All answers will be appreciated

Im A Happy Cruiser

I have recently found out that I am allergic to propylene glycol which is used in making all food colors and flavorings. Can anyone think of a type of alcoholic beverage that I will be able to drink that does not use either of these additives? I have the premium drink package and hate to think that I might not be able to enjoy some adult beverages while on my upcoming cruise. Please help me think of something!!!

I'm not a doctor/nutritionist/chemist (but I DID stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night :p), but I would think that 'clear' alcohols would be safe. Mix in some fresh fruit and ice, blend well....volila!

But honestly.....I certainly understand your plight....there are artificial colors and flavors in nearly everything we consume, so this means you have to get back to 'as close to nature' as you can.

Talk with your allergist.....Google for forums where others might have some good suggestions.

Best of luck!

I have recently found out that I am allergic to propylene glycol which is used in making all food colors and flavorings. Can anyone think of a type of alcoholic beverage that I will be able to drink that does not use either of these additives? Please help me think of something!!!

In general, drinks without mixes. 1) Vodka + FRESH OJ 2) Manhattan 3) plain martinis - vodka/gin 4) Whiskey+soda 5) Gin + Tonic 6) wines? 7) authentic German beers should have few additives.

I am not a Dr but play one on CruiseCritic. GOOD LUCK

If you know which alcohols you CAN have, and I trust you know which mixers you CAN have, voila, equates to which drinks you CAN have.... I trust you have done enough basic research on this to some degree, in order to determine what you can or cannot have due to this condition.

In other words, X will have enough combinations so your beverage package will not be withering on the vine, as it were, for you.

bon voyage

I found your question very interesting, so I did a little research. Unfortunately there is no easy answer. Even clear liquors can have propylene glycol in them, as while commonly used for flavor and color additives its also used for other purposes.

If any alcohol beverage is marked as "purely organic" it is probably okay. Other than that, I suggest that you approach this question from an alternate perspective.

What drinks do you like? Make a list. Then research the individual ingredients and brands. Then you can come up with, and travel with a "safe" list.

Unfortunately, you can't make any assumptions at all...not even with wine, beer or vodkas. Not even with juices, unless you squeeze them yourself. If you want a very purest answer.

Sometimes, people have allergy thresholds. It may be that you are just hyper sensitive to certain concentrations. Only your allergist can answer those questions.

And...he should be able to give you a list of "safe" alcoholic beverages as well.

Thank you for all of the suggestions so far. My favorite drinks are ones with ice cream in them such as mudslide, piña coladas.etc. another problem is that most bought ice cream also has propylene glycol in it. Does anyone know for sure if celebrity makes their own ice cream and if all bars would have access to that ice cream? I really appreciate everyone that is trying to help with my problem.

Thank you for all of the suggestions so far. My favorite drinks are ones with ice cream in them such as mudslide, piña coladas.etc. another problem is that most bought ice cream also has propylene glycol in it. Does anyone know for sure if celebrity makes their own ice cream and if all bars would have access to that ice cream? I really appreciate everyone that is trying to help with my problem.

One would guess that some supplier provides the ice cream used on a Celebrity ship.

If they're putting ice cream in your pina colada then somebody's screwing up because the only things that should go in there are pineapple juice, coconut milk and rum and the chopped ice.

I would stay away from wine except extremely high end stuff because they do throw in all those sulfites in the less expensive stuff and who knows what else.

Make sure they don't put any maraschino cherries in your drinks. That has everything you are trying to avoid.

Try to enjoy your cruise.

I don't believe they make any bar drinks with actual ice cream. I know their mudslides do not have ice cream.

Also, as for ice cream served on the shop, the sources are different. The gelato and ice reams in the ice cream counter at the buffet are made in house daily (although, I don't know if they are made from "scratch" or with a pre-frozen base. I'm not certain about the ice creams in the dining rooms. The frozen soft-serve from the machines is from a mix.

What type of reactions do you have if you ingest it? I have a ton of food allergies. Some I react a little to and is worth suffering through and some I react a ton to and really avoid. Also know that food allergies constantly evolve so what you may be allergic to now you may not be allergic to in 10 years. I haven't had crab in years because it started causing me to break out in hives and itch from head to toe. We are doing Alaska next year and I am hoping my allergies have changed because I really want some Alaskan crab. I'm planning on having my seafood allergies retested before we sail.

What type of reactions do you have if you ingest it? I have a ton of food allergies. Some I react a little to and is worth suffering through and some I react a ton to and really avoid. Also know that food allergies constantly evolve so what you may be allergic to now you may not be allergic to in 10 years. I haven't had crab in years because it started causing me to break out in hives and itch from head to toe. We are doing Alaska next year and I am hoping my allergies have changed because I really want some Alaskan crab. I'm planning on having my seafood allergies retested before we sail.

This! My allergy tests have me allergic to every grain, tomatoes, egg yellows (not whites), etc. I do know that the only reactions I have are to soy in certain forms and to coconut. Soy is easier to avoid, at least in the forms that cause me stomach aches, coconut is more difficult these days but luckily it is the only food I truly despise so I tend to taste it early enough and am able to get away from it before the headache and swollen tongue start. Talk with your allergist not only about what to avoid, but how much to avoid and about the alternatives. Sure glad I grew out of the strawberry allergy I had as a baby... Also monitor the food issues every few years because food allergies to change.

I have recently found out that I am allergic to propylene glycol which is used in making all food colors and flavorings. Can anyone think of a type of alcoholic beverage that I will be able to drink that does not use either of these additives? I have the premium drink package and hate to think that I might not be able to enjoy some adult beverages while on my upcoming cruise. Please help me think of something!!!

The Chef has references for avoiding ingredients in the dining room that affects individual allergies. Maybe, the Chef, thru the Maitre D' or the F&B Head, can help you specify to the bartender, which ingredients they use that should not be included in your drinks. Propylene glycol may be unknown to bartenders.

Edited by easyboy

Most drinks will be PPG free. There is no PPG in wine or any drink with tonic... gin and tonic, vodka tonic. If they are using organic or fresh juices with a rum or tequila also fine. Just avoid any ready-made mixers. They are terrible anyway. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums