Tendered Port - Bora Bora - time off ship

Sand$!

My Sailing on Radiance OTS has an itinerary with us in Bora Bora; French Polynesia at 8.00 am. 27th September 2017

I am trying to arrange a private tour and the operator is telling me that he has others booked on starting at 8.15 am.

This is only my second cruise so I have no status to be able to try and get a pass for an early tender.

Would you agree it is not sensible for me to book this tour. I thought I would be able to make possibly a 9.30 am start to be on the safe side.

Any opinions?

If the operator is taking people from your ship at 8:15, then you should be able to be in that group. Realistically, the operator is going to get his customers when they get to shore - if ship is late they will all be late. If other ships are in port or the other customers are from resorts they might not wait for you.

Cruise line tours and suites generally get the early tenders, but if you get down to the place they distribute tickets early you shouldn't have a problem getting on one of the first few. Tickets are first-come, first-served for other groups.

Really depends on if they are using shore-based tenders or ship tenders and how many they are operating how fast they catch up with demand, but getting down there early before they start handing out tickets gets you off as early as possible.

We have been on ROTS last September on the Honolulu-Sydney route.

Scheduled tender start was at 8:00, but they actually started at 7:30 (other ports not earlier than scheduled).

Their own tours always have priority and for the remaining people, they are giving out tickets at the Forum bar starting from 8:00 usually.

I wouldn't rely on that they tender earlier than scheduled - so just for playing safe, I'd tell the tour operator that yopu are leaving the ship earliest and will be there latest at around 9:15.

Everything else would be uncertain.

Have a great time at Bora Bora - ouir personal highlight of the trip and you may want to consider renting a private boat (no license needed) at La Plaage. The freedom to throw anchor where we wanted and have the lagoon for ourselfs (and not together with a group of 50 others) was priceless!

Edited by Yoshikitty

You might want to go to your roll call and see if the other people taking the tour are on there and chat with them. Chances are you can meet them in the bar before getting off the ship and all go at the same time.

I have been on lots of independent tours and the tour operators won't leave if they know they have paying customers just trying to get to shore. It should all work out fine. :D