How does Oceania compare?

SusieV

I cruise both X and O and it all depends on timing and itinerary. We just spent close to a month on Insignia in S. America.

There was one young couple in their 30's and if it is a port intensive cruise you will be very busy most of the day. In July I would take the pool on O over X anytime. It will be rather sedate but nice cushions, towels, peaceful and much more elegant. I am not a fan of X pools.

Due to the timing (Summer) of the O cruise, I would anticipate younger people and also I just saw that O is offering children cruise for free on some of those NY cruises you were looking at.

The food is much better on O than X and the Terrace Cafe serves sushi, lobster, lamb chops, steak, shrimp in the evenings with white table cloths etc. You can also get surf and turf for lunch at the poolside grill.

Our 1st cruise on X was Summit to Bermuda in August and far too busy and noisy for us. We prefer the elegance of O. If you want constant music, better entertainment, more things to do on board, I would suggest you stick with X.

If you want a more refined experience then O would be wonderful. Specialities are free and main DR is very elegant too.

Drinks are expensive on O but you could get OBC to possibly offset the difference and they have a very reasonable happy hour each evening, also.

Hope I have helped and if all is equal, I would always choose O. But...you are younger ;-)

Having read an earlier post, is it true that specialty restaurants are booked by stateroom category rather than by reservation first come first served? That sounds to me that if I were to book a lower-end stateroom, I may never get to experience the specialty restaurants that are a perk of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having read an earlier post, is it true that specialty restaurants are booked by stateroom category rather than by reservation first come first served? That sounds to me that if I were to book a lower-end stateroom, I may never get to experience the specialty restaurants that are a perk of the cruise.

You would get your minimum allotment for sure.(usually one night in each specialty restaurant) Inside, ocean views and regular balconies are treated the same. It's the suites that would get more.

Edited by Cruise Junky

Yes, as the other poster stated, you will always get at least one in each restaurant. Top suites have priority when booking ahead online and are allowed extra nights but you would never know once outside of your cabin who is in what category stateroom.

We sailed concierge on O and did get to select our specialty restaurant reservations early and it was a good thing because the prime times booked quickly. On our 10 day sailing, we dined 5 nights in the specialty restaurants. The first night, the MDR was packed and the line was long. The Maitre d' asked us if we would like to dine in one of the specialty restaurants and we did. There is a desk in the lobby for reservations but that was useless. We just inquired if there were any openings that night from the Maitre d' and we were almost always accommodated. The key was being willing to sit with others which we prefer. But the filet and lobster in the Lido every night was fantastic.

The 2 times I was on the Riviera last year we always had the spec.dine.times we wanted. Once in reg. balcony and one in PH. The MDR was never busy and we never waited in line in any restaurant. It was a port intensive cruise and many ate in the Ocean Terrace every night.