Cell reception on ship in port at FLL

PacaCruiser

Ok, this is probably a weird question. But we depart on a cruise from FLL (Regal Princess) on Feb 12, 2017.

The day of departure I am required to access a website for my work and book a hotel for a conference. The conference is large, so we are assigned a day in which we can access the booking page in order to get the rooms. Although several of us are going, I'm the only one authorized to use the credit card to actually book the room.

Is there adequate cell/data reception on the boat while in port at FLL to do this? It appears the boat sails at 4pm, and my window to access the website in order to get a room guaranteed in the block is between noon and 3. I know the ship has a computer lounge as well, but I assume that might be crowded or inaccessible prior to actually setting sail (not to mention i'd rather not incur internet charges if I can use my phone at that time).

Any feedback is appreciated. Many thanks!

Chris "PacaCruiser"

Awesome, thank you! I've never cruised, and from pictures I've seen I can't always tell how far out the ships are and whether it would have adequate reception.

Its the last thing you want to have to worry about on the first day of your first cruise, but ironic how things often line up like this. :)

I've actually been on my cell phone, during sail away from FLL, and still using the local cell towers...not the ship's cell service.

You might want to consider if purchasing a small internet package is needed, based on the time you need to do your work booking. Then you could use a tablet or the ship's internet café; but keep in mind, connections can be slow. However, if you are doing your work booking in advance of sail away, I'd just do it on my phone, as you have already planned. Enjoy your cruise...we disembark Regal while you are getting on!

Ok, this is probably a weird question. But we depart on a cruise from FLL (Regal Princess) on Feb 12, 2017.

The day of departure I am required to access a website for my work and book a hotel for a conference. The conference is large, so we are assigned a day in which we can access the booking page in order to get the rooms. Although several of us are going, I'm the only one authorized to use the credit card to actually book the room.

Is there adequate cell/data reception on the boat while in port at FLL to do this? It appears the boat sails at 4pm, and my window to access the website in order to get a room guaranteed in the block is between noon and 3. I know the ship has a computer lounge as well, but I assume that might be crowded or inaccessible prior to actually setting sail (not to mention i'd rather not incur internet charges if I can use my phone at that time).

Any feedback is appreciated. Many thanks!

Chris "PacaCruiser"

Cell phone reception works just fine in port. Once the ship gets about 3 miles away from land, the ships cell service kicks in at $3/minute. Every cruise line sells Internet packages for your own device so you may want to look into doing that

I've always been able to use my cell phone with my own carrier while docked at Pt. Everglades. When the ship is in port it switches over to landside power and communications, so you're not using the maritime satellite system.

Roz