Is this cruise line for us?

notuzin

My wife and I are considering a cruise on this cruise line. We have cruised about five times,(four times for the wife, five for myself). Our cruise experience has been on Norwegian, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

We have enjoyed our vacations and,for the most part, the people we have met. I realize that these cruise lines offer a different cruise experience than SeaDream.

I have an image of the type of person or people that frequent a cruise line like SeaDream. The website even speaks of a "typical" passenger profile. My concern is that we may not fit that profile. I am not a doctor, lawyer or CEO of a large firm and I don't think my occupation should dictate how or where I travel. We are a nice, average fun to be with couple in our 50th year of life. I would not like to be on a ship for seven days surrounded by image obsessed stuffed shirts that I don't enjoy speaking with or don't enjoy speaking with me.

My wife feels that am reading too much into this "passenger profile" thing, but I find cruising more fun if you enjoy some of your table mates and fellow passengers.

Am I making too much of this? Do you think my concerns are valid? Please, feel free to respond. Thanks.

Notuzin ... I agree with your wife that you are reading too much into the profile. DH and I are currently on our second SD cruise, the first being last year.

We are in our early 40s ... not a CEO, lawyer or doctor. As a matter of fact, we have found on both cruises that passengers don't talk about money or what they do for a living ... unless asked ... and they tend to be very low key about it.

We have met wonderful people from around the world.

We to have sailed the big lines ... and we prefer SD when it is just a DH and me vacation.

I am sure others will weigh in!

Notuzin . . . I don't think that there is a typical profile. FT and I have two SD's in the Caribbean (a third planned for this coming spring) and she has just completed the Atlantic crossing. (She has already booked next falls crossing.)

We are in your age bracket, we luv to spend our time on a beach snorkeling, or exploring small islands, though I admit that i prefer the exploring while FT could spend the entire trip sitting by a pool or on a beach reading and sipping champagne.

Doctors, lawyers who cares. What you will find is that most of them, if they are there want to be away from work and have no desire whatsoever to even mention work. You would never know what anyone does to be able to be able to be on SD.

I suggest reading some of the other posts. I think that you will fit in great and will end up with your best vacation ever.

By the way the longest line you will find on SD might be the officer who puts the dollop of hand sanitizer in your palm as you return from a shore excursion, all of 30 seconds at most.

200604091400_2.gif

***** - Vacations, Resorts, Travel

The people we have found on this cruise line were all successful...not in a material sense but had achieved success in looking to find experiences that were unique and meant something to them as a person, family or a couple...as with any gathering of 100 people you are going to find one or two that you may not enjoy, but I think you will find most have a love of the spirit of travel and discovery in common and could care less about social status or occupation....the most endearing people we met on all of these cruises have been people that came from modest upbringings who had achieved some personal goal and were enjoying celebrating that achievement by indulging themselves with the experience that is Sea Dream

This is just what I did as well experience on the cruises I have done on SD (and also on Seabourn). Once we went with some friends, and they found out later that we had been partying for a week with a Lord. We have now booked our first SD cruise since 2002 and are hoping it is as laidback as it was then.

I can tell you from my last 3 voyages on SeaDream that I never met the type of guests that you should be worried about....

The typical fellow passengers that were on board were more of the type that have been sucessful in their occupations and enjoyed people from all walks of life. One night at dinner my wife and I were joined by a wonderful couple who lived in Norway and they were just delightful....Later I found out that they were the owners of the ship....Keep in mind ...You can't judge a book by its cover....

What a great mix of people...The one word of advice is that if you want everyone to be like yourself, than Stay Home...Otherwise it is a wonderful and relaxing experience on those SeaDream yachts...

After many years of cruising the world, they have become my favorites...

LUX:)

Having spent twelve days with 90 other passengers on the Atlantic crossing of Sea Dream II, I can honestly tell you I have no clue what the majority of the the other passengers do or did for a living or their financial worth (or in my case, lack thereof). Usually we only learned about another passenger's life outside Sea Dream, when we asked or a funny anecdote was told. Of course there is an exception to every rule and sometimes you do get an obnoxious cruise mate . . . but there is plenty of room on the ship . . .

I can't think of a reason why I would ever sail another line, so please have fun.

FT

don't get all riled up about the other people

chances are you won't spend that much time with them anyway

what no one has said is that you are more likely to encounter several large groups travelling together, families with teenage children who are taking up large portions of the dining room and bar and people who actually prefer being alone some of the time

we were hoping for the relaxed social atmosphere of meeting new people and enjoying the company of others while on board and found most of the other passengers to fit the above categories. we have always loved seabourn and were disappointed with the lack of socializing on seadream. we did meet nice people and enjoy dinner with others several nights

don't be concerned about your profession or financial status if you are appropriately dressed and have table manners, no one needs to know your business unless you tell them. money doesn't buy class

Yes, trust me. If you are hip enough to know about SeaDream, adventurous enough to try it and can afford to cruise it... you will fit in.

I cannot think of a more romantic wedding/honeymoon celebration than with SeaDream. Everyone just "clicks". It is an unspoken "respect". (for lack of a better term. We didn't ask, or get asked, our occupations/personal lives except with passengers we solidly connected with.

We're in our 40's and love this cruise line. We are looking forward to another sailing in two weeks.

Take a breath. You've made a great choice.

Lisa

And how might the SeaDream experience be for an affable, sociable and open minded 50 year old single person who does not drink alcohol? The reviews I've been reading seem to very frequently mention free flowing alcohol - almost to the extent that it seems like "partying" is significant focus of the socializing on these ships. I'm not a naysaying teetotaler and am very comfortable around social drinking (most of my friends drink). Just curious - perhaps it was just a fluke that the reviews I read came off this way?

I think you would be quite comfortable on SD Phaelon.

As with any cruise, there are folks who drink and those who don't. As a couple of us were saying two weeks ago when we were on board SD 2 everyone is responsbile for their own consumption and control.

As a matter of fact on our last cruise there were several us who choice not to join the group at the pool who were partying quite hard after the champagne and caviar splash. We joked back and forth but there was no real pressure to join in.

Phaelon

Alcohol is not at all the focus of Sea Dream, and you would feel very comfortable indeed. Perhaps all of the comments that you have been reading about free-flowinng champagne have been written by only a few individuals, for whom it is an important aspect of the cruise. (absolutely no comment being made here about those of you who enjoy the bottomless champagne flute)

For other passengers, there is some other indulgence that makes Sea Dream special. Personally, my many hours laying on the Sun Beds looking out at the ocean is worth the entire voyage.

The fact that you don't pay for drinks aboard does not make Sea Dream a party boat by any means.

There is something about the size of the ship that causes the passengers to be very respectful of each others space.

As one of those who love the never empty glass of champagne, the difference between Sea Dream and many other lines is the "no check, no signing" truly-all inclusive facet.

Many was the time I started out with sparkling water and did not have alcohol until "happy hour" -- just too much to do. What I find really interesting is that the staff seemed to do a good job of helping people pace themselves. With the exception of a couple of folks on one cruise, I've never witnessed an obviously blotto person (my husband is banned from talking about me on line) and there is certainly no pressure to drink.

As others have noted, there are so much space designed for privacy, that you will be be able to create the atmosphere you choose -- partying or solitu

de or any combination.

Hope you choose SeaDream. You won't regreat.

FT

Just like to say thanks to you all. Have been following the post on here for a while as myself and wife have had the same concern. I am a mature student preparing to change career and planning to cruise either the SD1 / 2 as a graduation present and thank you to my long suffering wife.

Cant wait to become a Sea Dreamer!

stormy, just go and have fun. your wife will love you for it. im in my 30's and i really enjoyed myself. sure there are some stuffy types, but you will find them on any cruise. 99% of the people couldn't have been nicer, and we had an absolutely fabulous time.

besides there is much to do (if you so choose) and everyone respects each other's space.

Archived