It was 30 years ago TODAY

flagger

Big Fitz...what a sad story...the Captain we had dinner with on Galaxy said he had sailed in the worst the Altantic could muster AND Lake Superior...he said he'd take his chances with the Atlantic, anytime!!!

The wreck is still is a mystery, but it was the worst day in recorded history for the weather. Winds on that day were 90+ mph on the lake, the seas were as high as anyone could remember. The Great Lakes, especially Michigan and Superior are known to be the most difficult waters for any ship. It would be great if someday the ship could be salvaged and raised off the bottom of the lake---then maybe some questions could be answered. I've lived near the Great Lakes for most of my life, and they are even more scary than Drake's Passage, at times.

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down

Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee

Superior, they say, never gives up her dead

When the gales of November come early.

Is anyone old enough to remember?

Unfortunately - Heck I remember the Andrea Doria sinking

Danno, you definitely have a point there. It would be like trying to raise the USS Arizona from Pearl Harbor. There have been some locals here in the area that took the case to court to try and salvage the Fitzgerald. Luckily, they lost, but they will still try and scavenger the ship.

Archived