Aix-en-Provence on a Sunday?

#eurovirgin

We will dock in Marseille on a Sunday. I had planned for us to go to Aix-en-Provence, but I'm worried that most things will be closed. This is a real bummer because both of our French stops are on bad days (Sunday and Monday). Would it be better to go to Cassis and just do the hikes to the calanques instead?

You are right to be concerned, because a majority of the shops/boutiques in Aix (and elsewhere) will be closed on Sunday. But there are still some things open. The place to be on Sunday morning is L'Isle sur la Sorque...where they have one of the best outdoor markets in France...outside of Paris. But getting there from Marseille can only be done with a rental car or a private tour.

Another place that is OK on Sunday would be Les Baux...where a majority (not all) shops are open...since this is a tourist town that receives many Sunday visitors.

Hiking is always a good thing..and certainly fine on Sundays.

Many cruisers never think about "days of the week" when they book cruises. But it is an issue in much of Europe where Sundays (and Mondays in Italy) may find a lot of closures.

Hank

I'm starting to think about renting a car at the terminal (seems cheap) and going to Isle-sur-la-sorgue and Gordes instead. How manageable is driving in Provence?

Driving in Provence is very manageable. especially once you get out of Marseille. But there are a few issues to consider. Getting a rental car on a Sunday can be a challenge in France...as the French hate to work on Sundays and their labor laws make it difficult for many places to open on Sundays. Accordingly, many rental car offices are closed on Sunday. Another issue is that a majority of rental cars are manual shift (stick shift) which is a problem for many folks from North America.

Otherwise, your idea is terrific. Keep in mind that the market at L'Isle sur la Sorgue starts to shut down around noon. So ideally you want to be on your way as early as possible. And you must also pray for decent weather as most of the market is outdoors.

Also add Fontaine de Vaucluse as a possible driving destination for a nice Sunday. Provence if full of wonderful places...few of which are ever seen by those who rely on cruise ship excursions.

Hank

We were offered two options : Provence countryside and Avignon and Arles. We opted for Avignon, we started the day seeing the historical centre of the city and the Palace of the Popes. We did the full 1h30 tour. The rest of the time we spent in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence which is Van Gogh live. Our driver guide (I can't remember her name - I'll have to ask my travel agent who arranged it for us ) is a local and knows the area very well.