GSC....wheelchair accessible?

margoula

We are thinking of renting a small cabana on GSC in October. My BIL will have a motorized scooter.....are the cabanas easily accessible via this mode of transportation?

Also......does anyone happen to know which small cabana would be in the best location due to mobility issues?

Thank you in advance.

Can your brother climb onto the tender without assistance? He must be mobile enough to manage entering the tender from the ship going down a few steps.

GSC used to have beach wheel chairs I don't know if that is the situation now, you should contact the access desk to find out this information.

From the NCL website:

Ship Transfers and Shore Excursions Facilities

Ship Transfers & Tenders

Guests must be aware that certain vessel transfers, such as tendering and gangways, may not be fully accessible to wheelchairs or scooters at the time that they desire or that they cannot go ashore at all. When a ship is unable to dock, guests are taken ashore on smaller boats called tenders. Some guests with limited mobility may find it difficult to embark or disembark the ship at certain times while at dock or while tendering. Note: scooters and wheelchairs and/or guests that weigh 100lbs or more are not allowed to be transferred from the ship to tender and/or from tender to shore.

Can families & you assist/transfer your BIL onto the double decker tender boat, assuming the Breakway can drop anchor & safely ... then, he will need to take more steps and disembark from the lower deck to get on the tender pier. On the return to the ship, board lower & exit on upper deck to transfer to the platform/gangway up back onboard - we've seen friends & families doing all the assist. Beach-style wheelchairs (manual) are (I think) available - I don't believe NCL allow and/or have provisions for motorized scooters to be taken or use on GSC.

In short, GSC is really not designed for nor readily accessible friendly - tendering, especially if the seas are less than calm and perfect with almost no wind - is challenging and I've seen folks turn around at the gangway, afraid to step out to the platform for the transfer onto these island-based boats (with a capacity of 400 to 500).

Don't take my words for it as we haven't seen it since the post-upgrade & improvement recently (still work-in-progress) but feel free to call NCL's Access Desk and ask.

It's not surprisingly that a good portion of the pax stayed onboard & enjoy the much quieter ship ... plenty of shaded area on deck 15 and even 16 and loungers ... chair hogs less of a problem.

See this -

Edited by mking8288

Hi

I was there last week and there were certainly some beach wheelchairs (big bouncy tires) waiting for people who might need them. We had a large cabana and they specifically had a sign saying no wheelchair access even though there was a ramp to get in. I agree with the comments that you should contact NCL so there's no surprises or disappointment to spoil any of your trip.