Question about tipping and gratuities

pballrwgp

Hey all new cruiser here and I will be sailing in the ncl escape next month and I had a question. My fiancé and I will be staying in a balcony cabin room and I know we have to pay a 190$ gratuity the question is does that include the ultimate drink package too and dining package it came with or will there be an additional gratuity charge when we're on board.. thank you for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where are you from?

If you booked in the US, you would have been charged 18% grats on your 'free' drink and dining package. This should have been shown when you booked. Your $190 only covers the basic service charge/grats- $13.50 per day, 2x people, x7 days= $190. So if the 18% on the packages is applicable that should have been shown seperatley and isn't included in that $190.

If you are in the UK (and possibly europe? not sure) there is no 18% to pay on the drink and dining package as legally they are not allowed to charge it in the UK. So free is free!

Where are you from?

If you booked in the US, you would have been charged 18% grats on your 'free' drink and dining package. This should have been shown when you booked. Your $190 only covers the basic service charge/grats- $13.50 per day, 2x people, x7 days= $190. So if the 18% on the packages is applicable that should have been shown seperatley and isn't included in that $190.

If you are in the UK (and possibly europe? not sure) there is no 18% to pay on the drink and dining package as legally they are not allowed to charge it in the UK. So free is free!

Yeah I'm in the u.s.a sailing from Miami I rechecked my booking and I was charged for the dining and beverage already now should I bring singles to tip the bartenders more or is it not expected

Yeah I'm in the u.s.a sailing from Miami I rechecked my booking and I was charged for the dining and beverage already now should I bring singles to tip the bartenders more or is it not expected

Not expected.

If the drink package is includedwith your booking, the tip for it is also included. ....

Are you sure about this? OP is on NCL. there are lots of complaints about being charged 18% gratuities at final payment on "free" beverage package.

Edited by NMLady

Are you sure about this? OP is on NCL. there are lots of complaints about being charged 18% gratuities at final payment on "free" beverage package.

I mean if I'm reading t correctly it says on my reservation package fees 224$ after my room amount and taxes and port fees. So I'd assume they were paid

Hey all new cruiser here and I will be sailing in the ncl escape next month and I had a question. My fiancé and I will be staying in a balcony cabin room and I know we have to pay a 190$ gratuity the question is does that include the ultimate drink package too and dining package it came with or will there be an additional gratuity charge when we're on board.. thank you for your help.

Daily Gratuities are for certain services on board: your cabin steward and all meals in included venues( so MDR, Buffet, etc). it covers the people you interact with as well as some you do not.

if it incurs a cost, a gratuity is added at the point of Sale. if you buy a drink package, gratuities will be added to the cost( which then means you are not obligated to tip every time you get a drink although many people still put a dollar down) same if you have a dining package of some sort. ( it does not matter if you paid for it, or it was one of your perks)

I mean if I'm reading t correctly it says on my reservation package fees 224$ after my room amount and taxes and port fees. So I'd assume they were paid

Yes, that $224 will likely be the 18% charge for the beverage and dining package, so you've paid it and are covered. No need to tip extra on meals and drinks- some do, but most don't. However for an extra service like room service you might be expected to give a small tip.

Enjoy the Escape, we are on her in October! If you have any more questions then post them on the NCL forum- it will avoid confused answers from people who aren't familiar with NCL procedures.