Viator vs Celebrity Pompeii excursions

emilyalice

We have used Viator all over Europe and have not had any problems. That is not to say problems can't occur. They do and can with all companies. And yes sometimes there can be no remedy to a problem even with ship's tours.

Many of the local tour companies you can find on your own, use Viator for bookings. It is just a booking agency. Prices are most often less than a ship's cruise and I've never been on a tour that used a 50 passenger bus.

Remember, when you get your confirmation voucher read every word. Some tour companies want you to contact them for exact times and locations, some just want a personal confirmation from you. Most won't need anything, but when traveling always triple check and do it again.

Your confirmation voucher from Viator will usually name the company conducting the tour.

Chers,

Rod

Yes, and it makes more sense to go directly to those local tour companies which are easy to find than book with Viator. You can read the reviews on the company actually giving the tour. With Viator you don't know which company they will contract you out to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True, but there are times when the local tour companies require you have a group, which some people don't want to organize.

We used Viator quite a bit in Asia when my research could not come up with a tour firm. Also, while I usually organize my own tours on the cc roll calls, some cruises that just doesn't work out or the tour company requires the tour organizer to pay for all the group in cash in the local currency.

In some cases, I have found the tour companies that Viator uses and believe it or not the local company price was no different from the Viator price.

Viator is not always the solution, but in some cases, it does.

True, but there are times when the local tour companies require you have a group, which some people don't want to organize.

We used Viator quite a bit in Asia when my research could not come up with a tour firm. Also, while I usually organize my own tours on the cc roll calls, some cruises that just doesn't work out or the tour company requires the tour organizer to pay for all the group in cash in the local currency.

In some cases, I have found the tour companies that Viator uses and believe it or not the local company price was no different from the Viator price.

Viator is not always the solution, but in some cases, it does.

I don't disagree with you that Viator could be the solution in some cases. Also while I try to avoid them the cruise line excursions are also sometimes the the solution.

This particular port and tour, Naples and tours of Pompeii, is particularly easy to do directly with a tour company or even DIY. Several of the companies will put the group together if none wants to organize a group. I traveled there twice as a solo traveler and managed to tour with local companies with six or so people. Once someone on the roll call organized the group and took the names, the other time a roll call member initiated the booking (with APTOURS) but all the participants signed up individually with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk