Anan and Traitors Cove

kalliyan1

What is the biggest difference between these for those who have been? I guess the question that I'm wondering is why does Anan seem to be the favorite?

I know that at Anan you can see both brown and black bears, and peak times need to be considered, but other than that, is the "viewing experience" the same?

Are you limited on the viewing platforms at either? Is Anan less crowded because of the limited number of permits?

I'm looking for the first week of August.

Are you booking privately? Have you asked the outfitter? I imagine that they could explain...

I googled & saw lots of photos of both.

yes booking privately. I've seen the photos and like I had mentioned, the only real difference I can see is at Anan you see both black and brown. No where have I seen about the actual viewing experience, meaning, do you stand on a platform at both places, is your time limited, etc.

Anan has 2 viewing areas. There is an upper viewing area w a platform. That one is never crowded. There is another below the upper one and right at river level. They allow 2 people at a time on that one so your time there will be slightly limited. Everyone gets a turn but you can not spend all your time down there.

DON

In photographs, I saw a fish ladder (appears artificial) at traitors cove. That may matter to some people.

I have not been to traitors cove, I have only viewed photographs. I may be 100% wrong.

Edited by TheCalicoCat

We have been to Anan twice with Island Wings as the vendor. The link below contains some of the pictures we took from the viewing platform and the blind below the viewing platform. You can also see how close the bears came to the viewing platform and where they appeared on the pathway we took to get back to our float plane. We had a wonderful time --- happy bear viewing.

https://millenniumalaska2015.shutterfly.com/pictures/292

We have been to Anan twice with Island Wings as the vendor. The link below contains some of the pictures we took from the viewing platform and the blind below the viewing platform. You can also see how close the bears came to the viewing platform and where they appeared on the pathway we took to get back to our float plane. We had a wonderful time --- happy bear viewing.

https://millenniumalaska2015.shutterfly.com/pictures/292

Thanks for the link to the Anan pictures. I booked with Island wings yesterday!

I also looked at your other Alaska pictures and your whale trip out of Juneau looks to have been a VERY active trip. Great pictures. When did you go?

Thanks for the link to the Anan pictures. I booked with Island wings yesterday!

I also looked at your other Alaska pictures and your whale trip out of Juneau looks to have been a VERY active trip. Great pictures. When did you go?

You're welcome. Glad you were able to get reservations with Island Wings --- Michelle and company do a great job -- I'm sure you'll have a great time.

As for the Juneau pictures, if you are talking about the ones where there was breaching, bubble net feeding and lots of whales, then that was during our June 19-July 3, 2015 trip. The fact that we were able to see all of these events in one trip was a special gift. When we go whale watching we normally expect to see tails and blows --- anything else is a real treat.