Corfu Airport

As has been mentioned on this forum many times "Corfu Airport" is a nightmare (sometimes awaiting cases) & (coming home). I have read the new owners (they bought a number of airports (sorry 40 year lease)), the main partner is the German company "Fraport", I was reading that as part of the terms they must make certain improvements within two years and significant ones within four years.

Now improvements at Corfu would be welcome as i feel its the part that lets you down after what is always a great cruise (ex Corfu).

Afraid it's one of those - just have to grin and bear it. Enjoy the beautiful island of Corfu, the awful airport would not stop us visiting the island.

Improvements have been promised for the past 25 years cannot see anything changing in the near future.

Talking of Corfu ,,does anybody know which area/ resort I would find a nice beach? The cruise itineraries are great and there are some lovely hotels but the ones I've stayed in so far have been miles away from everything or up a very steep hill. I want somewhere with a nice sandy beach and lots of bars and shops around.,,fairly lively!

That's what I'm looking for too cappers! Like you we have been in two lovely hotels but both were a bit isolated and the beaches were quite small or man made.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We're they by any chance either the atlantica grand,,with a funny little funicular up and down the multi level hill with all the rooms and the pool and restaurant at the very top? Or the Eva palace? Both very nice hotels,,but the location of both just about drove me mad. Nowhere to walk to,,no shops,,no bars,,nothing around,,good job I was exhausted after a hectic cruise or I would have been bored silly. And,,is it just me or do they just not do entertainment in hotels in Corfu?

Yes, one was the Eva Palace! Beautiful hotel but as you say nowhere to walk to except the only other hotel nearby. The other one we have stayed at was the Louis Corcyra Beach which we loved but although it was in Gouvia there was very little there apart from a couple of shops and a few restaurants. It was a bit nearer to Corfu town but the local bus was a nightmare! Would love to go back to the Corcyra Beach but it would be very much a 'chill out' stay.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Talking of Corfu ,,does anybody know which area/ resort I would find a nice beach? The cruise itineraries are great and there are some lovely hotels but the ones I've stayed in so far have been miles away from everything or up a very steep hill. I want somewhere with a nice sandy beach and lots of bars and shops around.,,fairly lively!

There is a beautiful spot on the west coast of Corfu which has a hotel just above a fabulous beach. It is Aghios Gordios and the hotel used to be called the Aghios Gordios Hotel which was family run and became part of the Thomson Gold collection.

I think it is now called the Mayor Verde Resort hotel and may be Thomson Platinum.

It is very near to the pretty Aghios Gordios village which has numerous bars and restaurants. You can walk to the village along the beach or along the road.

Fantastic sunsets from the restaurant and all the rooms.

You can get the local bus into Corfu Town from the village.

It is the only hotel we have stayed at 3 times, and are likely to return to because of the setting. We are hoping one of the latest Thomson ships might be based in Corfu and we could return to there on a cruise and stay.