Reflections on Reflection - Pluses and minuses

Yukonbear

We just got off the 7 days Western Caribbean and we had a really good time. I would recommend

Pluses

- I thought the food was great, nice variety and prepared well. We ate in the MDR each night except for one evening in Qusine. Since we enjoyed the MDR so much we did not feel the need to venture out to more specialty restaurants.

- We really liked the two comedians and the Celebrity live events. I did not see the other shows so I cannot comment on them.

- I liked the layout of the ship and other than the one comment below it was in great shape.

- Staff we very nice and accommodating

Negatives (and I am being a bit nitty here but this is a premium line)

- in 2017 why does Celebrity still manually record passengers attendance for Muster Drill. Why do they not scan our sea pass card. It is hilarious listening to the crew shot our random room numbers and names to see if they are the the theater.

- there were several chairs in the Opus dining room that are literally had the fabric on the arms in shreds. I am shocked these chairs had not been replaced yet.

- Cellar Masters was often not staffed or just had a single server. As this is the only spot to get a variety of beers that was a but of a disappointment.

- I would like to see Internet available by the minute. At the beginning it was only available by the day for unlimited access. It was only in the last couple of days whey did offer this but the rate was stupid.

- Given the technology and their partnership with Apple I would like to see them improve the bar service. So many guests have the beverage package it would be a real improvement if they could speed this up. Currently they need to slide the sea pass through the register and then press the key for the beverage. With lots of people at the bar this can be a very slow process.

All in all I am still very happy with this line and do plan on cruising with them again.

They are a bit lacking in the technology dept aren't they. And most cruise lines are the same. No idea why the servers (waiters and bar staff) don't have hand held scanners/tablets to take and place orders. It would speed things up and cut down on errors. We had the wrong entrees delivered several times on our last cruise, once even in Tuscan Grill. Also several mistakes with drinks in the lounges and on the pool deck. This would cut down on errors and cut down on waste. Because those wrong drinks are just money down the drain.

As for the "manual" muster recording -- I suspect that they do it this way because, in the event of a true emergency, they can't be relying on the ship having power (or for being able to retrieve the data that a scanner would store on the ships computers).

I know we all, for the most part, look at the muster as a "check the box" exercise that must be endured - but in reality it is a deadly serious event and should be done as close to "real world" as possible. Obviously without all the fear and panic that would likely exist if a real need presented.

Anyhow -- this is probably why it is manual.

They are a bit lacking in the technology dept aren't they. And most cruise lines are the same. No idea why the servers (waiters and bar staff) don't have hand held scanners/tablets to take and place orders. It would speed things up and cut down on errors. We had the wrong entrees delivered several times on our last cruise, once even in Tuscan Grill. Also several mistakes with drinks in the lounges and on the pool deck. This would cut down on errors and cut down on waste. Because those wrong drinks are just money down the drain.

Surprisingly enough, Princess has this now in their theaters, lounges, etc. Small tablets with card readers, where several waiters are taking drink order, inputting card and seat info then different waiters are delivering the drinks, just like we've experienced in multiple arenas and such in the USA...worked great, sped things up a lot... They also scan your seapass card at muster on hand-held scanners, same as are used for disembarkation and embarkation at ports. On the down side, you still have to carry your life jacket to Princess masters. Pain in the neck, to say the least .... And while we're at it, they don't usually scan cards for drinks at bars either - they input the 4-digit folio number. For regular bar visitors, they generally memorize those quickly, but for others, a quick look at the seapass card is all it takes....

On our Oasis cruises, I seem to remember hand held scanners also....

Perhaps Celebrity will follow suit soon on some of those practices.......

Edited by reedprincess