Le Havre to Paris

kjenaz

We are on the TA arriving in La Havre on May 11th. We have investigated options, but have decided to go to Paris and return to the ship before departure to London. We are thinking about the Train to Paris and a taxi/driver back to the Port. Has anyone else done that?

Please do not reply with what a bad idea it is to do it in one day. I have read the posts on that and I am looking for those that have done it by train, driver, tour, etc.

Time wise it is about the same whether you drive or take the train....except that driving does subject you to the possibility of traffic. If you want to hire a taxi you are looking at hundreds of Euros (one way) as its about 200 Kilometers (120 miles) or more (depending where you go in Paris. The journey can be done in one day, but your time in Paris is very limited depending on when you have to be back at the ship. Another option is to simply arrange to disembark at Le Havre (we have done this several times) and then stay in Paris.

The first time DW and I were in Le Havre, we did the usual one day tour of Paris. On many subsequent visits to Le Havre (on cruise ships) we have never repeated that trek. Paris is DW's favorite city and its a place we want to spend at least a week...not 4-6 hours.

Hank

• 1 year later...
Time wise it is about the same whether you drive or take the train....except that driving does subject you to the possibility of traffic. If you want to hire a taxi you are looking at hundreds of Euros (one way) as its about 200 Kilometers (120 miles) or more (depending where you go in Paris. The journey can be done in one day, but your time in Paris is very limited depending on when you have to be back at the ship. Another option is to simply arrange to disembark at Le Havre (we have done this several times) and then stay in Paris.

The first time DW and I were in Le Havre, we did the usual one day tour of Paris. On many subsequent visits to Le Havre (on cruise ships) we have never repeated that trek. Paris is DW's favorite city and its a place we want to spend at least a week...not 4-6 hours.

Hank

Hi Hank, I had no idea you could disembark in Le Havre and not go on to Southampton. Knowing this, I may be able to change some plans. We depart on Le Havre on April 12, 2019 for Southampton. We are to disembark the Celebrity Edge on April 13, and go straight to embark on the P&O Aurora. My question is, if we disembark in Le Havre and stay a couple of days in Paris, can we take our luggage on the train to Paris and again to Southampton, or would we have to take a bus? Thank you again for any info you can share with me.

Sandra