Beach walking distance

bosco2935

Which ship? There are 2 docks on most islands, including St Thomas so you can't determine which beach is closer without knowing where you'll dock. I don't know if any St Thomas beach, though, is close enough to walk with a 13 month old unless you have a stroller.

Morningstar Beach is closest to the Havensight dock, but definitely not walkable. No sidewalks for the most part and hilly, winding roads.

Taxi from Havensight should be approximately $6 per person each way and driver has discretion on charge for kids.

Lots of toddlers ride in the taxi safari without a car seat, but one taxi driver told me he has a car seat. Supertaxiservices.com. Taxi driver is Nael pronounced like Neil.

I found him by calling taxis in VI Yellow Pages asking if any had a car seat. He was the only one who said yes, but I have never met him - just talked to him by phone.

It's about $2 more to get to Magens. Distance isn't the issue here, because island is so small, but Magens is about 20 minute drive North, whereas Morningstar Beach at Frenchman's Reef is about 10-15 minutes on southeast side of island.

You might also like Emerald Beach, which I believe is the closest beach to the cruise docks. I've walked from the Crown Bay dock to this beach many times with adults and teenagers, but never with a 13 month old. The walk with adults is an easy 20 minute walk along sidewalks. Of course if you're docking in at the West Indies dock you would not want to walk here as it would take over an hour.

• 3 weeks later...
You might also like Emerald Beach, which I believe is the closest beach to the cruise docks. I've walked from the Crown Bay dock to this beach many times with adults and teenagers, but never with a 13 month old. The walk with adults is an easy 20 minute walk along sidewalks. Of course if you're docking in at the West Indies dock you would not want to walk here as it would take over an hour.

Thanks for posting this, as I will be on Oasis and plan to go to Emerald. I do have a couple of questions though. Where do you ask the cab to drop you off and also will the Emerald Bay hotel rent you chairs?

If you walk to Emerald Beach and go to the Island Beachcomber hotel they too have chairs for rent. Alternatively, if you plan to have drinks or food, you could just go swim in the water and afterwards sit up at their beach bar. No charge for sitting in those chairs if you're buying something!

If you walk to Emerald Beach and go to the Island Beachcomber hotel they too have chairs for rent. Alternatively, if you plan to have drinks or food, you could just go swim in the water and afterwards sit up at their beach bar. No charge for sitting in those chairs if you're buying something!

Thanks Geri. I assume just leave your "stuff" on the sand and go swim.

Do you know what they charge for their beach chairs?

It looks like you are at the West Indian dock/Havensight. There are no beaches within walking distance. The closest by taxi are Morning Star (at Frenchman's Reef), Bluebeard's Beach Club (aka Lime Tree) and Bolongo.

I will be in St. Thomas on a RCI ship. Will these be the closest beaches? Which one is the closest and nicest beach you can recommend? I have a commitment to get back for mid-afternoon.

I will be in St. Thomas on a RCI ship. Will these be the closest beaches? Which one is the closest and nicest beach you can recommend? I have a commitment to get back for mid-afternoon.

We will be docking at Crown Bay. I did not realize that the port was changed from Havensight to Crown Bay for RCI ships.