Vegan options on Oasis or RC in general?

First time cruising vegan and first RC cruise. How accommodating are they? Are there many food options? And is it easy to find? I have only even cruise vegetarian. Do I need to put vegan on my booking? Doing it through a TA. Is there soy or coconut milk available to use for coffee or should I bring some? So many questions. Thanks

Oasis has had a lot of vegetarian options when we've sailed her. There is soy milk available. There were vegetarian options at the main dining room at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Solarium cafe for breakfast and lunch had a much larger selection of vegetarian dishes. We only ate in windjammer once, there were several vegetarian main entrees there at that time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

I've not sailed on that particular RC ship as vegan but others, yes. I always notify RC of my vegan dietary need. Soy milk is offered, you just need to request it from staff. I discovered that on my sailings the cinnamon swirls served in Windjammer were 'accidentally' vegan so great for breakfast & coffee.

RC does not have a vegan menu onboard, they do adapt existing veggie options or create new dishes if nothing on the main dining room menu is vegan. Each night we would go over the following night's menu with our server (senior/manager) to see if anything on it could be adapted. Or they'd prepare something new..

In the Windjammer I would speak to staff (manager) to see if veggie dishes were vegan (pasta/noodles) and often would use the stations where you build your own dish and they cook it in front of you.

There won't be cakes, cookies, ice cream etc so take some sweee treats with you in your suitcase. If your cabin has a fridge you could smuggle in some vegan cheese or spread, as no vegan alternatives are offered. They have sorbet, but no soy or almond ice cream. Shop onboard usually sell milk chocolate too so if you have sweet tooth -bring your own.

I have a blog and Insta about cruising & travelling vegan and there are some RC photos on IG but haven't blogged about food - prob should ;)

Ps. The only cruise line I know that has a vegan menu onboard is Italian Costa (a Carnival company)

Vegancruiser.co.uk

We cruised twice with RCCL as vegans. Both cruises we brought a small collapsible cooler with us. We kept vegan sour cream, salad dressing and butter on ice throughout the cruise. The first cruise we had a great waiter. Although he did not really know about a vegan diet, he always checked on things for us. He even brought us the ingredient list cut off a box of pasta and something else so we could tell him if something was vegan. We ate a lot of steamed veggies, baked potatoes, salad and pasta. Our second cruise was exceptional. I would not plan on having a cruise like this one. It was on the Explorer. The headwaiter knew all about a vegan diet. He said that about a year before we cruised he had a vegan VIP and learned about the diet. We ate like royalty. Every night he brought out a vegan Indian dish and also a vegan "American" meal. We had delicious vegan vegetable soup (I liked it so much I had it on day 2 and the chef made it again for me on day 6). We were also brought vegan veggie burger on a vegan gluten free bun (the bun was not very good), a variety of veggie wraps, and a delicious veggie quesadilla etc. The waiters really went out of their way to check ingredients and show them to us as I was not confident in the translation that I trusted someone else telling me it was vegan. I really think it is luck of the draw on if you get good food or not. We lucked out with people really willing to go out of their way to help us. Bringing a few vegan snacks and candy as well as the cooler really improves the options.

Hi,

I've not sailed on that particular RC ship as vegan but others, yes. I always notify RC of my vegan dietary need. Soy milk is offered, you just need to request it from staff. I discovered that on my sailings the cinnamon swirls served in Windjammer were 'accidentally' vegan so great for breakfast & coffee.

RC does not have a vegan menu onboard, they do adapt existing veggie options or create new dishes if nothing on the main dining room menu is vegan. Each night we would go over the following night's menu with our server (senior/manager) to see if anything on it could be adapted. Or they'd prepare something new..

In the Windjammer I would speak to staff (manager) to see if veggie dishes were vegan (pasta/noodles) and often would use the stations where you build your own dish and they cook it in front of you.

There won't be cakes, cookies, ice cream etc so take some sweee treats with you in your suitcase. If your cabin has a fridge you could smuggle in some vegan cheese or spread, as no vegan alternatives are offered. They have sorbet, but no soy or almond ice cream. Shop onboard usually sell milk chocolate too so if you have sweet tooth -bring your own.

I have a blog and Insta about cruising & travelling vegan and there are some RC photos on IG but haven't blogged about food - prob should ;)

Ps. The only cruise line I know that has a vegan menu onboard is Italian Costa (a Carnival company)

Vegancruiser.co.uk

So the cinnamon swirl is it like cinnamon bun? Thanks for all the information. I was hoping the Ben and Jerrys would have had a vegan option but oh well.

We cruised twice with RCCL as vegans. Both cruises we brought a small collapsible cooler with us. We kept vegan sour cream, salad dressing and butter on ice throughout the cruise. The first cruise we had a great waiter. Although he did not really know about a vegan diet, he always checked on things for us. He even brought us the ingredient list cut off a box of pasta and something else so we could tell him if something was vegan. We ate a lot of steamed veggies, baked potatoes, salad and pasta. Our second cruise was exceptional. I would not plan on having a cruise like this one. It was on the Explorer. The headwaiter knew all about a vegan diet. He said that about a year before we cruised he had a vegan VIP and learned about the diet. We ate like royalty. Every night he brought out a vegan Indian dish and also a vegan "American" meal. We had delicious vegan vegetable soup (I liked it so much I had it on day 2 and the chef made it again for me on day 6). We were also brought vegan veggie burger on a vegan gluten free bun (the bun was not very good), a variety of veggie wraps, and a delicious veggie quesadilla etc. The waiters really went out of their way to check ingredients and show them to us as I was not confident in the translation that I trusted someone else telling me it was vegan. I really think it is luck of the draw on if you get good food or not. We lucked out with people really willing to go out of their way to help us. Bringing a few vegan snacks and candy as well as the cooler really improves the options.

Thanks for all the information and your experiences. I will pack a few things. Do you know if the pizza place has vegan crust or not? I would love to have a cheeseless pizza while on there. I put vegan on my reservation. Not sure if it will help but I figure the more people put it maybe they will start to offer more.

• 6 months later...
So no vegan options? Just vegetarian? I am sure the vegetarian options are not vegan friendly.
They ration enough prime rib for everyone.. If we ever sail together I'll make you a deal... Trade you my veggies for your prime rib?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Experiences reported by vegan cruisers here on CC seem to be fairly positive. You can probably find some using a search. In any case, make sure your TA puts your dietary requirements into your reservation. Just to be sure, after you board go down to the dining room to make sure they have it in your requirements as well.

We cruised on Navigator 2 years ago and had a similar experience to what eeyore81 had on Explorer. The headwaiter came over each night in the MDR and went over the next night's menu with us. They always gave us a huge bowl of steamed veggies on the side as well! We had more food than we could finish most nights. Some nights we had a version of something on the regular menu and a few nights we had Indian dishes (which were delicious!). We cruised on Carnival last year and our experience was definitely different. We are back on Navigator in January and looking forward to eating something aside from salad and potatoes!