Regent V Silversea and Seabourn

fudge

Well thats it booked, looking forward very much to our first Regent cruise.

Our TA has asked if we would consider an upgrade should one become available? On other cruise lines there have been varied opinions on this offer, surely an upgrade is what it means, or does it? :confused:

Hi again congratulations on booking your first Regent cruise!:D

Regent "upgrades" are really upsells (unless you book a "guarantee" suite which I would not recommend doing on the Voyager). When you book a suite (generally PH and below) and that category of suite fills up, there are times when there is demand for it. At those times, TA's are contacted who in turn contact their clients and offer an upsell (generally about half of what you would have paid for the level(s) they are offering).

Decisions need to made quickly and paid for immediately. We have taken advantage of some amazing upsells over the years. There are certain areas of the Voyager that I would not recommend - any suite aft or suites on deck 10 (under the pool deck - can be very noisy - we made that mistake with our first upsell).

Hope that this explanation makes sense.

Thanks guys that helps a lot.

At present we have booked suite 940 (middle of deck) I would not like it if we were offered a suite not to our liking. Our TA paints it as if its a complimentary upgrade to a superior suite.

Can we get back on topic? Regent VS Silversea, Seabourn is the thread topic and was very interesting until it was comandered.

This could not be more on topic. The OP (a Seabourn customer) asked questions - received answers - asked more questions and made a decision. IMO, this was a successful thread (and would have been even if the OP selected a different cruise line).

Edited by Travelcat2

Hey there, we are looking at a 20 day voyage on the Regent Navigator. As this will be our first cruise in that class of travel I am not sure if this is the right ship to do it on. If anyone has cruised on the 'Navigator' would you kindly asses it's relative value to others in the Regent fleet or say Crystal-which we love.

Thank you.

Brian

Brian, welcome to the Regent board!

IMO, although we have not sailed on Crystal we have sailed on all Regent ships multiple times, the Navigator is not the right choice for you. Firstly, she is too small and does not have sufficient public spaces (again, comparing this to other Regent ships and the size of Crystal ships). She does not handle the seas as well as other ships (check out the posts on the current World Cruise to verify this). The Navigator only has one specialty restaurant while Regent's newest ship, the Explorer, has three and the other two ships have two.

The suite size on the Navigator is larger than on Crystal. I cannot compare service, food or ambience on anything other than Regent and that tends to be the same across the fleet. The Explorer is the most beautiful, has lovely public areas and has the most comfortable suites (in the opinion of those that have actually sailed on her). In order of our preference, we like the Explorer, Voyager, Mariner and then Navigator.

In no way am I saying that the Navigator is a horrible ship. She is lovely but, IMO, cannot compare to the rest of Regent's fleet. Hopefully you will hear from posters that love the Navigator.

Edited by Travelcat2

Hey there, we are looking at a 20 day voyage on the Regent Navigator. As this will be our first cruise in that class of travel I am not sure if this is the right ship to do it on. If anyone has cruised on the 'Navigator' would you kindly asses it's relative value to others in the Regent fleet or say Crystal-which we love.

Thank you.

Brian

My DH and I have only sailed on the Mariner and the Navigator. We in the minority in prefer the Navigator. We like the larger suites in the lower graded suites (think D-F ish). Oddly for introverts, we find the Mariner to have TOO MUCH public space in that the ship always feels empty and quite. There is a better vibe on the Navigator. I have not experience on the other two lines.

Hi again congratulations on booking your first Regent cruise!:D

Regent "upgrades" are really upsells (unless you book a "guarantee" suite which I would not recommend doing on the Voyager). When you book a suite (generally PH and below) and that category of suite fills up, there are times when there is demand for it. At those times, TA's are contacted who in turn contact their clients and offer an upsell (generally about half of what you would have paid for the level(s) they are offering).

Decisions need to made quickly and paid for immediately. We have taken advantage of some amazing upsells over the years. There are certain areas of the Voyager that I would not recommend - any suite aft or suites on deck 10 (under the pool deck - can be very noisy - we made that mistake with our first upsell).

Hope that this explanation makes sense.

TravelCat

Thanks again, really looking forward to this cruise very excited indeed.

Now then food!! Close to both our hearts, do you have a favourite place to eat?

Just checked out the menus in the eateries they look delicious, almost spoiled for choice.