Passionate KARAOKE singer needs info!

gsosings

We have gone along to Karaoke nights on several RCI ships, and to be honest they were of varying standards in terms of the equipment and hosts.

I don't think they will be able to change the key for you, or play your own music. In my experience they are not very sophisticated. Pretty basic equipment, and inexperienced staff thrown in to get on with it, but it didn't spoil our enjoyment.

For us, the best Karaoke was on Independence of the Seas, where they held the Final in the large theatre, and the worst one was Allure, which had a very annoying host and it was quite chaotic. It's all good fun anyway, as long as people don't take themselves too seriously. Enjoy!

Thanks for asking questions that I dared not ask! (witness the smart-aleck answers).

Don't ever be afraid to ask, just ignore the stupid replies like the iceberg comment. I rarely go to Karaoke, only do when someone I know is singing, but its like a lot of activities on Royal, that I don't participate in, it takes people away from the ones I do like.

• 1 year later...

I was on the Allure in 2016 and the list of songs was very limited. Seemed like a lot of people ended up singing show tunes. Some KJs know what they're doing and will adjust the key for you; others are talking the whole time you're performing and don't seem to be aware of what's going on. I'm not the best singer, so I didn't expect to win, but they do include audience cheering in the finalist decisions, so if you're not with a group of rowdy friends who clap and yell for you, you're not going to win no matter how good you are. There were a couple really good singers in our contest who didn't make it to finals while other, clearly drunk, not great singers moved on. All in all, it is karaoke, however, and the whole thing is to have fun. I'm going back on the Allure later this year and would love to get my hands on the song list to see if it's improved.

I love watching karaoke on ships! I’ve done it a couple of times many years ago but was really bad. I will admit that I’ve usually had a few cocktails which makes booth the good and the bad a bit better.

It never fails but it seems like there’s always a woman who sings “Crazy” by Patsy Cline. For some reason, they always appear to be extremely serious and think they sing like a professional even though no one else thinks so.

Someday maybe I’ll give it a try again.........