Cabin curiosity

lucyd

I am trying to decide between port- side cabins on deck 7 or 8. I hope for some help as deck 7 seems more convenient but deck 8 quiet.

1). I am confused about the existence of a port-side passenger entrance/exit to the Explorer lounge or would I need to walk back to the elevator and circle back to the starboard side main entrance? My fellow cruiser is 80 years old so walking is an issue.

2) On Deck 7 are the cabins quiet and secluded or would there be traffic/noise related to the other venues on that deck?

3) is deck 8 the smoking area and can that odor ne noticed on the Sun Deck or Cabins/balconies on that deck.

Thanks to all the previous Viking Cruisers.

I am trying to decide between port- side cabins on deck 7 or 8. I hope for some help as deck 7 seems more convenient but deck 8 quiet.

1). I am confused about the existence of a port-side passenger entrance/exit to the Explorer lounge or would I need to walk back to the elevator and circle back to the starboard side main entrance? My fellow cruiser is 80 years old so walking is an issue.

2) On Deck 7 are the cabins quiet and secluded or would there be traffic/noise related to the other venues on that deck?

3) is deck 8 the smoking area and can that odor ne noticed on the Sun Deck or Cabins/balconies on that deck.

Thanks to all the previous Viking Cruisers.

Can't help you much, but I imagine someone will know more than me. I DO remember that there was a door on 8 from the area where the cabins are that went into the back of the Explorer Lounge upper area. (Explorer Lounge is a double decker affair if I remember correctly. It was not used a lot, but it was nice because of that - in other words, it was kind of quiet, and a good place to relax and perhaps look outside without being outside.) What I don't remember is how I reached it - starboard side or port. Unfortunately, I guess that's what you're hoping to find out! I think there was only one door, though, so I'm assuming you'd have to circle back to the elevator on one side!

I didn't spend much time on the sun deck, but when I did, I didn't notice any smoke or other odors.

You'll be using the area around the Explorer's Desk a lot for embarking/disembarking the ship, although there may be a few times you'll enter and exit on another level due to how the port and ramps to the port are configured. With someone with mobility issues I'd probably try to choose a room that's convenient to that area, plus the main dining room. Those seem to be the places you would be traveling to the most. Of course, if you have a particular interest (spa area or World Cafe for buffet meals, for example - quite handy for breakfast and lunch) you may want to factor their location into your decision.

In the end, if deck 7 seems as attractive as deck 8 and you're still waffling, I'd probably go with deck 7, simply because the higher up you go, in my experience, the more ship movement you may feel - especially at the back or front of the ship. We found Star to be extremely smooth sailing, so this may not be anything much to consider, but I just thought I'd throw it out there in case it could be.

Edited by roothy123

We have stayed on deck 7 both times we've cruised on the Star.

As to the noise, all I can say is it depends on your 'neighbors'. Specifically doors closing. They can be quite loud if your cabin neighbors are not careful and they let them 'slam shut'.

At the end of the hallway on level 7 is a door, as far as I can remember is unmarked & unlabeled. This opens into a small area (I wouldn't even call it a 'room) of less than 6' x 6', but it may be much smaller than that.

Once entering this door, their is a door on your left which opens into the Explorers lounge.

We have stayed in room 7008 & 7010 and we used this entrance all the time.

Very convenient.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions let me know.

We have stayed on deck 7 both times we've cruised on the Star.

As to the noise, all I can say is it depends on your 'neighbors'. Specifically doors closing. They can be quite loud if your cabin neighbors are not careful and they let them 'slam shut'.

I think maybe there may be a requirement to have those heavy, self closing doors on cruise ships, or perhaps all ships, since every cruise ship I've been on has them. No big deal to me, but I remember one of the less positive people on the maiden voyage mentioned that the doors made a lot of noise. I believe he/she suggested to Viking that the doors be replaced.

We were in cabin 8013 in November. It was a very quiet room, however it does depend on your neighbors. In July we had a cabin on the 5th floor and someone in the next room had hearing difficulties and would turn their television volume very loud.

You cannot smell any smoke from the smoking area, it is quite a distance from the rooms. There is an entry into the upper level of the Explorer lounge - the upper level is very quiet and few passengers use it. You must use stairs to get from the upper level of the Explorer lounge to the level on the 7th floor.

The inconvenience of the room on the 8th floor was to get to the World Cafe you could use the elevator to the 7th and then walk through the pool area - when the roof is closed that area is very hot and humid. We would usually walk along the outside deck on the 8th floor and down the stairs to the World Cafe. The rooms on the 7th floor would also necessitate a walk through the pool area.