Nassau Beach with Kids

The1andonlyjac

My husband and I havent cruised in almost 10 years, and this is the first time we are taking the kids (6 and 4). Our RC cruise stops at Nassau. Its our first stop, so we want to get off the ship at least for some time. Since our kids are so young, we were thinking of just going to a beach for the day. Beach day excursions are so expensive. Is Nassau a safe place to catch a taxi and head to the beach? What beach? My biggest concern: being able to get a taxi that gets us back to the cruise ship.

Any other recommendations for a family with small kids? We have no interest in Atlantis.

Our RC cruise leaves in 2 days and we have similar questions (first time cruisers and our kids are 4 and 2). We've narrowed our options down to getting a day pass at the British Colonial Hilton ($65/adult with food credit) or walking to Junkanoo Beach (free and around a 13 mins walk from what I've read). I'm reading that the walk should be safe enough... We'll probably decide on the ship but it's likely down to these 2 options.

The walk to Junkanoo beach is safe enough...just be careful with your kids in traffic. There will be hundreds of people doing the same walk, so other than the traffic you'll be fine. Just keep your wits about you on the beach itself. I've never had any problems personally, but just like any highly populated area, there may be some thieves around. I've heard about many people getting things stolen while on beaches in the Bahamas...and everywhere for that matter.

I went to Nassau and have honestly never felt less safe. I hated every second! Strange men were shoutings things out of car windows at me and there were people hounding me everywhere. I would prefer to stay on the ship if I went back... sorry!! :(

I hate to be a downer but Nassau is one of my least favourite ports, think a lot of people agree... if you want to read a little more about my experience there then: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/02/worst-cruise-ports-5-ports-which-i-would-not-return-to/

Sorry again I do hate to be negative!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

we're in the same situation in a few weeks. we're zeroing in on junkanoo beach as well. it is as safe as any other beach near a busy downtown area. our only concern is that in the dead of winter there may not be much going on there in terms of getting a drink or something to eat. we're figuring that if we don't dig it, we'll take the #10 bus to cable beach.

I took my son to the Hilton when he was 3 or 4. It was just us, and we walked from the ship with no problems. It was very inexpensive, but I didn't buy the food pass, just the pool and beach pass. We loved every minute of it! It wasn't crowded, the chairs at the pool and the beach are really comfortable, the staff is great, and of course it's the Hilton so I felt very safe. I left our belongings unattended on a chair when we went into the water and everything was still there. I agree about the traffic, though. Just be careful, stay on the sidewalks and you will be just fine. Have fun whatever you decide!!

I wouldn't recommend Junkanoo beach, I have no idea why it's so popular, other than the close proximity to the port. The sand is hard, the water is murky, and the locals will not leave you alone. It's probably one of the worst beaches I have ever been to.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

I took my son to the Hilton when he was 3 or 4. It was just us, and we walked from the ship with no problems. It was very inexpensive, but I didn't buy the food pass, just the pool and beach pass. We loved every minute of it! It wasn't crowded, the chairs at the pool and the beach are really comfortable, the staff is great, and of course it's the Hilton so I felt very safe. I left our belongings unattended on a chair when we went into the water and everything was still there. I agree about the traffic, though. Just be careful, stay on the sidewalks and you will be just fine. Have fun whatever you decide!!

The pass is $60 now, includes a $40 voucher. There is no other option.

I wouldn't recommend Junkanoo beach, I have no idea why it's so popular, other than the close proximity to the port. The sand is hard, the water is murky, and the locals will not leave you alone. It's probably one of the worst beaches I have ever been to.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

Why ? Because it's just a 15 min. walk from the ship and you don't have to spend a dime when you get there.:D We prefer Cabbage Beach.:)

To be clear the beach at the Hilton and Junkanoo are basically next door to each other so if you are willing to walk to the Hilton, you can walk to Junkanoo. We have went here on our last two cruises with out kids 8 and 5. The walk is not too bad and it's not hard to find. As others said you will almost be in a parade of people walking to the beach because so many people go there because of proximity, and yes cost.

We personally look like Clampetts, walking down the sidewalks of Nassau with our bags full of beach stuff and towels. Once you get to the beach, the farther you walk down the less busy it will be.....when you first get there there will be loud music and a few shacks selling booze, chicken, booze, chicken.....and renting chairs (they are negotiable). The sand is not the nicest in the world, but the water is clear(ish) and the waves aren't as bad as some of the other beaches in Nassau. And my kids have a great time....I buy my five beers and five shots for 9.99 (I always donate the shots....I'm not in my 20's anymore) and I get a few lounge chairs and relax. So we spend ten dollars and have a great time and I feel very safe, because there are people everywhere in Nassau. Just do yourself a favor and wait an hour or so to get off the boat, because the people are not as aggressive when you exit the boat.