kids charged for character breakfast?

AMB1

this will be our first non-Disney cruise, and I'm already not getting a fuzzy warm feeling.

We can't take pictures of the characters with kids on our own camera? Are you serious?

We have to pay to eat with the characters? Oh my...

I really hope the larger and more featured ship will be worth it.

We are huge Disney fans (WDW not DCL) and our kids LOVED our last cruise on Navigator that actually had NO characters. We are going on Liberty in April and I know that they are going to have a blast again even without a lot of character time. (We will not be paying for character dining!)

I had major anxiety before our first cruise because it's SOOO much less structured than our Disney trips on the smaller ships (no entertainment schedules ahead of time, barely anything book able in advance etc). In the end - it was a great vacation for us and the kids!

My kids both enjoyed the kids menu at Sabor (which was not the same as the kids menu in MDR!). They loved the appetizers and desert tray there and will be joining us there again this trip! I'm sure they will dine at Giovanni's with us too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This opinion seems out of step with most commenting here, but we did it on Oasis and it was really good. Much more than a passing wave from the characters, they came around for pictures and did some funny little dances etc which the kids around seemed to love. All the food is chocolate themed :)

Same here. We quite enjoyed it on Allure. It was something special for our kids (and yummy chocolate theme)

You are welcome. If you go to where you booked it and scroll down to terms and conditions it shows the ages for pricing in small print at the bottom.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

this will be our first non-Disney cruise, and I'm already not getting a fuzzy warm feeling.

We can't take pictures of the characters with kids on our own camera? Are you serious?

We have to pay to eat with the characters? Oh my...

I really hope the larger and more featured ship will be worth it.

Strange. We took tons of photos with the characters with our own camera at the meet and greets. Never experienced that.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

I'm back to being discouraged! I tried booking dining at Giovanni's and it is charging $30pp for both the 8-year-old and the 11-year-old, even though the link you kindly provided says kids 6-12 eat for $8. This is frustrating. I think we will stick to the MDR for the week.

When I was on the Freedom two years ago, we had dinner at Giovanni's. My daughters were 11 and 13 at the time. They charged all of us the regular fee but only $8 for my 11 year old. At the time I didn't even realize that kids were less. We booked this dinner on the ship when they came around in the MDR one night selling their speciality dining. Since we didn't pre-book before the cruise, we were not charged for it until after the dinner and we were pleasantly surprised at the kid discount.

Booking kids pre-cruise always results in full price charges. However, they will credit you onboard if the kids eat off the kids menu.

Is the kids menu in the specialty dining the same as the mdr? If so, they shouldn't charge anything for the kids, in my opinion.

Is the kids menu in the specialty dining the same as the mdr? If so, they shouldn't charge anything for the kids, in my opinion.

No, the specialty restaurants have kids menus that are specific to those restaurants. Those menus have the reduced charge. If your kid orders off the adult menu despite their age, they will be charged the adult price. If they order off the main dining room kids menu, they will not be charged.

I don't recall if the food was chocolate themed or not; has the character breakfast replaced what used to be the MDR once a cruise chocolate breakfast?

Not replaced - when we did it half the MDR was cordoned off for the chocolate character breakfast, but the chocolate items were also being served in the other half