St. Thomas - what's within walking distance?

Sun Lover

When we were there 10 years ago, there wasn't a darn thing around there. We had to walk all the way back from black beard's castle on a hot, muggy day. Hopefully it's better now. We'll be there again in a couple weeks, but we're at the other terminal.

We'll be on Allure in February docking at Crown Bay. What is within reasonable walking distance from there, i.e., shopping, restaurants, beaches, sightseeing, etc?

You can take the shuttle ($) from the pier into town...much quicker and easier than walking.

There are shops at Crown Bay - not as many as Havensight but probably good enough for basic shopping.

There is also a restaurant with local food - Island Flavor.

Across the street at the yacht marina is Tickles Restaurant. Serves mostly American food.

Piggybacking on this thread. I'll be on the Escape next week docking at Havensight. I assume that the Havensight Mall area is walkable from there, but anything else I should check out if I've got some extra time?

It all depends on what you like to do and when you're visiting. During season some really cool boats are in the marinas and the harbor and it's fun (for me) to google the names to learn more about them and get to see the interiors of some of them. You'd have to go to Yacht Haven Grande to see most of them but some are docked at Havensight, Crown Bay, or in the harbor. You're not supposed to take photos of the boats, though.

Paradise Point tram is at Havensight. If you have kids they will probably like the Butterfly Garden.

If you're a partier you might like Senor Frogs.

Are there shuttles just waiting there when you get off the ship? Do they go to Havensight?

Yes...just lined up (safari type)...For an extra fee you can go to Havensight as these usually are just taking cruiser's from Crown Bay into town....Just be aware since you're docking at CB if there isn't another ship docking that day at Havensight many of the shops there will not be open...personal experience ;)

Piggybacking on this thread. I'll be on the Escape next week docking at Havensight. I assume that the Havensight Mall area is walkable from there, but anything else I should check out if I've got some extra time?

Docking at Havensight is our preferred dock over Crown Bay...very sad that RCI is only using CB now.

I like seeing the iguanas at Crown Bay (you don't see any at Havensight) and Crown Bay is breezier than Havensight. Having 2 docks gives you an opportunity to see other parts of the island that few visitors saw until Crown Bay opened.

Yes...just lined up (safari type)...For an extra fee you can go to Havensight as these usually are just taking cruiser's from Crown Bay into town....Just be aware since you're docking at CB if there isn't another ship docking that day at Havensight many of the shops there will not be open...personal experience ;)

Is Charlotte Amalie a bigger area than Havensight as far as restaurants and shops?

I can't see a reason to take a cab from Crown Bay to Havensight. The Crown Bay area has grown a lot over the past few years. They have quite a few shops now and entertainment. They also had some local vendors set up selling food items when I was there in December.

As far as a close beach - Emerald Beach. Some people just walk there. The shared taxi fare is pretty low. You can rent chairs and umbrellas.

Downtown is the area to go for shopping / flea market stuff / restuarants

Although there are some great reviews on this site, I would suggest searching "mitsugirly". She was just there a month ago and her family seem to be people who really go local. I found her to be very inspiring to try new things.

• 2 weeks later...

How about things being open on Sundays?