Honest Must Read Recap: Star Princess 10/30

TimmyRocks

[quote name='codex57'] Sounds weird, but I read that it costs a ton of money (for some weird reason) to open and close the retractable roofs on sports stadiums.[/quote]

It costs a lot to open/close roofs on sports stadiums because of the size of the roof. A roof that covers a football stadium or baseball park is quite large. And with structural components, size equals weight. So you have two issues, you have to move a lot of wieght, and you have to move it a long way. A lot of weight means big motors/generators, which means a lot of electricity. I think that is where the cost comes in.

Given the on-board capacity to make electricity, the weight of the roof and the distance it has to go on the ship, I doubt cost is a major factor.

But what do I know? I am not a structural or mechnical engineer. :)

[quote name='BroncosCruiser']It costs a lot to open/close roofs on sports stadiums because of the size of the roof. A roof that covers a football stadium or baseball park is quite large. And with structural components, size equals weight. So you have two issues, you have to move a lot of wieght, and you have to move it a long way. A lot of weight means big motors/generators, which means a lot of electricity. I think that is where the cost comes in.

Given the on-board capacity to make electricity, the weight of the roof and the distance it has to go on the ship, I doubt cost is a major factor.

But what do I know? I am not a structural or mechnical engineer. :)[/quote]

When we were on the Glory in 2003, we noticed that the aft pool on the Lido (at least, I think it was the Lido) deck had a retractable roof. It was open when the weather was nice. At night, and a couple of times when we got some rain, it was closed. I am not a structural or mechanical engineer, either, but I thought it was very nicely designed. Our CB cruise in May will be our first Princess cruise, but I am just curious as to why Princess (at least, those who would make the decisions onboard) would not use the retractable roof when appropriate on the Star.

[quote name='TimandKathleen']Look - it's simply NOT TRUE that the burgers are pre-cooked!!! When the ship was in port Princess island trap and the ship was not very bust they did cook a few and put them in a covered pan to stay hot, but other than that I've seen them put uncooked meat in the grill my fiend. The vege burgers were frozen of course..............you kno what? Even if they were what you say - than I don't know how the could be so frsh, moist and flavorfull and wouldn't even care if pre cooking them turned the out this way. I'm telling you some people know pizza and it's always down to ones own taste, but I live in New England CT, MA, NY area and I know pizza where some parts of the country consider Pizza Hut or Domino's the best. They don;t even know what a frsh local place is...........and I lived on Houston and McDougal in Manhattan so I think I have a clue - my taste maybe? I did notice very few adults eating it and the kids don't know better......

What is the pizza cook your Brother? Man you guys jumped all over me........[/QUOTE]

From Long Island orginally myself and lived in Manhattan for a few years and worked for many more and we LOVED the pizza while on board the Golden this summer. Can't get good pizza here in Florida and I felt like I was back in NY!

Another vote for the yummy Princess pizza. Also from NY (originally) and it is way better than anything we can get in the DC area. I'm still trying to lose my "pizza weight" from my cruise this September....

Thanks for posting the picture, Jpancake. You made me hungry! :D MMmmmm.

I didn't have the pizza on the Star, but the burger from the grill was fresh, juicy and delicious. (The pizza on the Sun Princess was the best!)

Did anyone have the sorbet offered each night in the dining room? Every night I passed up the heavy goodies and went for the sorbet...yum! I'd love to know how they make it so good!

[quote name='Eddie4Paws']Did anyone have the sorbet offered each night in the dining room? Every night I passed up the heavy goodies and went for the sorbet...yum! I'd love to know how they make it so good![/quote]

I had both the heavy goodies AND the sorbets. :p I asked what brand it was, but my waiter said it was handmade on the ship. The black cherry one on the last night was just so-so tho. I really loved the mint chocolate chip ice cream. Brown like regular chocolate ice cream, but the mint comes on afterwards and you can tell real mint leaves were used.

[quote name='codex57']I was on the Oct. 30 sailing too and tried teh pizza place twice. It did NOT look like that slice. Cheese had a weird consistency to it that looked like cottage cheese. The stuff separated into mall chunks on the pizza. Didn't stretch like normal. Taste was so-so. I'm not a major pizza snob so I ate most of it, but couldn't finish cuz it looked too weird and wasn't particularly good.
[/QUOTE]
I think you either like thin crust pizza or you don't. It's not a matter of which is better ... rather, it's your personal preference. My father loves a thick crust with little or no "grease" on his pizza. Me ... hey, give me that thin crust and as much grease as you can get on there. :)

Also, anytime pizza is pre-made ... as it would be in a serving line ... how good your pizza is gonna be will be determined by how fresh it is. If you wind up with the last slice, it's not gonna be as good as when the pizza comes fresh out of the oven. I had the pizza twice while I was on the Island this past April. It was delicious the first time ... not quite as good the second time. The first time, it was piping hot from the oven. The second time it had been sitting there for a bit.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived