Are You kidding ME?

Living the Dream

Princess will only refund military for getting called to active duty for a natural disaster. You will not get refunded for getting called to active duty to go to war. Also, insurance will only cover natural disasters as well (they do not cover war). If you are called to active duty for a natural disaster, Princess will require a copy of your orders.

T Bird, you are absolutely correct on this one. We learned this the hard way when my husband was activated in January 2003 and again in September 2004 when his orders were extended for the third time. While as a family member it makes not one hoots worth of difference for what mission he was away from home (natural disaster or act of war, which, ironically, Iraq is not either, as war hasn't officially been declared there), it apparently makes a great deal of difference to cruise lines and insurance companies.

It's interesting that your wife's company is advising people from the company to get together so they can be exempt from it. Unless the company plans the get together event, it'll be difficult to write it off. The IRS has gotten pretty tough in these areas. In any case, the spousal portion of the trip is always taxable as income. Maybe your wife's company can pay your wife's portion of your cruise.

Yeah, isn't that strange? We just booked a cruise a few months back for next March. I called and asked those specific questions before booking and was SO surprised with their answers. Anyways, fingers crossed that he does not get deployed and we are looking forward to our cruise!

T Bird, you are absolutely correct on this one. We learned this the hard way when my husband was activated in January 2003 and again in September 2004 when his orders were extended for the third time. While as a family member it makes not one hoots worth of difference for what mission he was away from home (natural disaster or act of war, which, ironically, Iraq is not either, as war hasn't officially been declared there), it apparently makes a great deal of difference to cruise lines and insurance companies.

About the OP's problem, does this company trip mandatory (as in do they expect workers to cancel any currently scheduled vacations to attend)? Does this involve any implied "if you want a chance to be promoted, you better attend"? Or is the trip just simply a reward? Just curious.

Archived