Santiago de Cuba - On Your Own Questions

98Charlie

We will be in Santiago de Cuba for one day in March.

• What is the location of the tender boat pier? I've looked at several maps and found what looks like the probable location.
  • Do you have any "must sees" in Santiago de Cuba?

Charlie

We will be in Santiago de Cuba for one day in March.

• What is the location of the tender boat pier? I've looked at several maps and found what looks like the probable location.
  • Do you have any "must sees" in Santiago de Cuba?

Charlie

Here is a map of the docking location. (1)There is direct docking at this port. (2)The white dot is the Currency Kiosk. (3) There is a lovely new park created with benches and trees great for people watching and, (4) a restaurant (which we have yet to try.)

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/Santiago%20De%20Cuba_1.jpg

Thanks!

I went back and checked the revised itinerary and it does specify "Tender Required" for our stop in Santiango de Cuba. Possibly there is another ship that has docking priority.

Guess we'll find out when we get there.

Charlie

Thanks!

I went back and checked the revised itinerary and it does specify "Tender Required" for our stop in Santiango de Cuba. Possibly there is another ship that has docking priority.

Charlie

Tendering into this port will be a first for us in four years. However, at the mouth of the large dock I had pointed out, there is a small landing for water taxies and ferries so I can only assume then that is where the tenders will tie up.

Thanks!

Charlie

Where does it say that it is tendering? I have looked at all the info I have from Fathom and my travel agent (vacations to go) and can't find any info on whether it is a tender or a dock at port. I believe we are on the same sailing in March?

Where does it say that it is tendering? I have looked at all the info I have from Fathom and my travel agent (vacations to go) and can't find any info on whether it is a tender or a dock at port. I believe we are on the same sailing in March?

A few shots of the Crystal docked at Santiago De Cuba.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/Santiago%20de%20Cuba.07.jpg

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/Santiago%20de%20Cuba.10.jpg

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/Santiago%20de%20Cuba.9_1.jpg

Edited by ONT-CA

Hi all!

Just want to mention to be sure to watch the sail into the port, I thought it the best of them all. Would you agree ONT-CA? Chimo! ~ Jo ~ :)

Very true, Jo. In both the port of Santiago De Cuba and Cienfuegos the ship must first traverse the narrow inlet into the open bay and that is a sight to behold. Best location is the bow of the ship, furtherest point aft on deck Five (5) Thanks Jo.

Chimo

Ron

It was in the Booking Confirmation email that I received 12/22/16.

The Booking Itinerary says: "March 14 Sangtiago de Cuba" and under that "Tender Required".

I booked directly with Fathom.

Charlie

It was in the Booking Confirmation email that I received 12/22/16.

The Booking Itinerary says: "March 14 Sangtiago de Cuba" and under that "Tender Required".

I booked directly with Fathom.

Charlie

We are on the same cruise. They gave us a price we couldn't refuse. We were told originally that we would be on the mandatory bus tour but when I paid and went to check in I found that the self guide option was the only one that was free. Go figure. I called fathom and confirmed the self guide option.

We have seen some interesting sites on the various websites so I guess we will get a cab for the day like we do in every other port.

How much cash is everyone taking on shore? Has anyone figured out what the negotiated taxi rates are?

There is a balance (or a bit of confusion) going on there, IMO, about what constitutes activities for a full time schedule of "people to people" activities and who, the cruise line or the individual passenger, is responsible for seeing that the OFAC requirements are fulfilled. (Of course, since no one checks or has been checking for quite some time, it becomes a moot point, but the cruise lines might be doing CYA with a "mandatory bus tour ".) My understanding is that while land tours apply for their own license from OFAC which covers participants, but the cruise lines are currently requiring passengers to apply (by checking one of those 12 little boxes on the form) on their own; therefore, DIY is acceptable.

There is a balance (or a bit of confusion) going on there, IMO, about what constitutes activities for a full time schedule of "people to people" activities and who, the cruise line or the individual passenger, is responsible for seeing that the OFAC requirements are fulfilled. (Of course, since no one checks or has been checking for quite some time, it becomes a moot point, but the cruise lines might be doing CYA with a "mandatory bus tour ".) My understanding is that while land tours apply for their own license from OFAC which covers participants, but the cruise lines are currently requiring passengers to apply (by checking one of those 12 little boxes on the form) on their own; therefore, DIY is acceptable.

I suspect the word "mandatory" came from ericstacie rather than Fathom. The appropriate word is probably "default". Like the Cuba cruise there are 3 choices offered for Santiago de Cuba plus self-guided. The only difference is price: $129 vs $0 for the El Morro tour and $129 vs $59 for the El Cobre tour. Private tours are $209 for either cruise.

You are allowed to check both boxes (cruise tour and self=guided). This makes a little more sense on the Cuba cruise where there are 4 days in 3 ports. If you go self-guided you are supposed to retain records, receipts, etc.

Edited by pbenjamin

I suspect the word "mandatory" came from ericstacie rather than Fathom.

I know what my TA told me; that is why I called Fathom twice and with different answers. Anyway, I am not interested in splitting hairs, just getting two questions answered in reference to the original post.

- How much cash did a past traveler take and how expensive is everything? Or how much is someone taking with them?

Does anyone know the taxi rates for an all day tour for a vehicle big enough to fit 3 people?

Thanks.

I know what my TA told me; that is why I called Fathom twice and with different answers. Anyway, I am not interested in splitting hairs, just getting two questions answered in reference to the original post.

- How much cash did a past traveler take and how expensive is everything? Or how much is someone taking with them?

Does anyone know the taxi rates for an all day tour for a vehicle big enough to fit 3 people?

Thanks.

It would be the rare TA in the US who knew anything about OFAC regulations , particularly vis-à-vis a cruise.

It's only splitting hairs until OFAC comes looking for proof of your itinerary.

Try telling them you aren't responsible, the cruise line was. jajajajaja

In my experience, take 50% to 100% more cash than you think you might need. (You can always bring it home.) Not many places take credit cards, even if you have one that works there, and things are more expensive than you might anticipate.

An entrée in a paladar is about 6-10 CUC. For that, they can be good, or awful; you take your chances. Soda is about 2 CUC. Alcoholic drinks can be anywhere from 2 CUC to 6 CUC depending on what kind of establishment.

Taxis were my biggest expense, because sometimes in the extreme heat/humidity, I just wanted a break in a modern car with air conditioning.

In Havana, a 2 hour tour in a nicely restored classic 1950s car is about 120 CUC. Probably somewhat cheaper in SdC.

Taxi rates can be negotiated if you have Spanish and patience. Only some drivers have English. 60 CUC/day maybe in the provinces.

ericstacie -

Here's something that was posted by ONT-CA on another thread that you might find somewhat useful. Click Here to get to the full thread.

When on foot, the hilly streets of Santiago De Cuba can be challenging. There is an abundant number of Pedicabs operating in Santiago that hold two passengers. Should you be interested in having the driver of one show you around, note the following. Few if any of the operators speak much English. You will be quoted a price but later that price can be revealed to be per passenger and that price may or may not include a trip up to Revolution Square without an additional cost. Because they are licensed and as some do gamble on operating without one, ask to see his "permiso", for if caught without one by any of the abundant police bike patrols, you will be asked to vacate the vehicle wherever intercepted.

The Pedicab may be the only source of income for these operators and their families and they can successfully take you about showing you places of interest like the old Bacardi distillery for example but they, like most tourist ventures have learned how to maximize the "adventure". So do hale one if you are so inclined but I recommend that before climbing aboard you have full agreement on the total price, the areas covered (or duration) and that he is licensed to take you around.

It doesn't directly address your questions but may add some insight about traveling OYO in SdC.

Charlie

Any information is helpful thanks. Charlie are you doing OYO or going with the tour group? I wonder what percentage does OYO

From a recent Cuba cruise (via Fathom Cuba app)

El Cobre excursion: 88

El Morro excursion: 245

Self Guided: 14

I think that this was only the people using the app.

I have booked the "Magic of Santiago" tour. But I'm leaning toward OYO at this time.

Since this is a one off opportunity I want to see the things that I want and not have to get back on the coach if I'm interested or stand around when I'm ready to move on.

OTOH I'm thrilled about the chance to see a slice of Cuba. So no matter what "it's all good"[emoji2]

See you on the ship.

Charlie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums