Harmony of the seas: worried about seasickness

Regarding the answers: don't cruise. you mostly complain etc.

And I do have concerns. I admit.

I know the kids would love it! there are so many activities for kids on the Harmony, they would be thrilled!

I've read so many cruise reviews, and saw many youtubes, but couldn't find the information / youtubes I need for family cruising. And I'm hearing different opinions from people that cruised: some love it, some don't.

I'm trying to get information to make sure this is the right choice for our trip. It's not like: we'll try cruise this year, and if we don't like it we'll go to Hawaii next year...

So, please be patient. The answers really really help!

There is only one way to find out...... take the darn cruise, you'll love it! As I said in a previous post, you'll be ruined by this ship, she's big and beautiful. Seven days is not a lot of time but just DO IT!

OP, I see where you're coming from as I cross that line all the time from being a prepared person to an anxiety-induced researcher before a trip.

I've never been on a cruise, big or small, where I don't feel it, but I often forget it's even happening. The bottom line is everyone responds differently. Even if there was a validated study on the percentage of people who get seasick and to what degree on cruises/size/itineraries, you won't know how it will effect you and your family personally until you actually experience it.

The best thing to do is bring the meds/patches and don't let it even be a thought as there is so much more to enjoy and think about. If it happens, it happens. Ultimately, you are responsible for the decision no matter what anyone else says. Go with the mindset you will have an amazing time because for the most part everyone does. As previously said, go for it, you'll love it!

I last cruised in 2012. It was my first cruise and we were on the Oasis. I bought Gravol, ginger candies, sea bands, everything just in case we got sick. Turns out I didn't need any of it. We were fine. Now granted, you do feel the ship move … I felt it when I was on the toilet and when I was lying in bed. Sometimes even when I was walking down the hall. But honestly, it really wasn't that bad. It wasn't anything like you feel heavy swaying. It was a gentle sway. This was in good weather. I never experienced it in bad weather, so I don't know what that's like. I say, pack your medicines, your sea bands, your ginger candies and get on that ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Regarding the answers: don't cruise. you mostly complain etc.

Let me explain:

We relocated from Canada 8 years ago, and currently we don't live in US/Canada. We will travel 18 hours just to get to Florida. This is once in a decade trip for us, a trip of 5 weeks long, and I'm trying to get the best out of it. The cruise vacation supposed to be the grand finale of the trip.

And I do have concerns. I admit.

I know the kids would love it! there are so many activities for kids on the Harmony, they would be thrilled!

I've read so many cruise reviews, and saw many youtubes, but couldn't find the information / youtubes I need for family cruising. And I'm hearing different opinions from people that cruised: some love it, some don't.

I'm trying to get information to make sure this is the right choice for our trip. It's not like: we'll try cruise this year, and if we don't like it we'll go to Hawaii next year...

So, please be patient. The answers really really help!

Hi!

I don't know what book stores you have access to, but here in the US, one of the biggest is Barnes and Noble, which has an excellent reputation. They do quite a bit online selling as well. I found a book which I think could be helpful for you, perhaps. It is:

Everything Family Guide To Cruise Vacations: A Complete Guide to the Best Cruise Lines, Destinations, And Excursions

by Kim Kavin.

I hope you can find it and that it helps you. Good luck! - Miriam

Excuse my ignorance as a 1st time cruiser:

I see it odd... so many people replied here saying that they experienced sea sickness (to different degrees), and still continue to book cruising...

Why? What is so great about it that it's worth the risk? And taking medicines during a vacation? what is so exciting about it?

In the world of things that create motion but are still fun... cruising is low on the scale of motion but high on the scale of fun. I get motion sick on cruises.... but I get motion sick EVERYWHERE. I enjoy traveling but need motion sick meds to ride a plane, as passenger in a car, bus, train, or boat. So, no big deal. If i take a trip, I'm taking meds. IMHO, based on people I've talked to and known, of all those travel activities, cruising on a mega boat is pretty low on the scale of making people sick. If you don't get motion sick riding on a windy hilly road or on a plane with turbulence; I wouldn't sweat trying cruising. If you do, you know you do, so you at some point have to decide if you want to never travel or take motion sickness meds when needed.

What I enjoy about cruising is I really like sightseeing and seeing multiple places on a trip. So going to one city with no plans except to hang out at the beach isn't for me. I also enjoy going to one room to unpack for the trip and settle in and not feeling like I'm living out of a suitcase. Cruising combines those two things. Also Add in the ease of budget control where a majority of your meals and food are provided (and drinks if you go with a drink package). AI's are similar, we stayed in one once and will probably do it again. But then we are back to being limited to just one geographical area to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a lot of trouble with motion sickness, but I've been on several cruises. This is what works for me: A couple of days before the cruise I start taking Bonine (non-drowsy). I take it all during the cruise. Even though it's non-drowsy it still makes me sleepy, so I take it at bedtime. By the time I wake up in the morning, the drowsy effects have worn off but the medicine continues to work (it's a 24-hour pill). I don't have any trouble with motion sickness, no matter the size of the ship, unless we hit extreme weather. Has only happened once. It also helps to keep something in your stomach, and snack on green apples. They're usually available at the buffet or you can get them from room service. The movement felt on the Oasis class ships (for me) is not much at all. When we sailed on the Oasis we were outrunning a hurricane. No problem at all. I hope you choose to cruise.