. Our's were good and used on Christmas cards but then again it's hit or miss. Some of the poses they tell you to do are awkward so just do your own thing instead of what they say

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've generally found the ship photographers to not be particularly talented (on our Alaska cruise they were setting up shots against the sun, in which the people would be in complete shadows), but anyone can get a lucky shot. They are more likely to get a whole family shot than you, and some people do like their pictures.

We don't buy photo packages, just individual pictures we like. Unless there are reduced price on the package onboard. We usually ask crew members available at a place to take pictures on our phone camera. Just being practical

Sent from my iPad using Forums

on our first cruise with dd I bought a photo package, we returned with 35 Pictures, all good Quality, not cheap, but way chaeper than buying one-by.one and I get to be in These Pictures, too.

We are going on our next cruise in April and I´m set on buying a package again.

With Carnival you have to be careful about what photos the packages include. A general package will not include boarding photos or dining room, or some other BS like that. Essentially, they exclude and/or put a premium on photos that you wouldn't be able to get for yourself. Aside from that, and assuming you really want to buy 8 or 10 photos, they can be a good deal.

I can't speak directly about RCCL, but I would not be surprised if they have a similar approach to revenue generation. Just check the terms before laying down the cruise card.

As others have said, these are not all professional photographers. Some are actually really good, and that oddball pose that feels like you're doing yoga turns out to look great. Some other photographers seem to have some basic training and try to mimic the adept photographers and you get the goofy photos. The great thing is that you can do many photos as you like at no cost, and pick the best (or none if that's how it turns out.) At least you can do an many as the 3YO allows. ;)

You might want to make a game out of training them to pose and to take instructions from the photographer (Simon says, anyone?) That may help with the stress of the situation and get you more photos and more opportunity to get that over-the-mantle photo.

You are best to try to hit the photographers when they are not busy. They will take more time, interacts with the child more, and most likely get better photos. At that age, we would skip dinner in the dining room for the opportunity to get better photos.

One last bit of advice, since you didn't ask: :D if this is likely to be a thing, find some frames you like at Hobby Lobby or elsewhere, make sure they are solidly constructed... and when they so on sale buy 12 or 15 more. My kids are 7 and I've now bought 3 sets of frames. I would do eclectic, but my wife won't go for it. The prior sets have been repurposed, but it's still expensive to re-buy frames as the collection expands.