Men's Formal Wear Question

TheSoccerCoach

Hello friends!

I have a question for you all. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Back in the 90's I was a Social Host on ships and enjoyed the use of a number of tuxedos provided to me by the lines for whom I worked. There was just something about putting a tuxedo on at night and going out and about on board.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first MSC cruise on Divina last year, but feel I would have enjoyed it more had I had better evening wear at my disposal. So, I am in search of a new tuxedo.

I am completely out of the loop as to what is currently considered in fashion, if men still wear cummerbunds, etc. So, I am reaching out to you all!

Sadly, I am not a rich man; I live on a college educator's salary. But, I can afford a yearly cruise and do want to be dressed more properly at night. Plus, my wife and I are looking at joining a local chamber choir, so, there will be need of a tuxedo there as well.

Please send your suggestions my way. Thank you!

There are many places that rent tuxes - high school proms, weddings, etc. Go in and ask what is the classic style now. And when they will have a sale of some of their stock. You might go over to the Cunard board and ask. Cunard people are always experts on formal wear, as that line requires it. And they can tell you what type of shirt for type of coat. (And they are likely to tell you that it must be a self tie bowtie, not a clip or other cheater...). EM

My DH has a formal work event each year, but as a Tech guy who wears jeans and button ups or hoodies each day, he doesn't have many formal options.

I'd agree with Macy's above and also add JC Penney. Additionally stores like Burlington Coat Factory may have some nicer options as well (beware the cheap, crinkly, thin tux shirts! However the ties, bowties, and vests are plenty!). Additionally ebay has a lot of secondhand suits and tuxes available for a steal as long as you know your measurements and are buying from someone reputable.

IMO (and I'm a 30-something and former classical musician) it's better to overdress than underdress, so if you enjoy the full tux, go for it! It's a timeless and classy look. Cheers!

My DH has a formal work event each year, but as a Tech guy who wears jeans and button ups or hoodies each day, he doesn't have many formal options.

I'd agree with Macy's above and also add JC Penney. Additionally stores like Burlington Coat Factory may have some nicer options as well (beware the cheap, crinkly, thin tux shirts! However the ties, bowties, and vests are plenty!). Additionally ebay has a lot of secondhand suits and tuxes available for a steal as long as you know your measurements and are buying from someone reputable.

IMO (and I'm a 30-something and former classical musician) it's better to overdress than underdress, so if you enjoy the full tux, go for it! It's a timeless and classy look. Cheers!

Thank you!