Laundry Service

Tooth Gal

Our only other cruise was with HAL. On the first or second day they gave a paper bag, and whatever laundry you could fit in there, they would clean for $12.

I could have won an award with how tightly I packed it :)

I was wondering if RCCL (Legend of the Seas) has any type of thing like this. If not, does any one know how much laundry service is?

Thanks!

Cindy

Here's the FAQ's from the RCI website...

Self-Service Laundry facilities are not provided onboard any Royal Caribbean International ships; however, full laundry and dry cleaning services are provided :

SHIPBOARD LAUNDRY SERVICE

* All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

MEN WOMEN Shirt/T-Shirt: $2.50 Blouse: $3.50 Shirt (dress): $3.00 Dress (wash): $5.00 Underwear: $1.20 Skirt: $3.50 Jeans: $3.00 Nightgown: $3.00 Pajamas: $4.00 Swimsuit: $2.00 Handkerchif: $0.75 Slip: $2.50 Shorts: $2.50 Housecoat: $3.50 Bathrobe: $3.50 Hosiery: $3.50 Pants (wash): $3.50 Slacks: $3.50 Sweatshirt: $3.00 Socks: $1.00 PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices SHIPBOARD DRY CLEANING SERVICES * All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

MEN WOMAN Suit: $7.00 Evening Gown: $8.00 Pants: $4.25 Dress $7.00 Jacket: $4.50 Silk Blouse: $5:00 Sweater: $4.00 Silk Dress: $8.00 Coat: $7.00 Skirt $4.50 Tie: $2.00 Suit: $7.50 Shirt: $3.50 Blouse: $4.00 Shorts: $3.00 Scarf: $2.50 Vest $2.50 Silk Pajamas: $4.50 PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices Please note: We do not provide irons in the staterooms as they constitute a fire hazard.

Probably the biggest negative in my opinion is the lack of self service laundry's on RCCL. Especially since we prefer longer sailings. It was a pleasure to pack so much lighter on my recent Norwegian cruise since self service laundry facilities were provided.

There are two kinds of people in this world: :)

1. Those who do laundry while on vacation.

2. Those who do NOT do laundry while on vacation.

:D :D

And I would definitely fall into category number 2. Especially considering I go out of my way to avoid doing laundry at home.

I would rather spend a short time at the end of the day doing laundry than pay those outrageous prices which RCCL charges. On my recent 11 day NCL cruise I did laundry twice. Wow, such a hassle. Those prices stated above are a rip off. On any extended cruise self service laundry facilities are necessary.

There are two kinds of people in this world: :)

1. Those who do laundry while on vacation.

2. Those who do NOT do laundry while on vacation.

:D :D

Yep. Exactly right. And worded properly too--typically it seems to be written people who "want to do laundry" on vacation. Um, nobody wants to do laundry. At least nobody I would consider sane. LOL.

I'm a 1 simply because we can pack less and we both have disabilities that make schlepping heavy stuff difficult--not to mention all the medical stuff we have to bring now that adds to the luggage burden. Plus, my DH does all the laundry the rest of the year--and he does a great job. Rarely do I sort, load, unload, or fold; it just magically gets cleaned and put in the closet. So, I figure I can give him a break when we travel--after all I'm not cooking (he does the dishes year-round out of enlightened self-interest: I cook, he cleans or no more cooking :D ) or doing any of my normal home stuff. So it really doesn't bother me to do a load or two on the road, and I can use our sensitive skin products as well.

beachchick

Another thing that is aggravating about no laundry facilities on RCCL is that the airlines are now getting so picky about the weight limit of luggage. It doesn't take much for a suitcase to weigh 50 pounds. We went on a 14 day Panama Canal cruise last year, and it was extremely difficult to pack enough clothes for 2 weeks, yet keep our luggage below the airline weight limit.

I know I could have paid for someone to do my laundry while on board, but I think the prices are a rip off and I would rather pay that money towards a shore excursion than laundry.

I know this post is about laundry, not necessarily about dry cleaning, but we do think the dry cleaning fees are very reasonable. A couple of years ago I had my suit & tux dry cleaned at home before leaving. Once on board we noticed that the RCCL service was about half what we paid at home. This year I took the tux & suit "as is". We gave them to our cabin steward when unpacking and asked that the tux be ready by Monday afternoon for formal night. It was in the room by 5:00 (may have been there sooner, that is when we went to get dressed for late seating). They did a great job and the cost was low compared to local prices.

By the way, we are with the "Don't do laundry on vacation" crowd.

I have only sailed Carnival and Celebrity before and will be sailing RC for the first time. I did not realize they do not have self serve laundry facilities. Bummer. I do not "wish" to do laundry while cruising, but when you have a family of 4 it is sometimes necessary. What's the big deal - throw it in and go sit on your balcony....now that's the best view one can have while "working" :)

Yep. Exactly right. And worded properly too--typically it seems to be written people who "want to do laundry" on vacation. Um, nobody wants to do laundry. At least nobody I would consider sane. LOL.

I'm a 1 simply because we can pack less and we both have disabilities that make schlepping heavy stuff difficult--not to mention all the medical stuff we have to bring now that adds to the luggage burden. Plus, my DH does all the laundry the rest of the year--and he does a great job. Rarely do I sort, load, unload, or fold; it just magically gets cleaned and put in the closet. So, I figure I can give him a break when we travel--after all I'm not cooking (he does the dishes year-round out of enlightened self-interest: I cook, he cleans or no more cooking :D ) or doing any of my normal home stuff. So it really doesn't bother me to do a load or two on the road, and I can use our sensitive skin products as well.

beachchick

I question the sanity of anyone who would pay those prices.

I have an idea. How about at least make the facilities available for your guests to at least have the option to use it if they choose? I assure you they were certainly being used on my last cruise. I had to wait until after midnight to do my laundry. For those that choose not to use the facilities, you can pay the crazy prices for RCCL to do it for you. I personally would rather put that money towards my next cruise. Thank you very much.

While I usually pack MORE than I need, so doing actual "laundry" isn't necessary, I do think that RCI should consider having a "press room" with ironing boards and irons...after all my stuff has been packed, it usually ends up needing a quick press if only to get rid of packing creases...I just finished our packing for this week on the Jewel, and already have in mind what I'll need to have pressed when I unpack.

Archived