Rent a Vehicle

Just Married

JUSTMARRIED: I posted to you on another thread in the RCI regarding joining our roll call thread for the meet and mingle for the 11/26 cruise. Now I see this question and I have an answer for you !!!! I am on the same cruise as you and we have rented a Suzuki Grand Vitara Hard top 3 door 4wd auto/air with unltd mileage from Hertz for the day. The cost is $ 51.00 + you must purchase an Antiguan drivers license ($20.00) by showing them your US drivers license (will make a good souvenier). IF YOU BOOK THRU THE ST. JOHNS HEAD OFFICE LOCATION THEY WILL DELIVER YOUR CAR TO THE PIER FOR FREE. Actually they can't bring it all the way to the pier but will deliver to the Heritage Hotel a block away from pier.... We have ours scheduled to pick up at 8:30 and return at 4:00. I just went to www.hertz.com and got the 800 INTERNATIONAL telephone # and called.... they were very very helpful. Anyway come on over to our thread... there are a couple of people who have done this itinerary and this ship a couple of times and can answer ANY QUESTION YOU HAVE !!!!;)

Hey Texan...

Sorry it took so long to write back, had a busy last 2 days. I did get all of your messages (so I think) and I've been working on this whole renting a car in Antigua.

Which thread are you referring to with others who have done this itinerary?? I will definitly check it out.

I talked to hubby and he says that "sure" we can go to the Meet and Mingle (I don't think it matters to him, I'm the computer junkie.. LOL)..

Maybe we can swap some ideas for this Antiguan Road Trip.. So far, I know from sure I want to check out Darkwood Beach.. but that's about it so far.. I like what Antiguan posted in the other thread, but now I need a map to figure it all out.. Whew...

Amy

Amy, I see you found the "other thread" I was referring to. It is under Roll Calls - Meet and Mingle Royal Caribbean Serenade 11/26 etc etc....

I ordered a map online for $3.50 and it is much better than anything I have found on any website.... I think I got it from www.skyviews.com but not sure now. It is a free copy when you get to the island but I wanted one now so I could plan ahead. Just me - the planner !

I believe we are going to cut through the center down to Nelsons Dockyard first and the back to the coast towards Darkwood. We ALWAYS go to the furthest point away from the ship and work our way back as the day goes on. That way if there is a problem you are closer as it is later and less likely to "miss the boat" :eek: anyway that itinerary is not written in stone yet...

If you want to attend the Meet & Mingle you have to sign up and get an invitation.... soon as they close it like 3 days before the cruise and then you cant sign up. Just go to the roll call thread again (main page) and click on the MEET AND MINGLE link. It's real easy and they will put an invitation in your cabin when you board.

Cheryl

Texan,

I'm going to try and give Hertz a call today and see what they still have available. You mentioned the Antiguan DL, but showing your American (or in our case Canadian DL) so when and how does this get done if they are dropping off the vehicle at a nearby hotel?

And I totally understand about the map thing, I too am by far a planner. My husband said, why do we need to figure it out, we'll just get in teh car and go.. and I'm like go where!?!?! you have no idea as you've never been. You have to check things out a little bit.. get some ideas!! I guess that's why us women do all the work.. :)

Amy

Amy, to get an Antiguan drivers license all you have to do is show them your US/Canadian one and they will write one up for you....no test or anything. I think it just a way to get $20.00 out of you ;)

Yep, we women think alike. My dh has said there is really no reason for me to go on this trip as I have researched everything to the point that its like I have already been there........ of course when we get somewhere everyone says " OK Cheryl, what are we doing today ?" Imagine what would happen if I said...."don't know". Nothing is written in stone but at least I know WHAT THERE IS TO DO and where it is etc. etc. instead of just getting there and THEN trying to figure it out. You only have one day on each island.....why waste any of it standing around .

Good luck with Hertz.... if you have any memberships in like AAA or American Express card - you can get a discount.... ask them what they have available !!! Always worth a try.

Archived