Gibraltar excursion to Marbella

I have just seen that on Princess cruises, one of the Excursions on offer, is a trip to Marbella and Puerto Banus. Has anyone done this excursion? If so, was it worthwhile? Does anyone know if this would be a long travel time? Thanks, pj

Hi PJ,

I know the area quite well, but have never done a similar bus excursion.

The travel time from the ship to the Spanish border is only about ten minutes, and from there to Marbella, on the Costa del Sol, is only about an hour by bus.

The road is fast, but bland. You'll see little of the countryside.

I don't know how Princess will handle the border, your bus may be fast-tracked past the often-long line of vehicles or you may be taken to the border by bus, cross the border on foot (very quick and easy), and join your tour bus on the Spanish side. I have absolutely no doubt that Princess' shore agents know their stuff and it won't be a problem, whichever way they handle it.

As to whether the excursion is worthwhile ...........

Marbella was the place for the "beautiful people", the rich European jet-setters, in the early days of jet travel - vaguely around the 1960's.

It's very different now. Still a fairly up-market resort, where locals and ex-pats walk their dogs during the day and promenade / people-watch in the evenings, along the seafront. But not at all "exclusive". And although there are a few attractive and unspoilt squares, much of the town is modern apartments and tourist-tat shops.

In this respect I guess it's very similar to the way that the cruising industry has gone.

Puerto Banus is a marina on the edge of Marbella. Full of expensive gin-palace boats and lined with shops / bars / cafes under apartment blocks. But don't think "Monte Carlo" - it's not a beautiful marina, way too much bland concrete and bland shops / apartments.

You might get the impression that I don't like the place :D, but each to their own.

One thing's for sure - this isn't "Spain". Like the rest of the Costa del Sol (and most other Costas) it's Europe's playground.

Have you been to Gib or Spain before?

Gib itself is well worth a day - a van or cablecar tour of the Upper Rock followed by browsing the tax-free shops, pubs and minor sights of Main Street.

If you've never been to Spain before and don't expect to get the chance later in life, I guess the excursion is one way to do it. Not a great way to do it, but better than never.

All just MHO as always ;)

JB :)

Thank you for your reply and information. I have been to Gibraltar before, so was thinking this might be something a little different to do. I wasn't sure how long it would take to get there. Maybe we will rethink doing something in Gibraltar. We could just walk around a bit and maybe get a nice lunch, have an quiet day with no rushing around. Sometimes those kind of days can be relaxing. Thanks again for your prompt reply and insight. Pj

Thank you for your reply and information. I have been to Gibraltar before, so was thinking this might be something a little different to do. I wasn't sure how long it would take to get there. Maybe we will rethink doing something in Gibraltar. We could just walk around a bit and maybe get a nice lunch, have an quiet day with no rushing around. Sometimes those kind of days can be relaxing. Thanks again for your prompt reply and insight. Pj

We've been to Gibraltar as well, so like you, was looking for something different to do there when in port this Ocotber. We've also been to Marbella several times and found it to be lovely, but wouldn't advise doing it on a long-day ship tour.

If you are fit, you might consider climbing up or down the Mediterranean Steps on the Rock. There is also a new hiker's suspension bridge that can be accessed from the steps. Here is info emailed me from the GTB:

"If you would like to do the Mediterranean steps and the suspension bridge, the best option would be to get the number 2 bus from the city centre up to garrison library. From there you can walk up to Jews gate and start your hike up the steps. The steps will lead you up to Ohara` s battery which is the highest point of the nature reserve. From there you can walk down to royal Anglian way and cross the bridge. Then you can walk down to where you started through Jews gate to Garrison Library or walk down engineers road and then rock hotel hill into town."

How are your nerves for driving in Spain?

If you're prepared to rent a car (there are several international rental agencies a very short walk from the Gib / Spanish border), we can suggest several potential routes / destinations in "real" Spain, depending on your ship's hours in port.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I would definitely give Marbella and Puerto Banus a miss. It is not glitzy nor does it have the prestige it had years ago.

For ships docking in Malaga I would hire a car and drive to the Caminito Del Rey, a lovely area at the back of Malaga.

From Gib I'd possibly go to Castellar de la Frontera, a quaint hilltop town in the mountains behind Gibraltar. For those not visited Gib before, well, there is plenty to see there.