Tim's EPIC, NCL EPIC Review

Timsierramist

It kept me entertained for a good 10 minutes or so. But now I wanted to go back and do some snorkeling to see what else I could find in the lagoon.

20170120_132116_zpsjinvcgoh.jpg

So I headed back down the path to Downtown Great Stirrup Cay. The Big City.

20170120_133030_zpsm2ejurmp.jpg

I went back out and snorkeled for a good 2-3 hours. Although I had brought my own equipment, I didn't bring my Scuba fins with me. So I rented them. They'll be forced to issue you a life vest, but you are not required to wear it. I don't mind SCUBA BCD's because they deflate easily and let you go down when you want to, but snorkeling vests annoy me having to blow air in them without a tank. So I avoid them when I can because if I see a certain shell or Starfish or other Marine life of interest like a Turtle, I want to go down and be there with it.

20170120_154031_zpsguyvgkjp.jpg

Just be warned that if you rent "only fins", they might charge you for the entire rental package even though they do rent "just fins". Make sure you check your statement and get it corrected. $10 gets you a decent way in gas in my little Prius C on my return trip from Florida to California.

20170120_154143_zpscqastvm6.jpg

So anyways, the sun was setting and the lifeguards finally had to drag me kicking and screaming from the water.

20170120_154143_zpscqastvm6.jpg

I did some last minute browsing of the shops and checked out this old grave that was nearby the line to get back on the ship.

20170120_155507_zpsgp86f5i5.jpg

Norwegian Cruise Line placed this plaque here in his honor including what was originally on the headstone since it was hard to read.

20170120_155542_zpsgovnuec5.jpg

Paid my respects and it was a great thing for Norwegian to do. Is there anything worse than being forgotten?

20170120_155548_zpskjn1fkp5.jpg

Anyway, here is the line to get on a tender and back on the ship.

20170120_155747_zpsiffmafv9.jpg

20170120_161124_zps6bvifkdi.jpg

Now that is what I call a wheelchair.

20170120_161213_zpszxzfobho.jpg

Edited by Timsierramist

It did take awhile to get back on a tender. But that was okay. I was trying to soak in my last day of the cruise and enjoy it.

20170120_161455_zpsqoujm3me.jpg

Finally going aboard.

20170120_161732_zps33y4gi7m.jpg

The Bahamas man...just wow.

20170120_161739_zpsv5pzg5iz.jpg

What's cool about this tender is they have a foot rinse area just before you get on to get rid of all that sand you no doubt accumulated from shore.

20170120_161821_zpsr7yaz58q.jpg

20170120_161900_zpsh3trduog.jpg

Arriving back to the ship as the sun sets.

20170120_162817_zpsqlabojum.jpg

Last one off the tender.

20170120_164117_zpss4src5zp.jpg

Dinner. NO! I'm not putting on pants after a great day in the Bahamas, Manhattan elites! I started Table service with Taste, I'm ending it with Taste.

20170120_175805_zpsm4axzf0z.jpg

Finally had the sense to get a snapshot of the menu for the last dinner onboard Norwegian Epic.

20170120_175817_zpshspo2a6x.jpg

I chose two appetizers. First was Cream of Asparagus Soup.

20170120_180644_zpstfuxcr6u.jpg

And a very strange "Shrimp & Watermelon Salad". Yes. That si Shrimp, Watermon and Cheese bits you see there! :eek: Just eat everything seperate. It's good...seperate.

20170120_181335_zpst17zi9va.jpg

Main Course: Chicken Parmigiana

20170120_183559_zpsvxuwfeez.jpg

Desert menu.

20170120_183559_zpsvxuwfeez.jpg

Snickerdoodle Pound Cake for desert.

20170120_184240_zpszt1qugbs.jpg

Tonight's movie at Spice H20 Club was E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial. I kid you not, I had not seen this movie for at least 20 years. What a perfect opportunity to enjoy it.

20170120_194157_zpsmboe7tpj.jpg

So off to bed. But I did get up early to witness our return to Port. Here we are at Port Canaveral again. We've come full circle, and sadly our cruise has come to an end. The same ships we departed with were here with an added Carnival ship.

20170121_064254_zpsdwvvqvsm.jpg

So there was that $10 discrepancy on my bill from the fin rental on Great Stirrup Cay. But you cruise vets know darn well what Guest Services is like the on debarkation day! Yeah. Keep it NCL. It's a tip for such an amazing cruise. My priority is getting off the ship as fast as humanely possible. Why? I have to make it to New Orleans in a Prius C before bedtime. And those major tornados that ravaged the southeast a week ago are starting to form in the very middle of my route. I had many first on this trip. But one thing I'll make an exception for is a Tornado. So let's move before it's too late.

Screenshot_20170121-133150_zpsgv3fua4x.png

20170121_071903_zpsyc7kwqm8.jpg

Last moments onboard

20170121_071918_zpsoxznfkax.jpg

Grabbed an uber and took one last look before riding off into the sunset.

20170121_072806_zpsjsd6ucwr.jpg

Well, i'm posting here today, so yes. I made it. The turbulence you see in the video is the wind trying to shove my car off the road.

[YOUTUBE]lgLQ3wDakyQ[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Timsierramist

So from here, the back half of my vacation would take me to New Orleans, a Swamp Tour, The Alamo, Carlsbad Caverns National Park, White Sands National Monument, Tombstone, AZ, Saguaro National Park and finally home.

So final thoughts. Thanks for reading through this far. It really wasn't a bother to post, as I had fun posting. I got something out of it to, including reliving my cruise again.

I know there are negative reviews for Epic. Perhaps my expectations are just not that high yet, as this is only my second cruise and my first was Carnival Imagination. Further, I like big ships. I would rather have to grudgingly decide between two things I really want to do on a ship than open the daily activity planner and realize there is nothing I want to do.

The crowds really were not as bad as I always have heard, and I live in So Cal. So maybe i'm just used to it? Never waited to eat unless it was at Shanghai's. Always found solice in my "private dining room". My studio cabin was more than adequate for my needs. Always had something to do.

So if you are hesitant to press the "buy" button on NCL for Epic, I say don't. You are going to have a good time, if you know what you want to do and you plan for it (book shows before they "sell out").

More than happy to answer questions and comments as I can. But for now, this took up a few days of my time, so it's time to take a brake from the PC. Thanks again for reading this far! Until my next adventure (later in February to Canada).

20170125_133204_zpsbs5wlae6.jpg

How did you sign up for the jet ski excursion? I'm not seeing it as a choice on our Feb. 11 Epic sailing!

It should definitely be an excursion option under the Great Stirrup Cay Excursion page when you sign on...unless it sold out! :eek:

I would call the Excursion desk as soon as possible to see. 1.866.625.1167

Thanks so much for the positive review. We will be on her in early March. That is quite a ride from PC to New Orleans, by yourself, after a cruise, in a bad storm. We live just outside Tampa and being retired we take it slow and easy. Tampa to Tallahassee, then Tallahassee to New Orleans. Of course more times than not we have to stop in Biloxi for a couple of nights :>)

Whatever is that awful mess on your plate? It looks totally disgusting

OK, what was the positive intent to your post? The OP is sharing his experiences, which is appreciated and what CC is really all about.

Are you high or drunk, it appears so? Your post on this thread doesn't seem rationale in context; if not 'liking' something the OP shares, please move on.

We all thank you. :)

thank you so much! I am getting on her Sat and excited! Reading your post helped me remember a couple things and your you tube of the studio cabin was helpful since I will be down the hall from where you were. Can't wait and happy you had a great time and were positive about it. In the end that becomes much more helpful

I've seen several places talk about Spice H2O being an adults only area, but if they show kid friendly movies like ET and Finding Dory, doesn't that attract kids? Are they also showing that same movie elsewhere or are kids allowed in when those movies are going? I'm all for respecting adult only areas (sometimes I want to be there when my kids are at their club), but this just seems odd. Any clarification for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've seen several places talk about Spice H2O being an adults only area, but if they show kid friendly movies like ET and Finding Dory, doesn't that attract kids? Are they also showing that same movie elsewhere or are kids allowed in when those movies are going? I'm all for respecting adult only areas (sometimes I want to be there when my kids are at their club), but this just seems odd. Any clarification for me?

I believe H2O is only adults only till 6p and then it is open to everyone, makes sense since it is the only outdoor movie screen.

That was great to read from a Solo's perspective. I'm going alone in March, and was curious did you ever have any difficulty finding a lounge chair on the deck for 1?

I never tried by the pool. But I never had an issue finding a lounge chair on the top deck at the very front of the ship or in Spice H20 Club on deck 15 at the very back. That's the other great thing about going solo. You can kinda sneak through crowds at a faster pace since or fit into situations where you couldn't in a group, like a tender or a solo chair, etc.

Had some requests to open up photos from the cross country trip to Florida from California. Most people would probably shy away from that, especially an introvert like myself, but i'm also a keyboard warrior. So have at it. Enjoy. Plenty of selfies, doubles photos and other unedited pics. All taken with a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. No compromising info in there, except my license plate which is under special confidential status with the DMV, so have at it...

https://goo.gl/photos/RUd278t9wm4oUA5n8

Refer to the map if you are not sure where the pictures were taken. Enjoy.

Capture1_zps1mxmy9km.png

We did them last week and got an hour. It was a blast and highly recommend to everyone.

The snickerdoodle dessert was great too but my fave was the orange chocolate mousse. Yum.

Not sure what to expect on a Wave runner, I left all my stuff in the locker. Camera included. Sorry folks. But I'll detail what I can.

You file down to the dock and are ordered by those who have the most experience on a wave runner. From 10+ to zero. Those with more experience go with the first guide who will go much faster and those with no experience start off slower with another guide.

You sit on the waverunner and they push you off the dock and you are off.

You'll get about 30-45 minutes on the Wave Runner and I can certainly say that this was probably my second favorite thing I did on this trip, behind Stingray City. I had to stop and realize to myself that I actually had a big grin on my face and it was true love from there. I knew then and there I would have to get a Wave Runner sooner or later for personal use.

We did a tour of some of the back islands, including historical prohibition buildings that were still standing from rum runners as well as a stop a good 2-3 miles off shore to a sand bar similar to what we did at Stingray City. There you could get off and do some swimming or snorkeling. Wasn't much sea life around, but guides picked up a few Starfish so you could see them up close.

Finally we came back. I had an absolute blast.